Author Topic: new girl needs advice  (Read 6786 times)

kyliewrangler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
new girl needs advice
« on: Apr 01, 2004, 05:40:32 PM »
I have decided to buy a 2003 Jeep Wrangler X, and i want a lift at least 3 inches. I dont know much (almost nothing) when it comes to lifts and what not, but if i could get some advice on what lift kit to buy and what kind of tires to buy then maybe i wouldnt feel like im in the dark. Please Help!!!!!!!!!

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: new girl needs advice
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2004, 06:25:46 PM »
STOP right there!  A (cough cough) heep!  I realize they are cute little convertables that many like, but what are your plans with said heep?  Do you plan on taking off road much or just cruising around?  I dont mean to sound harsh by any means.  I can and will help you in your quest for knowledge.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish, Im very sure everyone will help out as much as possible.
WT
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Red_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Member since Dec '03
  • BODY DAMAGE! I love body damage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2004, 07:55:14 PM »
Im advice is to get a toyota they are better looking and better wheelers

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:02:06 PM »
You must have a lot of $$$ to build up a 2003 jeep? If you don't go too crazy and depending on your needs, you can build a good daily driver/trail runner. Try buying one with the dana 44 rear axle if you can. You can also beef the dana 30 but the dana 35 rears are pretty fragile. Let us know what your plans are?
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:12:23 PM »
hey red runner, what's your rig got in mods?

1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

kyliewrangler [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:39:43 AM »
What makes a toyota better for off road? Im not as big as an off roader as you are most likely, but i do enjoy the outdoors to an extreme and i would love to get out there and have fun every once in a while. I do drive alot going to work and what not though on the streets so i need somthing thats good for both. thanks for all your help i know im clueless.

yotafreak

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2004, 12:13:08 PM »
Toyota reliability alone should be enough reason besides that I've seen stock TRD Tacoma's go places some lifted heeps, I mean Jeeps couldn't. It all depends on what you want out of your vehicle. If the convertable top is a must Jeep wins that contest hands down (at least on newer models.) You must decide the most important features to you and make a decision. Remember, your talking to "Toyota guys",  we're going to be a little bias!

J=just
E=empty
E=every
P=pocket
I understand the "Jeep Thing", that's why I drive a Toyota!

Red_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2004, 04:21:30 PM »
hay fred my runner has 5.29s arb up front detroit in the rear. its an 85 so its efi and sas custom front bumper and nerf bars and lots more it is for sell right now for 3500 but it has a rod knock

flipside_nv

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Rush hour on the Yota Highway!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2004, 04:48:04 PM »
hay fred my runner has 5.29s arb up front detroit in the rear. its an 85 so its efi and sas custom front bumper and nerf bars and lots more it is for sell right now for 3500 but it has a rod knock

Where can I see some pics?
Credit cards are evil............

Red_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2004, 07:38:22 PM »
I need to post some its in the parts for sell section

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2004, 09:24:09 PM »
nuttin wrong with jeeps, but your postin on a toyota board  :slap:

if ya got the money get a Rubicon, off the showroom they are pretty amazing!
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

kyliewrangler [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2004, 01:15:30 PM »
Dont get me wrong i love yotas. I actuallly used to be obsessed with 4runners but i cant stand the new model. Im still considering them i kinda like the toyota tacomas. But if i deided to go with that what would the advice be on a lift?

moutaintoys

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -63
  • Male Posts: 358
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2004, 04:59:17 PM »
pavement
Lets go break somethin "GO NAVY"

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2004, 09:10:44 PM »
Dont get me wrong i love yotas. I actuallly used to be obsessed with 4runners but i cant stand the new model. Im still considering them i kinda like the toyota tacomas. But if i deided to go with that what would the advice be on a lift?

Rubicon Express
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »
Yeah, if you have the cash spring for a rubicon with a five speed. They've got dana 44's front and rear, NVG241j t-case with 4.0 gears, rocksliders, e-lockers front and rear .... Just rip the top off and wheel anywhere in style.

-Fred

NWyoat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Feb '04
  • shake'n bake
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2004, 03:33:06 PM »
thats great that you are tryin to learn, keep it up. if you actually want to get and wheel. my best advice would be to go and get a good set of tires (they dont have to be brand new). and start wheelin as much as possible you will learn alot more in a stock rig. as far as the lift kits it depends on what you want (tire size, ride, etc.). just keep askin us questions, no question is a dumb one.
my half doors have beer holders.

