Author Topic: 92 AT swapping in a 5spd?  (Read 1451 times)

yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
92 AT swapping in a 5spd?
« on: Apr 29, 2007, 08:06:38 PM »
Well my AT tranny is soon to be out in my 92 4x4. Reverse slips really bad now, so Im sure in time the rest will go. I could rebuild it but I am partual to putting a 5spd in it. It my DD work truck. And as high as gas is I thought a 5spd wouldnt hurt on gas either. How much trouble am I gonna run into doing this. I have a 89 4x4 (V6 also) that I am swaping everything from it. Gonna get a new clutch and whatever else the 5spd needs. (Its got 100K on it) Will I have any trouble with connectors or wiring from swaping. Or crossmembers or anything? Just getting some advice before I dive in. Thanks. :driving:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Re: 92 AT swapping in a 5spd?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »
Get the crosmember and the mount from the donor and it should work as long as you are staying with the same gen of truck. I havent done this mod myself so I'm not shure of all the details.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »
You will have to bypass the nuetral safety switch.  I did this on my 85 wasn't too hard.  Had to drill a couple holes in the fire wall for the clutch cylinder.  I also had to change the pedal cluster because the auto brake pedal will hit the clutch pedal.
Well my AT tranny is soon to be out in my 92 4x4. Reverse slips really bad now, so Im sure in time the rest will go. I could rebuild it but I am partual to putting a 5spd in it. It my DD work truck. And as high as gas is I thought a 5spd wouldnt hurt on gas either. How much trouble am I gonna run into doing this. I have a 89 4x4 (V6 also) that I am swaping everything from it. Gonna get a new clutch and whatever else the 5spd needs. (Its got 100K on it) Will I have any trouble with connectors or wiring from swaping. Or crossmembers or anything? Just getting some advice before I dive in. Thanks. :driving:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 05:33:58 PM »
You may have some wiring connector differences due to the year differences, but other than that the swap is pretty straight forward I believe.  With the whole donor truck, it makes it eas. Just keep track of what you disconnect there, and then you know what you need to reconnect/add/remove in the new truck.  Just use the pedal assembly from the donor,  and use it.  That'll solve the pedal interfence problem Burl mentioned.  Also, you will want to use the 5spd computer :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent