Author Topic: How to unlock a cell phone?  (Read 4439 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
How to unlock a cell phone?
« on: Aug 20, 2007, 09:58:58 AM »
I'm with at&t, snagged a used phone off ebay that's for cingular and it won't recognize my sim card.  I'm being told I need to get it unlocked but don't know how/where.  It's an lg cu500, if that helps. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: How to unlock a cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2007, 09:59:30 AM »
Go to cingular with proof that you bought it.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »
i wouldnt do that minisimp... here is why... att is trying to monopolize the market... and supposedly their old phones cingulars wont work with the newer systems..... they will try to repo the phone and say it was obtained illegally....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
Well, I started out with cingular and it's bounced back and forth between at&t and cingular whenever they decide to call themselves something different.  Backside of my bill says "cingular is now the new at&t"
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2007, 01:35:04 PM »
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/711995/how_to_unlock_almost_any_cell_phone_for_free/

I came across this, hope it helps.  Just do a google on unlocking cell phones and do some reading!  Alot of information about how you can pay to have it unlocked, and if you screw up it will lock for good!  Try e-bay too! 

One forum I saw said to find some little mom and pop style of place that is willing to unlock your phone for a small fee!
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007, 01:41:18 PM by cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2007, 02:47:45 PM »
Cingular was bought out by att, so I'm not sure why it won't read your sim card.  like cheesy said, take it to a mom and pop cell phone shop, they'll unlock it for like 5 bucks
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2007, 08:43:52 PM »
I think I found the same page this morning too, said they'd charge a "small fee" of $30 :yikes:
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »
You'd be better off finding some place local that will do it for less.

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2007, 11:21:46 AM »
i wouldnt do that minisimp... here is why... att is trying to monopolize the market... and supposedly their old phones cingulars wont work with the newer systems..... they will try to repo the phone and say it was obtained illegally....

Complete and utter nonsense.  I've been working for Cingular/ATT/PacBell wireless for a long time now.  Though the names have changed, the equipment at the cell sites has remained the same.  Many upgrades on the GSM network, but TDMA is still out there.  Won't be phased out until next year at earliest.  And that would be the plan regardless of the name changes, regardless of "monopoly" - it's simply the evolution of advancement in technology, you phase out the old stuff.  The UMTS stuff out there is the most recent, and fastest.

Don't fool yourself.  I can walk you into any cell site you'll see the old names along with the new names, all on the SAME EQUIPMENT.

roadcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2007, 01:12:32 AM »
you gotta go to a certain place. most dealers i went to wont do it. also not all phones are capable. you cant switcha metro pcs to anything else cause thier technology. its different from everyone else. tmobile cant take anyone cept for cingular or the the new AT&T. an vice versa. sprint can only take nextell an vese versa, you know they are sister companies?? thats all i can think of unless you are talkin bout gettting a phone from an independent than putting it on you plan. i hella researched it for my phones. i read so much crap i feel like a pro

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2007, 01:23:15 AM »
Complete and utter nonsense.

actually no it isnt. we are cingular customers and were told by several reps that our phones needed to be replaced as they were no longer compatible with the system -- so either you are right, or the company is a bunch of crack smoking liars
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

klmmicro

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Matzuki Project Page
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2007, 07:19:01 AM »
AT&T...yup, a bunch of crack smoking liars!  Won't go too deep into it, but they tried to screw me on a bill that was not mine.  Their mistake, I caught it, they acknowledged it.  Still took six months of "past due" notices and threats to my credit to get it resolved.  No longer a customer.

As for the phone compatibility with the newer network, that seems to be true.  My friend was with Cingular and they have told him that he will have to replace his phone soon to stay connected.  Looks like they are rolling out some new technology that the older phones cannot connect too.
Just out havin' fun...life's a beach!

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »
hope they dont make me buy this new phone crap I just got a blackberry and a sony 810... thats like 700 bucks.. !
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2007, 08:21:22 PM »
That's all crap, they just want ya to buy a new phone!  They can't make you get a new phone.  If they try their BS, tell them you've already been contacted by the competition.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
My dad (stocker) works for the competition :haha: 
RIP KYOTA

bigdaddypoppop

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jun '05
  • America love it or leave it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2007, 02:56:51 PM »
Did you all hear about the kid that unlocked an iPhone?  ended up trading it to a competitor of AT&T for a brand new Nissan 350z 3 more iPhones and a consulting job.  Smart kid

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »
ya i heard about that. i can also say that any branch store that you go to that is cingular (at&t) will tell you that you cant use an old phone and its pure bs. alot of oilfield workers in midland that go from one place to another all the time (pump jack to pump jack for example) STILL USE the old analog car phones because thats all that works out there. how long have the stores been forcing people to upgrade from analog now? 10 years? they will tell you anything to make you to make you buy a new phone and a new contract.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2007, 03:39:43 PM »
I'm not at all interested in a new contract either :nope:  I've been off my contract for a year and am on a month to month basis now.  I definately don't want to sign up with anybody and be obligated for another 2 or 3 years.
RIP KYOTA

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »
Dude, I'll make it real simple for you to understand.

I am THE GUY that goes to all the cell sites, and inspects all the equipment and new builds.  That's my career, been at it for about 10 years now.

I now what I'm looking at, and I'm telling you if you got TDMA, your phone still works in most places since everywhere I go - they have not yet removed the TDMA.

GSM will stay on for sure.  No sweat on that, I assume you're TDMA.

Anyway - it is true they have intentions on taking out the TDMA, but with the cost and logistics - it's a nightmare.  The higher corporate people I talk to are in charge of this very project.  They said a year ago it would be this coming December.  Now it looks like a push back to mid next year.  And as we all know with corporate, expect more details.

I don't care what the clowns in the suits tell you.  You wanna believe them, go ahead.  I'm telling you that I'm the guy that makes a living going 4x4 up mountains to cell sites and I know better.  Take it from my blue(brown and dirty) collar, your phone is good for at least 6-12 months.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »
I'm all gsm, both old and new phones.
RIP KYOTA

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »
 Customer ->:bumpinbutts:<-Cellphone companies.

I say it's all a great big conspiresy (sp?) to make more $$.

Germ  :beerchug:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

thilaka

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
Hi visit http://www.unlocking4u.com/lg-cu500/rs16wp9/ to unlock your LG CU500 mobile from cingular network .Here they ask you the IMEI number of your mobile .Then at last they deliver you code to unlock your mobile.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Hi visit http://www.unlocking4u.com/lg-cu500/rs16wp9/ to unlock your LG CU500 mobile from cingular network .Here they ask you the IMEI number of your mobile .Then at last they deliver you code to unlock your mobile.
Welcome to Marlin.... btw, are you aware that this thread is more than 5 years old? Your info might still help someone though, but the OP's situation has long since been resolved.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012, 10:43:29 AM by Stocker »
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »
don't ya just need a key? ???
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: