Author Topic: just a dumb question about the windshield  (Read 2244 times)

NaturalDisaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
just a dumb question about the windshield
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »
ok now i guess we all know how a toyota front windshield is installed with that nasty goo crap that leaks water and runs down your window in the 115 dagree heat and the chrome molding always fall off the outside. so my question is does anybody know where i can get just a plain jane black rubber window seal for the front window? i know they make em i just have never been able to ask anybody who has one in thier trucks ive seen.  Thanks.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: just a dumb question about the windshield
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:05:02 PM »
as far as I am aware, you have to stay with the goo, because there's nowhere for the window gasket to seat, and they don't make one cuz it never came with one.  Unless you have a first gen.

YotaSoul

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 57
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
I just bought a windshield gasket for my 80 off e-bay, from The Weather Strip Store located in Washington state. It's a non trim style. It was $50 with shipping.
Ash: Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with ... molecular structures.

milla85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 85 in da house!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:32:20 PM »
I have a 85 and it has rubber all around it where the crome trim use to be. I am not sure where its from or who made it because it came like that when i bought it.

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 08:56:55 PM »
I have a 85 and it has rubber all around it where the crome trim use to be. I am not sure where its from or who made it because it came like that when i bought it.
ha i knew they made em for the second gens now i just gotta find out where to get one but i guess know body here knows huh

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 10:40:59 PM »
We always just use 100% silicone caulk (the clear stuff, not the paintable stuff "with silicone added'). It lasts forever, doesn't leak, and you just put it on with a caulk gun.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

rockreligious

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 10:19:35 PM »
We always just use 100% silicone caulk (the clear stuff, not the paintable stuff "with silicone added'). It lasts forever, doesn't leak, and you just put it on with a caulk gun.
silicone is not strong enough sealent to hold the window in during a crash. I would recommend using the proper sealant(urethane) it also comes out of a caulk gun, you can buy it at the autoparts store and its better than the sticky goo you were talking about earlier. the windows in your truck adds to the integriety of the roof structure just like plywood or sheetrock makes a framed wall sturdy dont weaken your roof by using sub-standard window sealant.

rockreligious

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:58 PM »
also; the trim is not wanting to stay on because you likely have some trim clips that are broken and need to be replaced. if the window is installed properly the window should set right and stay sealed and the trim should be fastened like new. you can get the clips from the dealer. all this is much cheaper and better than converting to the old school rubber gasket

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 05:58:37 AM »
ha i knew they made em for the second gens now i just gotta find out where to get one but i guess know body here knows huh

I have an 86 with the rubber trim, but it is not a seal. When I bought the truck it had the rubber trim an the windshield needed to be replaced they replaced it with the trim but installed it the same way with the goo [ urethane sealent ].  The trim only goes on the outside and does not do any sealing.

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
So the windshield on my truck (85) is just glued into the metal windshield opening?  If that's the case I will get off my butt and get one from the JY and change it.  I always thought windshields were one of those things that the glass shop had to do. :biggthumpup:

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 10:08:12 AM »
It is a pain to remove a glued in Windshield without braking it  have to use a long razor knife and be carefull not to cut your arm off . There is a place in fresno  Low Cost Auto Glass that will replace for about 120   by jensen pull n save