Author Topic: Can I buy a vehicle right out of the Police Impound?  (Read 2830 times)

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Can I buy a vehicle right out of the Police Impound?
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »
This truck here in town was taken to the Police Impound, and I want it bad. Can I buy it straight from the impound? Do I have to contact the owner or what?

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
I believe there's a policy that states the vehicle has to set for a certain period of time before it can be sold to a new owner.

atleast that's the way it is in CA where I live.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
its going to have to end up being a lien sale.... its a pain i nthe tail... talk to rocksurfer, he knows about this stuff..... the owner will need to be contacted but if they dont respond in a certain amount of time, or pay the impound fees, the tow company can sell it to pay for impound fees
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Its probably sat for two months. And Im in Cali too

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
go chat w/ the people at the impound and like Captain said... if they can't get ahold of the owner or if the fee's havn't been paid (typical) then you may be able to just buy it directly fromt he impound lot.

Just remember that you'll have to go through the hassle w/ DMV to get a title probably.. and if it has any back owed fee's for registartion or loan's then you'll have to pay that as well.

Do your research before you get in too deep.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Legally they have to auction the vehicle if it reaches the end of the lien process, the impound should have a list of vehicles going to sale posted in their lobby for the public to view. Of course that's what the law says they have to do with the vehicle, but what really happens is up to the impound weather they follow the law. Find out if and when the impound has their auction, then see if the clerk will tell you when it comes up for auction, or find out when they will sell it to you.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile

What I have found out over the last 12 years is most tow yards refuse to sell cars to the general public even on a lien sale.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
They're supposed to, but not all follow the law. That's why you may want to see if they may sell it to you. We always auctioned to the highest bidder, they have an aution almost everyday at one location or another. Check out these links and it will enlighten you on how much trouble you could cause a tow co. that doesn't auction each and every car they impound.

http://opgla.com/

http://www.opgla.com/pages/auctions.html
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It depends on the yard. If a tow company and not a Police lot they can sell after the lean sale I have bought 6 this way  the tow yard gave me a amount for the vehicles and the leinsale docs stated the dmv fees needed to register up to date . wrecked vehicles were a little different.(Bought for parts) I had to finish DMV fees before removing cars. If police impound, some have contracts with auction houses  to sell at auction. I have been to these and most have a 10 to 15% auctioneers fee on the selling price and they will also state DMV fees needed   so if car has back fees you will pay at the time of auction.

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Heres where I went   http://www.nationwideauction.com/ENU/default.asp   did one in City of industry   and one in bay area.   In fresno I went to bulldog towing    Mckinley & 99 area   set at bench outside and tony will take you back in a golf cart to see cars     I bought a 77 blazer for a grand there  few years ago had fact 4 speed stick, theft recovery 77000 miles top and mufflers had been stolen

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
The sign does say, Keep Out, Police Impound,but it has the tow companys name and phone number on the sign too. Should I just call the number? We'll see what happens

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
bring a tube of red dye or fake blood and ill bet u could get a few hundred dollars off the asking price  :think:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
we buy 3-5 cars a month from the police/sherriff

all are purchesed via lien sell