Poll

How many people would be willing to pay a yearly fee for special services.

Basic with free avatar and 25 mb for pictures only.
7 (43.8%)
$25 a year for 150 mb picture and video storage.
6 (37.5%)
$35 a year for 250 mb picture and video storage.
1 (6.3%)
$50 a year for 500 mb picture and video storage.
0 (0%)
$25 a month for domain hosting with 2500 mb storage and 6 free email accounts.
1 (6.3%)
$60 a month for domain hosting with 20 gb storage and unlimited email accounts.
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Forum Poll  (Read 6427 times)

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Forum Poll
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »
Ok here is the deal. The board has become bogged down and may need an upgrade.

The question here is, if the board was moved to a dedicated server it will cost more to operate.

Now how many would be willing to help support this upgrade so the board is more enjoyable.

This is only a poll and does not mean this will ever be implemented.

Adding a paying upgrade will allow for extra picture storage and the ability to upload videos as well.

You choose the plan you are comfortable with.

You could even have your own web site hosted on their server.

I for one would move my domain to their server so they could get the money instead of my curent provider.

Just a thought.

:beerchug:
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 07:07:27 PM by Willy Mammoth »
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Poll
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:20:06 PM »
I can't even use the poll right now. it's so bogged down all the time, but I host all of my pictures on other sites, so i don't see a point in paying to host them here when i can do it for free somewhere else. i would suggest turning off attachments...making other people use sites such as photobucket, imagestation or imageshack, etc...it will definately help out. half the time i can't even get on a page here without going to it clicking it then refresh a bunch of times.
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:23:01 PM »
Pirate charges for people to be able to post pictures and have an avatar. I see no reason for Marlin not to be supported by it's members.
I would gladly pay to help support the Marlin board.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:36:27 PM »
Loki, that is basically what they do on pirate. If you pay for the red star.. $25 for the year I think I was told. You can have your own avatar, and you can post your own pics otherwise you can only post pics if they are linked.
A while back Ironclad told me it takes more space for linked photos/smileys then it does for ones that are on the board.
I didn't know if that was a fact or not.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »
Pirate charges for people to be able to post pictures and have an avatar. I see no reason for Marlin not to be supported by it's members.
I would gladly pay to help support the Marlin board.

Unless it went up recently, I pay $20 for a red star on Pirate...I'd be wet with joy to do the same here. I think the hosting prices are a bit out of line with what's available out there, but it's been a while since I looked into that. Hmmm, abnormaltoy@MCI.net has a nice ring to it.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »
A standard membership would be free with lets say 25 mb for pictures only?

I already pay $24.95 a month for a web site I don't use except for email and hosting videos.

I just think there is enough people here that are regulars that could benefit from an extended service.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:50:06 PM »
I don't see how it would take more of your bandwidth up. Every time a picture is linked from another site, the bandwidth of that site is used to display it where it's linked to. A photo inserted into a thread using IMAGE tags doesn't use the forum's bandwidth. It will take longer for the user viewing the page to see it due to the fact that it pulls the information from the hosting site's server. (I may be wrong, but I was a system administrator at a huge Chevy forum for 2-3 years)

I'm not a skinflint or anything, but I haven't paid any amount of money to any forum just to use the forum or post pictures, and I’m a member of over 10 forums around the net.

I pay for tangible products. Yes there is a lot of information on forums, there's no arguing that. I'm just saying I’ve never had to pay to access it. If you would like for me to remove my avatar, I’d be more than happy to oblige.

Personally, i think this forum has many perks that take up more bandwidth than pictures. Such as the "Updated Topics Search" and "New posts Search". That uses more bandwidth searching for every post you made that other's responded to since your last visit. Or, searching for every thread within so many hours that people have posted in that you haven't seen yet. I know i use this feature because it's convenient...however, it will drag the forum's server down a lot taking into consideration the amount of people that use it at the same time. These are the types of things that I (as an administrator) would be concerned about.

No disrespect intended anywhere here...just trying to give some insight.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:50:14 PM »
Unless it went up recently, I pay $20 for a red star on Pirate...I'd be wet with joy to do the same here. I think the hosting prices are a bit out of line with what's available out there, but it's been a while since I looked into that. Hmmm, abnormaltoy@MCI.net has a nice ring to it.

WET WITH JOY!!! LMAO! You have such a way with words!! I'd soil myself with joy just to pay for people like Abnormaltoy to be here.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 07:00:59 PM by MrsWillyMammoth »

Where is the Mammoth?

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:53:32 PM »

I don't know if you would get a @MCI. The email would only come with a domain hosting option. ??

Any other Ideas are welcome.

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
Edited Poll ^

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »
mmmm ~trying it on for size~  MrsWillyMammoth@MCI.net.

Where is the Mammoth?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »
Guys, I have locked the polls, but have decided to keep this thread open for more discussion.

I have been working behind the scenes at getting a dedicated server hooked up here, and I believe it will happen in as little as 1 week from now. It will take time for a new server to be assembled and our site transfered over.

If we were to charge for special membership, I am sure that it would only be like $10/year or something like that, however I do not believe we are interested in offering website hosting, file hosting, or the like.

We can easily do personal emails and video storage, however we do not have any plans for this at this time.

First step is to get everything moved to a new server and running, then we will look into other avenues in the future.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:15:18 PM »
I like it  :biggthumpup: if you need our help to support the forum then we should help  :yesnod: out after all we get alot out of this board and maybe givin' a little back would'nt hurt, I dont like Pirate  :pirate: 'cause they arent nice If I wanna get cused out I'll go back to boot camp  :willynilly: if I want to find out info an builds and general good times  :disturbed: then I'll go to Marlin  :turtle: :turtle3: well thats my :twocents: thanks

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »
Guys, I have locked the polls, but have decided to keep this thread open for more discussion.

I have been working behind the scenes at getting a dedicated server hooked up here, and I believe it will happen in as little as 1 week from now. It will take time for a new server to be assembled and our site transfered over.

If we were to charge for special membership, I am sure that it would only be like $10/year or something like that, however I do not believe we are interested in offering website hosting, file hosting, or the like.

We can easily do personal emails and video storage, however we do not have any plans for this at this time.

First step is to get everything moved to a new server and running, then we will look into other avenues in the future.

Regards,
BigMike

Here? Where is here? Are you going to use your own online service to host or a hosting service? A hosting service will have a much better connection speed and a better up time ratio.

BTW, this is just for discussion purposes only.

I can get a deicated server with 100% up time gauranteed starting at $149.00 a month.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:23:21 PM »

I don't know what this forum costs vs the business, if any, it brings in...but, I'd be happy as a clam to pay for this site. What feature or type of use takes up the most bandwidth here?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

eazy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »
ok here's my deal i love this site and i would pay whatever the fee to hang out with people with the same interests as i and have access to the wealth of knowledge that can attain from interacting with all of you. But on the other hand there are some that are here that would'nt be if they had to pay for the service.if you loose these people you would'nt have enough users to necessitate the dedicated server, maybe

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:50:13 PM »
OK here's my deal i love this site and i would pay whatever the fee to hang out with people with the same interests as i and have access to the wealth of knowledge that can attain from interacting with all of you. But on the other hand there are some that are here that would'nt be if they had to pay for the service.if you loose these people you would'nt have enough users to necessitate the dedicated server, maybe

Good point and I agree.

I would never want to see the site go to a pay only biases, but with a paid membership you would be entitled to other things a free membership would not like more space for pictures and videos. I am sure there could be other features as well.

Remmember this is just to get some ideas out there for discussion.

BTW I wonder how much space my two big threads uses up and that is free for the taking. What other site would let you use so much of their storage space for free? I don't think it is fair an feel bad that I have taken advantage. I would have no problem paying a small fee to cover the cost I have helped to create.

:thumbs:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
If we were to charge for special membership, I am sure that it would only be like $10/year or something like that

I'd be down :thumbs:  I paid $20 for pirate and I'm barely there compared to here. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
i'd pay $20, I didnt vote on the poll... but yea i'd support Marlin board to keep its speed up.

I pay $20 at PBB and have for the past few years because I'd rather just post pictures directly and enjoy the extra features.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
I'd be more than happy to pay a fee to Marlin :yupyup:

Whats $20?  a trip to the movies for Spotter and I  :greengrin:  I guess she can survive going to one less movie to facilitate my habit  :_oops:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »
I would pay 20 dollars at the most.....eazy has a really good point...
But on the other hand there are some that are here that would'nt be if they had to pay for the service.if you loose these people you would'nt have enough users to necessitate the dedicated server, maybe
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
I would pay 20 dollars at the most.....eazy has a really good point...
But on the other hand there are some that are here that would'nt be if they had to pay for the service.if you loose these people you would'nt have enough users to necessitate the dedicated server, maybe

I wouldn't want to see the info limited, and I don't know what having a red star and not having one on pirate means?  :dunno:  Would the only change be being able to attach pics as opposed to linking them, or having an avitar? What other "perks" are there on pirate/would there be here. 

I guess simply, what is/would be the motivation to pay? 

Obviously, some people would.  I'd hate to see people get turned away though, because they have to pay to look through info.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:10:39 AM »
I am not interested in paying personally and would probably go elsewhere or just spend time on my rig. Why don't the "Word Association" and "what are you listening" threads get deleted. With the removal of those two monstrous wastes of space the board could probably function as is for years   :yupyup: I like Chit Chat but some of it is just worthless.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:12:04 AM »
Alwayz...i've noticed a lot of forums out there are all about information. I've been reading marlin's site for a long time and then decided to join. I believe that this is one of the only sites for our "hobbie" that people can feel comfortable that they don't get their asses handed to them for asking a simple question. it also promotes a sense of family to the toyota (crawler) community...that is why the "CHIT CHAT" forum is a big hit here.  I agree that there's a good amount of information on this site as well as a bunch of stuff that is worthless to a builder, but at the same time. Long lasting relationships between members are made in such forums that people can be personable in. (rather than clogging up an informative thread with "hey want to meet up and go wheelin'?) type comments. Just my 2 copper pieces
MY BUILD UP THREAD

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »
Alwayz...i've noticed a lot of forums out there are all about information. I've been reading marlin's site for a long time and then decided to join. I believe that this is one of the only sites for our "hobbie" that people can feel comfortable that they don't get their asses handed to them for asking a simple question. it also promotes a sense of family to the toyota (crawler) community...that is why the "CHIT CHAT" forum is a big hit here.  I agree that there's a good amount of information on this site as well as a bunch of stuff that is worthless to a builder, but at the same time. Long lasting relationships between members are made in such forums that people can be personable in. (rather than clogging up an informative thread with "hey want to meet up and go wheelin'?) type comments. Just my 2 copper pieces

:yesnod:  well said Loki :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:11:51 PM »

That is pretty much the only thing I do on here. After hanging around this site and pirate for the last few years there is really not much new tech. I know pretty much everything I need to build a capable truck. There really is not much more for me here in the tech department. New tech is rarely presented that has not been covered. As far as friendships, trail reports, and wheeling buddies I am pretty much by myself in MN. Not to say there is no value in this site since I obviously value this site as I am online constantly and have met people through here and been on great trips, but I just don't want to pay for something that has been free for so long. The things I enjoy the most are build ups and all you people that make this a great place. If there is a fee to post pictures and for general membership the amount of new registered members will decrease drastically as newbs will just go somewhere else.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »
from what it sounds like (obviously) they're just testing the waters as of right now. plus for the type of membership you say you are, you wouldn't have to pay regardless. so i guess...this wouldn't affect you.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:17:33 PM »
from what it sounds like (obviously) they're just testing the waters as of right now. plus for the type of membership you say you are, you wouldn't have to pay regardless. so i guess...this wouldn't affect you.

I wouldn't be able to post pictures. That would suck.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »
Mike is still debating what he is going to do, he's been following this thread to help him make a decision.

Where is the Mammoth?

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
I wouldn't be able to post pictures. That would suck.

sure would...what about links to pictures...could we link the pictures? that would kind of suck still too if we couldn't post pictures we host on our own web space :(
MY BUILD UP THREAD