Author Topic: I love craigslist sometimes!  (Read 8207 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I love craigslist sometimes!
« on: Jun 22, 2007, 10:49:43 PM »
I bought a bmx bike waaaay back in 91 or so.  It was a brand I'd never heard of and only cost $35, but I didn't care about the brand since it was a very unique frame.  I rode the crap out of it for several years and even had it stolen once, though I was lucky enough to get it back missing half it's parts.

Fast forward to now.  I haven't ridden it for a few years now and finally decided to try selling it first on craigslist then ebay.  I've had lots of interest and several offers for about $100 or less.  A week or so ago a guy dug up my ad and made me an offer.  $500 :yikes:  I said sure but asked him to thoroughly check out all the pics and be totally sure he wanted it before we went further.  He again checked the pics and offered $400.  I said yes but he'd have to pay shipping and he agreed! 

I'm still pretty happy with the final price even though he came down.  There's a slight crack in the seat tube that's been there as long as I've had it, just never noticed it cause it never sat long enough to gather rust and be so obvious, just always looked like a scratch.

He says he'll paypal me the money monday......we'll see what happens, but if he pulls through I'll be fairly stoked!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
Re: I love craigslist sometimes!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2007, 12:10:30 AM »
My CL experiences have been miss and hit

Negatives:

I have had ads flagged for no reason

I drove over 500 miles to look/buy at a truck that was misrepresented.

I have had people expect perfection in a $500 car that runs, drives with current tags and cold A/C.

Trying to rent a room, well that was a total joke

I have had people contact me via phone and say they are coming over only to not show

Positives:

I did have good luck selling a lot of my tools

My truck I bought off CL here in Redding.  (Funny thing is the guy said so many lowlifes with no money showed up offering him nothing)

I bought my wheels on CL for a song

Sold my old Centerlines in less than 30 minutes after posting.

My inclinometer

Sold my Snap On roll cab to the first person who called.

In the end don't hold your breath on CL

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2007, 06:15:05 AM »
Eh you gotta take CL with a grain of salt.  There are rules on there that most people don't even know exist. 

I hit a score on CL the other day :woohoo: and I'm supposed to hit another one this afternoon... :crossed: :hyper:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »
I bought a bmx bike waaaay back in 91 or so.  It was a brand I'd never heard of and only cost $35, but I didn't care about the brand since it was a very unique frame.  I rode the crap out of it for several years and even had it stolen once, though I was lucky enough to get it back missing half it's parts.

Fast forward to now.  I haven't ridden it for a few years now and finally decided to try selling it first on craigslist then ebay.  I've had lots of interest and several offers for about $100 or less.  A week or so ago a guy dug up my ad and made me an offer.  $500 :yikes:  I said sure but asked him to thoroughly check out all the pics and be totally sure he wanted it before we went further.  He again checked the pics and offered $400.  I said yes but he'd have to pay shipping and he agreed! 

I'm still pretty happy with the final price even though he came down.  There's a slight crack in the seat tube that's been there as long as I've had it, just never noticed it cause it never sat long enough to gather rust and be so obvious, just always looked like a scratch.

He says he'll paypal me the money monday......we'll see what happens, but if he pulls through I'll be fairly stoked!

Where is the buyer? Every time my daughter puts something on CL she emails me with these offers from Europe and Africa...like you can't find a digital camera in Scotland. Beware the scammers.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2007, 09:56:39 AM »
Oh, I know, I've dealt with the scammers before.  I've never known a scammer to use paypal though since it's trackable.  I always love the line "hello, I'm very interested in the product you have for sale and would like to buy immediatly!  Please tell me all you can about this product and I will send you a cashier's check plus $4000 for you to pay my shipper, then you just send me back the cash difference"

A little tip:  if the english gets more and more broken with each contact RUN!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2007, 10:00:35 AM »
Not to kill the buzz Nate, but you know how it goes, if something sounds too good to be true...

I know nothing about BMX bikes but doing a quick search it would seem to me $500 could buy you a decent brandy new bike. Why would someone pay $400 for a used bike (unless it is some real high end line that you were not aware of).

What brand is it? This sound highly suspicious.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »
Not to diss on your sweet old school 20 incher, but back in high school I bought a brand new 2000 GT Bump, set up with a gyro...swapped the pedals, grips, got some pegs and all for under$300 at a local BMX shop...i dont understand why this guy would want to pay $400 for that. Maybe he is just retarded? I dunno, hopefuly not a scam or something. Good luck with that, would be cool if you pulled 400 for that thing, hehehe
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »
Highly suspect. Be careful. He could go through paypal, get it and make some complaint that it was misrepresented and demand a chargeback.
This is happening to a friend of my with a eBay sale. Until it is resolved Paypal will take the money from your acct.  or put you in the negative.
And then the guy has the bike and you have to prove your case. Be careful.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2007, 02:34:43 PM by MrsWillyMammoth »
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2007, 04:03:19 PM »
Diane...you should snopes this!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2007, 04:28:57 PM »
Diane...you should snopes this!

LOL!