Red_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2004, 07:07:21 PM »
hay with the mony you spend on the rubicon jeep you could invest it in to any toyota you whant and have about 5-10 thousand left in your pocket. And you would have every wheeler around checking out you and your ride :yupyup:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2004, 09:52:51 PM »
Well I guess it's my turn to pipe in. Well most likely the jeep will be stock right? Since you askin about lift, which is a good thing cause you will know whats in it. I would start with just a spring over kit, whick will move the leaf springs from the bottom of your axle to the top. That should give you at least 3 inches of lift I believe. and very inexpensive as opposed to a full lift kit. And if that is not tall enough for you or clear the tires you want you can always add 2 inch shackles for about $80.00. As for tires that are good all around and good road wear I would look at the BFG muds and Goodyear Wrangler MTR'S. I do not have any personal experience with these tires or a HEEP  :greengrin: thank you very much. But I have heard good things about those tires  :thumbs:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2004, 10:54:50 PM »
Well I guess it's my turn to pipe in. Well most likely the jeep will be stock right? Since you askin about lift, which is a good thing cause you will know whats in it. I would start with just a spring over kit, whick will move the leaf springs from the bottom of your axle to the top. That should give you at least 3 inches of lift I believe. and very inexpensive as opposed to a full lift kit. And if that is not tall enough for you or clear the tires you want you can always add 2 inch shackles for about $80.00. As for tires that are good all around and good road wear I would look at the BFG muds and Goodyear Wrangler MTR'S. I do not have any personal experience with these tires or a HEEP  :greengrin: thank you very much. But I have heard good things about those tires  :thumbs:

It's been a long time since jeeps had leaf springs ;)

If I got one it would definatly be a TJ, which have now been around a long time and she is looking for a newer ride so..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2004, 05:09:07 PM »
Yeah, TJ's come with coil springs and even(if you can find one) d44 rears.
I like the topless aspect of them jeeps but I'd rather get a fj40 as a trail beater if I want to be topless.
By the way, used jeeps are $$$$ and most of them you got to swap out the drivetrain to have some strength.
my .02

-Fred

Raven

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 156
  • Female Posts: 126
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Raven
    • View Profile
    • Raven Off-Road 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:38:24 AM »
I have decided to buy a 2003 Jeep Wrangler X, and i want a lift at least 3 inches. I dont know much (almost nothing) when it comes to lifts and what not, but if i could get some advice on what lift kit to buy and what kind of tires to buy then maybe i wouldnt feel like im in the dark. Please Help!!!!!!!!!

If you have any more questions about jeeps - the most informative place to look would be Jeep Forums
Get on your knees and kiss the boots - cause I'm the Queen here b*^$h...

Red_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2004, 07:06:46 PM »
to hell with the jeep buy a toyota it would be the smartest thing you ever did :laugh:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2004, 10:29:47 PM »
I totaly over looked the aspect of it beeing that new and haveing coils in front, I guess that tells you how much I know about jeeps  :laugh:  :laugh: guess thats why I'm 84runner and not 84jeep
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Red_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2004, 08:42:09 PM »
Junk Eachn Every Part :eyebrow: If you buy a jeep im going to  :slap: you Its all about the yotas mines for sell if your interested :beerchug:

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 17, 2004, 01:04:01 AM »
Hey 84runner,1997-present Jeeps,are TJs,and they have coils all the way around.1987-1995s,are YJs(leaf springs under axle).And prior to that are CJs.As for the girl looking to get a Jeep,if you're not gonna do any extreme wheelin',I would get a regular TJ,one with a factory 44 rear would be nice,but the Dana 35 rear will survive,if you don't run a tire larger than a 33,and if you dont wheel it hard.The 4.0 litre motors are really nice and powerful.I would go with a 4 inch suspension lift,with 32 or 33 inch All Terrains,since you're going to be doing mostly street driving.As far as the lift,Fabtech makes a nice one,I use to work at 4 Wheel Parts,and we sold quite a few,but there's a few other manufacturers out there,Rancho,Skyjacker,Rubicon Express,Rock Krawler,Pro Crap I mean Pro Comp,Etc.I know this post is old but I hope this helps.If not,hey,I was bored :dunno:.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:15:34 PM »

If you have any more questions about jeeps - the most informative place to look would be Jeep Forums

:thumbs: wot she said! While you will get some advice here, if you really want people that will be supportive in your decision to buy and modify a HEEP you need to check on a HEEP forum. :rofl2:  But in any case, whatever your decision, above all ENJOY!  :cheer:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:17:52 PM »
.I know this post is old but I hope this helps.If not,hey,I was bored :dunno:.
Oh CARP I didn't realize how old this post was till I saw this. Oh well. can't keep my $.02 to myself!
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit: