Author Topic: Wiring questions...I promise I searched  (Read 1826 times)

artistic_gore

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Wiring questions...I promise I searched
« on: Apr 28, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »
I am currently in the process of swapping a 1983 22R for my 1980 20R that had a cracked block. While the engines are very similar the wiring of the two trucks is kicking my butt. The harnesses are similar but all of the connectors and the wire colors are different. I have two questions currently but I'm sure I will have more when I get to the other side of the engine and try to get the various sensors hooked up. On to the q's...

For the coil wiring, I have coming from the wiring harness Red, Black and yellow; on the coil I have black, yellow, and a muttled white that 24yrs ago may have been red. Anyway, as I understand it the black wire from the coil is not used, does the yellow wire hook to both the black and yellow in the harness and the muttled white to the red? That appears to be how it was wired on the '83 but I didn't mark the wires when I pulled out the old coil off   :shakehead:

Next is the alternator, The harness wires are black, black and black and the pigtail wires from the '83 are green, yellow, and white w/ black stripe. On the '80 there is also a small (2") pigtail that connects from the alternator to the longer pigtail that connects to the harness. The colors on this are black, yellow, and white w/black stripe. So should I assume that the black wire on the 80 side would connect to the green wire on the 83 side?

I hope my questions are somewhat coherant

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

artistic_gore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring questions...I promise I searched
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2007, 04:37:20 AM »
I think for now I'm just going to wing it and hope for the best, I am also going to go pick up a haynes manual today to see if the wiring diagrams are any more helpful than those in my chiltons. I'm pretty sure I have it right as far as the wiring is concerned so I am going to turn the truck over and see if I get any spark. I'd still appreciate some clarification though.

Thanks

P.S. I feel the need to clarify my search for those people who rolled their eyes when they read the header. I searched here, yotatech and 4x4wire, I thumbed through the FAQ on pirate but I wasn't getting anywhere and wasn't about to drop cash on a website just to activate the search function. Here, I yealded 13 pages of topics when I just entered "wiring" into an advanced search (I can't remember the forums I used as a parameter but I left out ones that didn't seem like they would help). Some of the threads were helpful such as the topic currently on the first page about coil wiring however they didn't address the specific problem I'm having. Some were not, there is an old thread on here about the alternator wiring where the guy was told to search and never actually found the info he was looking for from what I could tell. There are many threads like the one I just described where the thread just died; perhaps I should have brought one of those to the top. I will conisder that next time.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2007, 06:08:02 AM »
i would look into gettign the factory service manual from toyota. it is mroe expensive than the clitons/haynes manual, but it is more in depth, and they are awesome..... they are about $100.... it has saved my tail many times where the chiltons.haynes have failed.

there are online versions of the 85 fsm but i doubt that is going to help you much
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

artistic_gore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:40:19 AM »
I found a 1980 service manual on ebay that I will try to buy, it ends in like 2.5 days. I also went to buy a haynes manual today but decided it was a waste of time seeing as it covers every version of the pickup and 4runner from '79-'95 (it was over generalized in my opinion) I did however ebay a haynes that covers only '79-'83 pickups hopefully that will help more. Anyway thanks for the advice. More help that anyone else can offer would be great. Thanks.

-Douglas Adams

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »
why are you changing  the coil  and alt,  just use the 20R coil/alternator/ and distributor

yes  the distributor  from the 20R  will slide right into the 83 22r  and works GREAT,

dont over complicate things  that dont need to be   everything from the 20R will bolt directly to the 22R   including  the 20R head,  timing set,  crankshaft,   the ONLY difference  in the two engines  is the diameter  of the pistons
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

artistic_gore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
I decided to change the alternator back to the 20R so that deals with that issue, but the coil wiring was jacked to begin with and me being the smart (ass) one that I am, pulled the old coil in favor of the new one long ago and never labeled how it was wired in. Somehow I thought it would make things easier (don't ask how) to use the stuff for the 22R. I believe I have that side of the engine all figured out, now I just have to figure out the sensor wiring.

-Douglas Adams