Author Topic: Cat Converter Questions  (Read 2281 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Cat Converter Questions
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
Catalytic converters = PITA.

I replaced my cat today and i kept running into a small problem. No matter how many times I tweaked it, on the header pipe side i cannot get the converter to seal completly. I have loosened it, moved it slightly, over and over and every time I do it it leaks a slight amount. I have done this about 12 times and each time it still leaks a slight amount. Everything is tightened down well, the gasket is in place and visualy it looks like the converter is directly over the gasket.

I am just wondering, is this going to cause any problems, short term or long term? Ive just about had it with loosening it and repositioning it. So what should I do? Suck it up and keep messing with it until it seals? or just run it? Im just really frustrated that something this simple is causing me this much of a head ache.  :smack: thanks for your input.

-Nick
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: Cat Converter Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:47:39 PM »
I couldn't get my header to seal for the life of me...finally just said screw it and ran a bead of copper RTV.  Sealed up perfect, it is holding up well.  It should werk fine for converter too, just try to keep it from getting insode the converter.  Make sure you give it enough time to cure before running the engine.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:59:28 PM »
Leave it for a while (if you can) & cool down. I find that when I frustrated & things are going wrong, I go relax for a while & come back to it. Then the damn thing goes together with no problem !@#$  :pokinit:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:06:36 PM »
Well i just took a break and went and tried about another 6 times, finally got it to ALMOST seal....it is a very faint leak, just enough to barely feel it with your hands from the top side. I think i will try the rtv seal. its better than it was but i still cant quite get the POS to seal up completely. I feel like a damned monkey, i have my left knee pushing up on the cat, my right hand pulling down on the header pipe and my only other hand is left juggling two wrenches. ahhh!

thanks for the input fellas   :yesnod:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:08:38 PM »
Leave it for a while (if you can) & cool down. I find that when I frustrated & things are going wrong, I go relax for a while & come back to it. Then the damn thing goes together with no problem !@#$  :pokinit:
i tried that same strategy but then i come back and forget what the hell i was doing :screwy:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

chachilla

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »
I too have this same problem i just let it be becuase i havent found a solution to fix it .....

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 04:39:30 PM »
You can buy some exhaust sealer at your local auto parts store.  I was skeptical, but when I replaced my cat, I tried it, and it sealed well.  Also, if you have an existing leak at a bolted together joint, you can put the paste over the leak, and let it cure, and it goes away!  You don't have to unbolt the whole thing.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »
You can buy some exhaust sealer at your local auto parts store.  I was skeptical, but when I replaced my cat, I tried it, and it sealed well.  Also, if you have an existing leak at a bolted together joint, you can put the paste over the leak, and let it cure, and it goes away!  You don't have to unbolt the whole thing.  :thumbs:

Cool , sounds good. I will stop by kragen after class and see what i can find. thanks for the info guys.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »
yeah, just look by where they have the exhaust clamps and stuff.  I got mine at pep boys, its in an orange tube, and says exhaust sealer, or something like that.  Just make sure you follow the directions EXACTLY.  Thats the only problem.  I didn't listen to them the first time :smack:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
Might could try loosening the header connection then repositioning the connection on the cat, tighten the cat first then the header. Might need to use two collector gaskets.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 04:53:04 PM »
does that stuff really work that well? like when u start flexing and hitting stuff would it crack? or is it flexible?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 05:01:55 PM »
does that stuff really work that well? like when u start flexing and hitting stuff would it crack? or is it flexible?
its worked so far.  As long as everything is bolted up tight, it should be alright. :dunno:  I'm not going to say how well real long term, but its been on there for 2 wheeling trips, and nothing yet.

-Ronald Reagan