Author Topic: 2000 transfer case question  (Read 1469 times)

Destruct O

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '06
  • You call me "Destructive" like it is a bad thing!
    • View Profile
2000 transfer case question
« on: Jul 15, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »
My vehicle is a 2000 4x4 with the 3rz engine W59 transmission with the stock T-case.
The other day I had my truck in 4wheel drive to get some rocks for my neighbors wall that he is building and when I stepped on the trucks brakes the truck stopped but it felt like it slide forward did not think much of it out in the field. When I reached the hard payment road it did it again even with the weight of the rocks in the bed, took it out of 4wheel drive and tried it again it stopped on a dime no movement what so ever. After the rocks were unloaded in my neighbors yard, we were playing with the trucks 4 wheel drive system in his driveway when ever the truck comes to a stop forward or reverse no matter what type of terrain the truck is in or what speed the truck is at or even what range of 4wheel drive it is in when the truck comes to a stop it feel like it is sliding in the direction the truck was moving in. This only happens when in 4wheel drive Please help.

What was checked
Checked the rear drive shaft and the transfer cases rear flange it had very little movement,
Pulled the rear tires and checked the rear brakes and shoes no leaks and are in good condition
checked the fluid level of the rear diff , t-case and transmission, no leaks fluid is at normal level and still has the color of purple.
Checked the rear axle shafts both move in tire direction and has no side to side movement.
No modifications were done, the entire drive line is stock.
My neighbor looked under the truck while I went forward and reverse he seen no abnormal movement.
 :dunno:
Destruct O

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 2000 transfer case question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2007, 01:02:13 PM »
when 4wd  is engaged  the  abs  system  is  turned off,  so  when in 4wd  you slam on the brakes  it locks them up,  sliding the truck

when in 2wd  the abs  works  and doesnt lock up
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '06
  • You call me "Destructive" like it is a bad thing!
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 transfer case question
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2007, 09:54:17 AM »
when 4wd  is engaged  the  abs  system  is  turned off,  so  when in 4wd  you slam on the brakes  it locks them up,  sliding the truck

when in 2wd  the abs  works  and doesnt lock up

Oh man! That worries me even more, my truck did not come equipped with the ABS system.

It happens when the vehicle is cold and at normal operating temperature. I will admit the t-case does not get used a much as I would like it to it is more of a DD and a light work truck then anything else. It was raining pretty good in my area yesterday so I put it in 4wheel high and took it on the highway and was traveling at 65 for a good hour, first complete stop  was on the exit ramp it slide forward once again. I talked to a drive train specialty shop by my house today and I was explaining the symptoms and what I checked and did they said the exact same thing as 79coyotefrg did when I told them my truck did not come equipped with the ABS system. There was along pause and told me to bring it in so they can take a look at it.
Destruct O