Where is the Mammoth?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »
i have an old bmx bike that is worth roughly 450 bucks, it depends on the brand.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

abriel68

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '07
  • 85 4runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »
ya some guy kept emailing me about my camaro that i sold.. he "lived" in canada but  kept saying he was going to have it shipped to florida to where his dad lived?? and yup i got that famous quote.. i'll send you a cashiers check and i would have to pay the shipper from the check then ii would keep the difference. i kept telling me to look at the pictures. he kept typing like he didnt know english.. like grammar and punctuation. his "name" was wong diaz. told him to CALL me but he never did and he said he did but he didnt. so yup... SCAM!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »
ya some guy kept emailing me about my camaro that i sold.. he "lived" in canada but  kept saying he was going to have it shipped to florida to where his dad lived?? and yup i got that famous quote.. i'll send you a cashiers check and i would have to pay the shipper from the check then ii would keep the difference. i kept telling me to look at the pictures. he kept typing like he didnt know english.. like grammar and punctuation. his "name" was wong diaz. told him to CALL me but he never did and he said he did but he didnt. so yup... SCAM!!

wong diaz? did u ask him if he's half chinese half messican??   :rofl2:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

abriel68

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '07
  • 85 4runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2007, 07:52:27 PM »
ya at first i was like what the crap! thats probably explains why his typing sukd.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »
won't tuch it  :nonono: CL that is
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »
i have an old bmx bike that is worth roughly 450 bucks, it depends on the brand.

:wink2:  There's somebody who knows what's up!  This is a rare, very rare bike.  I've only found ONE person at an area bike shop who knew what it was or anything of it's value, and that was the older mom owner.  The "old school" deal hounds are all over craigslist and are the only ones who've contacted me, save for one guy who didn't know what it was and offered me very little then began asking who made it.

The brand is gjs.  I didn't know what it was when I bought it but quickly learned of it's rarity. 

And please let there be NO snopesing in my thread, I hate that site with a passion! 

A quick little search did provide this though http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gjs/ , http://cgi.ebay.com/Minty-oldschool-GJS-A-frame-fork-BMX-Rare-version_W0QQitemZ330089744360QQihZ014QQcategoryZ56190QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
RIP KYOTA

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2007, 12:43:45 AM »
Pretty cool looking bike.Looks like Oddysey pit bull brakes and Powerlite bars?.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2007, 08:21:25 AM »

And please let there be NO snopesing in my thread, I hate that site with a passion! 

Why you hatin' on my snopes site :down: It is DA BOM!

But really... :shake: there is nothing to snopes here anyway... that was a little thing they call... a joke..

:wink2:  There's somebody who knows what's up!  This is a rare, very rare bike.  I've only found ONE person at an area bike shop who knew what it was or anything of it's value, and that was the older mom owner.  The "old school" deal hounds are all over craigslist and are the only ones who've contacted me, save for one guy who didn't know what it was and offered me very little then began asking who made it.

The brand is gjs.  I didn't know what it was when I bought it but quickly learned of it's rarity. 

A quick little search did provide this though http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gjs/ , http://cgi.ebay.com/Minty-oldschool-GJS-A-frame-fork-BMX-Rare-version_W0QQitemZ330089744360QQihZ014QQcategoryZ56190QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Welll see, if you had mentioned that up front we would not have been so suspicious. I thought you meant it was just some no name brand.

Where is the Mammoth?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 24, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »
Pretty cool looking bike.Looks like Oddysey pit bull brakes and Powerlite bars?.

:yesnod:  I started checking the vintage bmx sites but didn't join for fear I'd do a search and find out it's worth way more.
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 24, 2007, 10:49:21 PM »
nate said he is happy to sell it for that price that he is offered of $500

if the seller is happy, then he isnt getting worked -- he did also mention the seat tube had a crack in it, that would greatly diminish a frames value.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 24, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »
making me think about selling my old bmx'r..... :think:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »
:yesnod:  I started checking the vintage bmx sites but didn't join for fear I'd do a search and find out it's worth way more.

Looks to me like you might just want to know what it's worth. You could make some :bling:

Where is the Mammoth?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »
Well, he hasn't paid yet and he said he would today.  If he hasn't paid by the end of the day and hasn't made further contact I'll start looking at other possibilities :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2007, 11:20:58 AM »
Good luck with that Nate.  I'm trying to sell some rims on Craigslist now and the only people that respond to my add are from Texas.  I keep telling them sorry, cash in hand only and no shipping.  I've heard of too many scams.

I checked out that BMX museum website to find a couple of my old bikes.  Apparently I had a Torker that was pretty rare in the race scene of the early '80s.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:50:59 PM »
Both of those are in better shape than mine, not to mention I have a crack in the seat tube.  It's not a big deal, it's actually been there ever since I got the bike and I flogged it unmerciful, I just always thought it was a scratch until I took the pic. 

I remember Torkers, just can't remember exactly what they looked like.  An old friend had a DG, which if you know about old school you know these are very sought after and super valuable. 

No payment yet, but sometimes I'm a little later than I said I'd be too so I'm not jumping to conclusions.  If he doesn't pay tomorrow though I'll definately be looking at my other options.  I already found another bike I'd like to buy, just so I still have a bmx bike.

Honestly, I've always had good luck with selling bicycles, pretty much anything actually, so I'd like to hope my luck will continue.  We'll see anyway.

I think I'm going to join one of the sites and start poking around.  GJS stands for the name of the 3 owners, a father, son and friend I believe.  One of them is a member on the site I'm thinking about joining, which could help immensely with assesing value.
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »

Haha I didnt even realize it was a GJS, Ive never even seen one in person. I thought they were extinct. I havnt ridden in years though i abandoned that hobby for this one  ;)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:38:14 PM »
Abandoned hobbies :slap:  I never abandon, just push to the side :haha:
RIP KYOTA

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2007, 11:10:42 PM »
Abandoned hobbies :slap:  I never abandon, just push to the side :haha:

Same here.  I have a whole garage of "pushed to the side" hobbies.   :shake_head:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

mima

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 151
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2007, 11:41:40 PM »
Same here.  I have a whole garage of "pushed to the side" hobbies.   :shake_head:
there are just way too many hobbies... i try to stay away from any new ones... but that doesnt work...
85 yota, 4 in AP, 529s and detroits f&r, 35 in bfg mt, bed bobbed 12 in, AP winch bumper, warn 9000xdi