Author Topic: Catalytic Converter/exhaust system  (Read 2020 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Catalytic Converter/exhaust system
« on: Aug 16, 2006, 12:25:53 AM »
Anyone know of a fairly cheap/reliable system?  I need a new cat to pass smog :stopit: and could get by with the flowmaster 40series I have on my truck, but to be honest, I'm kinda tired of the loud truck thing.  I want a good sound, but I get tired of my truck being the only thing I hear. 

I'm not looking to upgrade my entire system, just thinking a new muffler and cat.  Anything that people are particularly fond of?  fairly cheap? 

I'm hoping to do this before the roundup, just as much for the people around me as myself, but being the beginning of a school year, I've got a ton of bills, so not a lot left over for my truck

:thumbs: thanks
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Catalytic Converter/exhaust system
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2006, 12:32:11 AM »
just pokin around a little, anyone every heard of/used  Walker products?  Kragen has a couple of different options

Muffler:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=15&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Mufflers

Cat:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=145&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Catalytic%20Converters

Also, what is an airtap for a Cat?  :dunno: 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2006, 11:12:58 AM »
In my (and that of many others) opinion, you're not going to get a good sound outa any v6, unless you have a newer nissan 3.5.  Magnaflow makes high flow universal cats, which aren't too expensive, but their mufflers are spendy.  I've heard of walker but know nothing about them.  You could always buy longer mufflers too.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2006, 11:24:57 AM »
In my (and that of many others) opinion, you're not going to get a good sound outa any v6, unless you have a newer nissan 3.5.  Magnaflow makes high flow universal cats, which aren't too expensive, but their mufflers are spendy.  I've heard of walker but know nothing about them.  You could always buy longer mufflers too.

I guess by good sound I just don't want my truck to sound like a bumble bee in a coffee can.  I like the way it sounds now, its just too fricken loud

-Ronald Reagan

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2006, 12:24:55 PM »
consider the deltaflow 40 series, im running it on my taco right now and i LOVE the way it sounds, its pretty quiet too, unless you decide to put your foot into it
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2006, 04:30:35 PM »
You probably won't get much cheaper than a catco cat, which you can get almost anywhere.  I just put new mufflers on both my trucks, and went super cheap.  $15 summit turbo muffler.  They aren't too bad on sound, although I think pipe length after the muffler and exit location have a whole lot to do with how loud it is.  So just make sure the tailpipe makes it all the way out from under the truck