Author Topic: i dont know if i should buy this? 1991 sas runner  (Read 8023 times)

bajabooster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
heres the pics for the lazy  :gap:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
huge piece of :pokinit: run away... immediately
 :thumbdown: :( :maddest: :snare: :yikes: :shocking: :o :crazy: :nonono: :headshake: :nope: :puke: :reg:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
sorry i guess i dont know how to post pics i guess..lol,,,,why no good its gonna be my DD not my trail rig...come on why so bad..how hard would it be to make her flex??

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
 :bling:  Wow!  Chrome leaf springs!

No, I wouldn't buy that as a DD or Wheeler. :thumbdown:

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
WHY NOT!!!..WHO CARES IF ITS BLING BLING CANT SEE THAT WHEN ITS CRUSTED WITH MUD...I DONT UNDERSTAND...

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
chromed parts are weaker than regular parts, there is way too much lift in that truck, your stock spare size doesnt come anywhere near the size of the tires on it, the truck will ride like crap because it has way too many shocks, it was ghetto rigged. that steering system on there is some pos someone decided to put on because they have no idea how to build a truck properly.

if you want to roll that pos because of all the weak chrome parts and tons of shocks making the shocks useless and transmitting all the vibration from the road into the vehicle, then waste your money... you can build a real truck a hell of a lot cheaper than that, that isnt a huge pos....

if you dont want to take the advice of people here, that is fine.... you are free to buy a pos truck if you want

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
no i do want to take advice jimbo but people telling me that its a peice of sh*$t  and nothing else, thats not advice thats oppion so thanks jimbo i will probably not be purchasing the truck then. but do you think there is a way to take all the shocks off and put long travel ones in so it can flex out?? the lift is to big those are 39.5 inch MT's

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
WHY NOT!!!..WHO CARES IF ITS BLING BLING CANT SEE THAT WHEN ITS CRUSTED WITH MUD...I DONT UNDERSTAND...
Yo,f**k the chrome that's not the problem.Have you actually taken a look at the steering?.Do you actually know anything about steering?.You say it's mostly gonna be a DD,right?.THAT'S what makes it scary,that steering can fail while you're hauling ass down the road and cause you to get into an accident.That truck is an old school show truck,and that's it!!!.Now if you plan on buying it and change the suspension and steering on it thaen you'll be fine.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
no i do want to take advice jimbo but people telling me that its a peice of sh*$t  and nothing else, thats not advice thats oppion so thanks jimbo i will probably not be purchasing the truck then. but do you think there is a way to take all the shocks off and put long travel ones in so it can flex out?? the lift is to big those are 39.5 inch MT's
Shocks aren't the only problem as far as flex goes,it's the springs and steering as well.If you change the shocks and springs,that steering still may not allow the springs' full articulation,wich may cause the steering to bind and fail.

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
Put some new springs and a high steer kit and might be all right.
Is it regeared to move those tires? Might want to check that out.
Hell I would buy it and put my springs  and steering on it and beat it on the trails  :eyebrow:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i havent yet mentioned that those look like stock springs, they have little if any lift to them..... all of the lift is in that front spring hangar, way too much leverage on that part, a proper front spring hanger should look like this:

~ John F. Kennedy ~

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
so put new steering and spring and ill  be cherry or what?? notice how theres 2 shock on both sides of the front axel all the crwlers have 1. what would i do about that? and i think the origenal shock mounts on the rear axel have been removed so am i screwd there? oh and i would not no how to do any suspension mods too the truck..i dont know....he wants $7900 :confused:

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Yeah,it's actually not that bad of a truck,it just looks like it was built in the early 90s judging by the 15x14 Enkies and 39" MT Baja Belteds...If you actually like the way the truck looks and wanna use it ONLY as a DD,I would ditch that steering set-up and just get a hy-steer kit for it.Everything else will work fine FOR A DD.If you plan on ocational trail riding,that thing isn't gonna flex for shizzle,I would swap out the springs too.

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
for the amount of work you would have to put into that to make it somewhat safe and decent, you would be a lot of $ ahead finding another one and building it up correctly, as you would basically be rebuilding that one..... i am sure that seller thinks he built the vehicle the right way and wants more money than it is worth....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
as fro the shocks, you can easily weld new shock mounts to an axle

as for the extra shocks on the steering, those are steering stabilizers, which are a bandaid to crappy steering used to remedy shimmy caused by a poor design usually.... yes the stock system ahs a steering stabilizer, but it is not setup like that

~ John F. Kennedy ~

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
Go look through the classifieds here.  There are a couple of rigs in that price range or cheaper that are better built... unless you really gotta have the  :bling:

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Well there is a chance alot of those shocks are dummie shocks,meaning they're empty.It may have 1 working shock per wheel,and as far those being stock springs and all the lift being in the front hanger  :shake: ,I guess some people don't know what stock springs look like but I can tell you those aren't  :shake: .

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
dont care bout the blig bling i just want that gen 4runner with sas and i found one that hasent been beat to sh*t i need a trail rig-dd but if i got to do alot more work to make that happen then ill just find something else....

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
uggh i think i just threw up in my mouth a little bit! :reg:

You can get a much nicer truck for 7900 than that. If you look around you will see lots of nice BUILT SAS'd DD rigs with lots of goodies starting around 5 to 6 grand  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
cool ...you guys come across any sick deals ...post that shite

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
cool ...you guys come across any sick deals ...post that :pokinit:e

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26647.0 

Way cheaper,way more functional and the body style you want.

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
on second look they arent stock springs, they are a little taller than that, but they are still not very arched at all, they arent much lift and a lot of that lift is the huge front hangar

~ John F. Kennedy ~

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
i know i already ask if he still has it but he posted that runner in march 2006..lol,,,

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
i know i already ask if he still has it but he posted that runner in march 2006..lol,,,
Day-Um!!!,I didn't see that,I guess the "newb" comes out in me every once in a while,LOL...There's plenty of good deals out there though man,where are you located?.

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
new mexico...haha,,,i think im the only 1 on here

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

check here :dunno: check local 4x4 boards in NM
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
 http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593532  little far from you (you could actually find one like this but cheaper...depends on how patient you are), but just trying to show you what is out there for the price you were lookin' at.  An SAS is usually done for a reason, so it might be a little hard to find an SAS'd runner that has not been used...but it's not hard to find one that hasn't been abused.  You plan on rock crawling or just regular 4x4 driving?  Just out of curiosity, why are you so confident in wanting a solid axle?
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Just so you know what is wrong with that steering setup.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

bajabooster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
cool thanks guys i see why....why do i want a solid axel? same reason anybody would its a must for articulation and a locker, you snap axels left and right with ifs with a locker .