Author Topic: Working for RFD  (Read 13368 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Working for RFD
« Reply #90 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »

this is zoomed in as far as a cheapo digi camera will go.  I think this is Truck 1, which I believe has a length of either 105' or 110'.  Set at a max angle of I believe 70* or 75*, that puts us about 90-95' vertical feet above the ground, if my mental math is right.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:11:06 AM »
good view... in my 67 class we had truck 1 come from red bluff and the stick is 105' they who ever wanted to go for a ride strap in. they didnt let us climb it though :down:   but still a fun ride at night with a breeze. its super fun

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Mar 07, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »
good view... in my 67 class we had truck 1 come from red bluff and the stick is 105' they who ever wanted to go for a ride strap in. they didnt let us climb it though :down:   but still a fun ride at night with a breeze. its super fun

:yesnod:  It's kinda weird when you're climbing it though.  As you go up, the fly sections narrow (obviously, so they can fit inside each other)  In my case, my shoulders were brushing both rails on the 2nd fly, and I actually had to lean out above the rails on the 3rd fly so I wouldn't wedge in.  Not only were my shoulders wider than the ladder, but on ours, we have an axe, a rubbish hook, and a roof ladder bracketed to the ladder on the inside of the 3rd fly so we don't have to carry them up the ladder.  Makes it real tight! :gap:  Its definitely different climbing one of these in full turnouts and an SCBA, rather than just sweats (took a few test that included the aerial) and being tied off.  When you're really climbing, you only get to tie off at the top, if you're staying on the ladder.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »
damn, that would be a gut wrencher the first few times

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Mar 11, 2008, 06:53:58 PM »
not realy.  Pretty run of the mill calls so far.  I've head one fire, a vehicle fire in a junkyard.  Got to put that out all by myself, which was really cool.  It was cooking pretty good too.  Other than that, nothing real major. Sick people, car accidents, etc. We had two accidents that were crazy in their results though.

1) The roads were real slick, and this guy was coming up an onramp, and slid on black ice, and flipped.  The vehicle (s10 blazer) wound up on its lid off the side of the road.  It landed in about two feet of snow, driver crawled out the pass. side window, and the rig was fine!  No broken glass, no body damage, hell, the roll didn't even rip the mirrors off. 

2)  During our last big snow storm, 2 women in a ranger got hit by another truck on the freeway.  At the point where she was hit, the free way was raised on an embankment about 25 feet above the surrounding area.  She wound up going under the barrier fence, and rolling off the embankment.  She landed on her wheels, in a parking lot.  they took her to the hospital with her complaining of a headache  :o  If she had landed on her lid, or even on her side, we would have had a body recovery.   :conf:

Those sound good to me so far.   Making a good difference in the world.  :thumbs:

Your stomach must have been in knots the first time you approched that car fire.  :yesnod:

I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »
Those sound good to me so far.   Making a good difference in the world.  :thumbs:

Thats what I'm here for :gap:  Its an interesting predicament being in the fire service.  The "good" calls, the fires, the extrications, the water rescues, etc.  are things we always look forward to.  However, those same "good" calls mean someone else is having a :pokinit: day.  You almost feel bad looking forward to a fire.  But we justhave to keep telling ourselves "Its not our fault they are in the position we're in, but it's our job to make it better."  We can look forward to that :gap:

Your stomach must have been in knots the first time you approched that car fire.  :yesnod:

:yesnod: pretty much.  I was definitely nervous.  But training kinda kicked in, and I went to work.  Made a few small mistakes, but that's what its all about.  Making the small mistakes now, under supervision, so I don't make the big ones later.

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sep 02, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »
:woohoo:

Worked my last shift on probation yesterday!!  :woohoo:  Just thought I'd let ya'll know :gap:

-Ronald Reagan

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
:beerchug:

thats prob a good feeling. where are they going to stick ya now?

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sep 03, 2008, 02:50:11 AM »
:woohoo:

Worked my last shift on probation yesterday!!  :woohoo:  Just thought I'd let ya'll know :gap:
Congratulations!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Sep 03, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
:beerchug:

thats prob a good feeling. where are they going to stick ya now?

Gonna be a floater.  Basically I call in on the morning of my shift, and I go where there is an opening (someone sick, vac, etc.)  If there is no one off (very rare) We'll either ride 5 on a rig, or they'll man our rescues, which run 2 each.

Congratulations!
:thumbs: thanks!

-Ronald Reagan

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer