Author Topic: Transfer Case woes  (Read 3616 times)

heepofajeep

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Transfer Case woes
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:33:27 AM »
Hi, I've got a marlin dual stock transfer case setup... I just recently took the truck on its inaugural run (to the field next door);  The setup worked great, except the transfer case pops out of gear when in 2WD Low.  If it makes a difference, the kit was installed approximately 2 years ago. 

The transfer case seemed to work fine in 4wd low, high, and low-low, but the middle case continues to pop out of gear when in 2wd low ( rear case in 2wd, middle case in low).  2wd high works fine.  I have the shifter boots/any possible obstructions moved out of the way, so I know that is not the culprit.

Also, the transfer case seems to be making quite a bit of gear noise, but as I have no experience with this truck, or really doublers in general, this could be normal?

Anyway, I would really like to go play around this weekend, so if you happen to have any suggestions or advice that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Case woes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:15:39 AM »
The noise should not be normal. You may have a bearing going out causing excessive movement and the poping out problem.

There is a stronger spring that you can install, but don't know it it by it's self will fix the problem.

You should pull it apart and check the bearings before you do damage that can't be repaired wirhout buying new gears.

You are 100% sure the floor or nothing else is touching the shifter while you are driving?
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

heepofajeep [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »
Accidental double post.

heepofajeep [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »
The noise should not be normal. You may have a bearing going out causing excessive movement and the poping out problem.

There is a stronger spring that you can install, but don't know it it by it's self will fix the problem.

You should pull it apart and check the bearings before you do damage that can't be repaired wirhout buying new gears.

You are 100% sure the floor or nothing else is touching the shifter while you are driving?

So what is the best way to pull it apart & check the bearings?  Is there nothing else that could be the culprit?  Where would one buy new bearings, and how much $$$?  How hard are they to replace?  Do you have any idea why it would be isolated to 2wd Low, and not 4wd low? 

I am 1000% sure nothing is rubbing against the shifter, besides, that would not be a feasible explanation for it only popping out in 2wd low & not 4wd low.

Thank you very much for the help!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:20:32 AM »
where are you and who  set these cases  up??

sounds like  the shift fork  rod  wasnt  clearanced  enough  and  so when in 2wd  in the rear case  it  pushed  the front case  out of low

OR  a thrust washer  was left out  :yikes:

:psss:  you would buy new gears   from Marlin,  if  you need ANYTHING  to do with a yota tranny or tcase  Marlin is garanteed  to have it
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »
Oh you'd be surprised at how much a crawler setup will move even with mounts in excellent condition, if it is even within an inch of the opening the torque of a crawler could bump it. I had that issue with my Klune-V and had to clearance the stock opening for the tcase and the Klune-V shifters. It dosen't sound like this is the issue though since you say it's making noise and may be the source of it popping out of gear, my Klune-V also ended up blowing up due to worn gears, it popped out of gear one day and shredded the gears.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

heepofajeep [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:32:59 PM »
where are you and who  set these cases  up??

sounds like  the shift fork  rod  wasnt  clearanced  enough  and  so when in 2wd  in the rear case  it  pushed  the front case  out of low

OR  a thrust washer  was left out  :yikes:

:psss:  you would buy new gears   from Marlin,  if  you need ANYTHING  to do with a yota tranny or tcase  Marlin is garanteed  to have it

I am in Vancouver, WA;  the cases were put together by the friend I bought the truck from.  He never drove the truck.  I do trust the fact that he put them together alright as he is an experienced technician, although I know good & well that mistakes do happen, etc.

The only thing that I am still trying to figure out, is why is it only happening in 2wd low-- not 2wd high, or any 4wd.  I would think if, for example, a thrust washer was left out, it would affect all gears?  I don't mind fixing whatever it is, I just don't want to break into this thing only to realize it was simply a loose spring or something.    Regarding a bearing wearing out, which I would actually not be surprised about, could this affect just 2wd low, and if not, what WOULD be a culprit? 

Regarding the rubbing, the reason I know nothing is hitting is because I have a large hole in the floor where the shifters go.   

