Author Topic: Have to vent a little  (Read 4173 times)

toeyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Have to vent a little
« on: Sep 09, 2007, 07:32:56 PM »
 :shocking: Ok im in the  middle of rebuilding my 83 22r, and the bills are adding up quick!!! I just need to vent a little and see what you guys think:

Bottem end-   bored hottanked painted balanced and COMPLETLEY ASSEMBLED with new pistons and bearings rigns, all that stuff-900 (i think this is where i may be getting raped, but actually the cheapest around and the best machine shop around) Thats rebuild kit and gasket kit included. Of course it will probably be fel-pro and no i wont use the head gasket :slap: 

Valve job with brand new valves and components-250
Cam-160
clutch- after shipping-200
resurface fly wheel-45
arp head studs(I know its not mandatory)-140
Good head gasket ill say 50 bucks

All this look pretty well normal? I see alot of threads saying guys pay 900 or 1000 a complete rebuilt every now and then, i dont know how they do it! Hopefully it will be all worth it in the end. For almost 2000 dollars it better be. :down:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Have to vent a little
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
chad, i had $1200 in my  first buildup  and i did  all the assembly work, and all the port matching

get your head gasket  here http://www.rockprod.com/

you want a Multi Layer Steel gasket

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »
When I did mine  I thought I would save and do myself  I have 2500 in motor doing all work (other than Machine) my self. i could have done a full LC motor for 3K or a 3rz for less.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »
this is a hijack.

Glen, I am curious why you always push the MLS gaskets, these engines came with a standard composite gasket from the factory.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2007, 11:41:22 PM »
I rebuilt my 22r for $750 & that included having the cylinder head rebuilt, new pistons & rings.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:20:31 AM »
I rebuilt my 22r for $750 & that included having the cylinder head rebuilt, new pistons & rings.

:wall:  :wall:  Is that any machine work to the block? You gotta think also, labor has increased alot in the past years too. Ive talked to guys that said they used to get valve jobs done v8 heads for 80 to 100 bucks. What got me is all thebig parts im adding, i couldve easily used my engnbldr cam i already had, probably reused my clutch untill i did a 5spd tranny swap and orded a set of 25 dollar head bolts instead of 140$ arp's.

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2007, 10:09:56 AM »
:wall:  :wall:  Is that any machine work to the block?
My block was good.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2007, 10:13:40 AM »
Just to cheer you up...here you can buy a rebuilt ready to go long block for $950 http://www.risingsunengines.com/

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2007, 10:19:14 AM »
Just to cheer you up...here you can buy a rebuilt ready to go long block for $950 http://www.risingsunengines.com/
Thanks Mini, I know that cheers me up  :gap:

87 4Runner redo

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »
Yea cheers me up alot :thumbdown:, na im just playing....but it doesnt matter anyway, id rather have somthing that i know exactly whats been put into to it, plus its gotta be done if i want to drive it any time soon. Really all i was wondering is if 1500-1600 was about par for a complete top to bottem rebuild with the normal upgrades...cam, clutch all that stuff, unless of course the block doesnt need machining and the heads already in good condition, but who gets that lucky ???

Whats it cost these days to rebuild say a 350 top to bottem, using stock heads and maybe after market intake and carb. Just tring to compare alittle, surely it would cost alot more than a 22r rebuild.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:01:14 PM »
Yea cheers me up alot :thumbdown:, na im just playing....but it doesnt matter anyway, id rather have somthing that i know exactly whats been put into to it, plus its gotta be done if i want to drive it any time soon. Really all i was wondering is if 1500-1600 was about par for a complete top to bottem rebuild with the normal upgrades...cam, clutch all that stuff, unless of course the block doesnt need machining and the heads already in good condition, but who gets that lucky ???

Whats it cost these days to rebuild say a 350 top to bottem, using stock heads and maybe after market intake and carb. Just tring to compare alittle, surely it would cost alot more than a 22r rebuild.
you could "freshen up" a 22R  with new rings and bearings  and gaskets  for $500  but  you wanted performance

i would have skipped the arp  head bolts

this is a hijack.