Thanks again. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:53:31 PM »
if  my  mind  is  working correctly,  when in 2wd  low,  the  front  case  is  shifted  into low,  which  pushes  the shift rail to the rear,  now  your  rear case  is  in 2wd  so  your  lo hi  shift rail  is  forward,  if  the  shift  fork  shaft is not  cut off  properly  it  will touch  and  cause what you are discribing.

if  im wrong  Mike, Marlin  just  shoot me  :disturbed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

heepofajeep [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:21:09 PM »
if  my  mind  is  working correctly,  when in 2wd  low,  the  front  case  is  shifted  into low,  which  pushes  the shift rail to the rear,  now  your  rear case  is  in 2wd  so  your  lo hi  shift rail  is  forward,  if  the  shift  fork  shaft is not  cut off  properly  it  will touch  and  cause what you are discribing.

That sounds logical, and being that I haven't heard any gunshots yet, I think you might be on to something. If this was the case, how would I tell upon transfer case disassembly?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:18:13 PM »
That sounds logical, and being that I haven't heard any gunshots yet, I think you might be on to something. If this was the case, how would I tell upon transfer case disassembly?
with the front case in low  the  shift rail CAN NOT  protrude  behine the housing

with the  rear case  in 4hi  the  shift rail cannot   protrude  past the housing

heepofajeep [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:35:09 PM »
So, what parts do I need to disassemble to observe if this is or is not happening?  thanks!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:41:19 PM »

Thats it

The rear case is probably an 85-88  w56 top shift case and if it is then it has an extra little  half inch of the shift fork that needs to be cut off... How do I know? I didnt follow the instructions correctly on setting up the dual cases cause it says to cutt that off (only problem is it is at the very bottom of the instructions to set them up so i totally went over that...)

How to fix the shifters... Pull off the rear case. leave the adapter to the crawl box and thencut off the extra little thing that sticks out. its like a half inch or so long.

Here ya go: http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/crawler_installer/index.htm

Towards the end it says in the rear case part, 3rd litle paragraph down it says to do that.

"If your rear-most case is out of a 1985 to 1988 top shifting EFI (W56) tranny then you must shorten the driver's side shift rod. This is the shift rod sticking out of the rear most case when you shift into 4hi that has the flat side on top. You must trim 1/2" off of the shift rod to avoid jamming between the two cases. See marlin's instructions that came with the adapter."
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2007, 12:43:07 AM by lilbuddy »
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

heepofajeep [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2007, 12:20:45 AM »
Thats it

The rear case is probably an 56-88  w56 top shift case and if it is then it has an extra little  half inch of the shift fork that needs to be cut off... How do I know? I didnt follow the instructions correctly on setting up the dual cases cause it says to cutt that off (only problem is it is at the very bottom of the instructions to set them up so i totally went over that...)

How to fix the shifters... Pull off the rear case. leave the adapter to the crawl box and thencut off the extra little thing that sticks out. its like a half inch or so long.

Here ya go: http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/crawler_installer/index.htm

Towards the end it says in the rear case part, 3rd litle paragraph down it says to do that.

"If your rear-most case is out of a 1985 to 1988 top shifting EFI (W56) tranny then you must shorten the driver's side shift rod. This is the shift rod sticking out of the rear most case when you shift into 4hi that has the flat side on top. You must trim 1/2" off of the shift rod to avoid jamming between the two cases. See marlin's instructions that came with the adapter."

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. It is indeed a 1986 W56 rear case.  Sounds like it is a very easy fix, which has me relieved!  Do you think this could have caused any extra damage by driving it?  I did not drive it much-- 20 miles in 2wd high, and 1 hours worth of playing around in low-low, with maybe 20 attempts in 2wd low. 

Either way, thank you very much! I'll try & remember to post back here when I actually fix the problem to verify that this was indeed the case though. 

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2007, 12:42:17 AM »
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. It is indeed a 1986 W56 rear case.  Sounds like it is a very easy fix, which has me relieved!  Do you think this could have caused any extra damage by driving it?  I did not drive it much-- 20 miles in 2wd high, and 1 hours worth of playing around in low-low, with maybe 20 attempts in 2wd low. 

Either way, thank you very much! I'll try & remember to post back here when I actually fix the problem to verify that this was indeed the case though. 

No....

Mine has about 10000 miles of driving on it ranging from 80mph for long periods of time to crawling in low low for long periods of time... It just pops out of gear and you have to take it off and redo everything, yeah it sucks... Im sure youre pretty aware of it though.

Glad I could help.

Oh yeah, since my cases are finally out of my truck ready to go in my 4runner i should probably fix it since its been a year and a half since i did the dual cases
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

heepofajeep [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:40:26 PM »
Well that's very good to hear!  I mean, not about your setup, but I think I might leave it for a while then, because I have a lot of stuff to do before I mess with that :)