Glen, I am curious why you always push the MLS gaskets, these engines came with a standard composite gasket from the factory.
they will handle the higher compression of a  20/22 hybrid,  and will not  blow  a gasket near as easy  ive had mine leak, and then actually  reseal after the engine cools
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
just buy a 3rz from a junkyard and get some real power and reliability and save money all at once.  you should be able to find one with all the parts needed for the swap for under $1500.  Ive never had a 22re owner ride in my truck and not comment on the power

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:37:08 PM »
Yeah i suppose your right glen, its just money anyway right? Isnt that what money is for, to spend ?:cheese: :burnout:

Oh yea, is the rock head gasket that engnbldr sells a mls gasket?

scott85runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:00:20 PM »
just buy a 3rz from a junkyard and get some real power and reliability and save money all at once.  you should be able to find one with all the parts needed for the swap for under $1500.  Ive never had a 22re owner ride in my truck and not comment on the power
                                                                                                                       i have never heard anybody suggest a 3rz over a 22r,especially while mentioning reliability and saving money.it cost me over 400 to just replace the head gaskets on a 3rz and that was me doing all the work.mine had plenty of power for the three weeks i drove it before the rod broke,replacement cost for a 150000 mile junkyard motor was 1600 and i checked everywhere.oh yeah and it got about ten miles to the gallon.just my two cents worth

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »
your thinking 3vz not 3rz.  My 3rz gets 22miles to the gallon with 35's and has never skipped a beat no matter how many times I bounce it off the rev limiter

scott85runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »
oh yeah i rebuilt a 22r a year ago.i had the cylinders honed,rods resized,head resurfaced,valve job,and the block was decked for 400 bucks.the only parts i replaced were the cam,two rockers and the oil pump.i got the rebuild kit from northern auto parts without the pistons but including the cam for 250 or so.i had somewhere around 900 in it with me doing all the assembly and replacing the clutch while had it apart.

scott85runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:27:29 PM »
sorry my bad.everytime i see anything about a 3liter yota i get a little emotional.i wasted to much money on that pile.

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »
2.7 liter 4cly

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2007, 05:19:23 PM »
oh yeah i rebuilt a 22r a year ago.i had the cylinders honed,rods resized,head resurfaced,valve job,and the block was decked for 400 bucks.the only parts i replaced were the cam,two rockers and the oil pump.i got the rebuild kit from northern auto parts without the pistons but including the cam for 250 or so.i had somewhere around 900 in it with me doing all the assembly and replacing the clutch while had it apart.

See i guess it all depends on the machine shops in different areas, thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than any machine shop within 3 hours drive of me, and i got prices from all of em.... Take what you can get i guess.

scott85runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2007, 06:32:20 PM »
i live in middle tennessee and at the time i thought the machine work was kinda high.from what ive seen the rebuild kits for a small block are cheaper than the 22r.i can buy a complete long block 350 for 650 locally and the cheapest ive found a 22 is around 1000.ofcourse the machine work would have to be more

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2007, 07:41:49 PM »

What machine shop you go to?  I might be rebuilding mine soon?
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

bad luck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 897
  • Male Posts: 271
  • Member since Sep '07
  • sas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2007, 03:56:16 AM »
I have had my 22re fully rebuilt for around 600 and they even resurfaced my fly wheeland the deck of my block

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:12:31 AM »
where the heck are you guys going for your machine work?
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »

I have had my 22re fully rebuilt for around 600 and they even resurfaced my fly wheeland the deck of my block

:eek:

scott85runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2007, 04:58:23 PM »
i had mine done at clacks machine in clarksville tennessee,only complaint i have is the guy doing the work said my cylinders would get by with just a honing so i didnt mike them myself.after a few miles its got a little piston slap at startup,nothing serious just kinda sucks on a fresh motor.i suppose the guy was trying to save me a few dollars as i told him i didnt drive the truck alot.

bad luck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 897
  • Male Posts: 271
  • Member since Sep '07
  • sas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 13, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
I dont know where you guys are at but im in cali