Author Topic: 4.88 ring and pinion question i have a part number are these stock toyota or fte  (Read 4842 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
8X35 8C514 was on a 4.88 ring and pinion gear set afrom a guy i want to buy them from,  i guess 8X35 was on either the ring or the pinion and 8C514 on the opisite.  i want to know if these are toyota gears  andif they are the ones that need the special carrier to work with or if they are v6 or 4cylinder.  i looked at randys ring and pinion but he has no part numbers, i cheacked the web with no luck,  anyone have some gears sitting at home maybe a different brand or size has similar mrking so i could figure out if these are aftermarket or stock. and if they are 6 cyl or 4  i dont want to get stuck with something i cant use.  thanks all in advance

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
here are pics of them if that helps

ErikB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • Erik's Toy 4x4 pages
The difference between factory 4.88's and aftermarket is the thickness of the ring gear. As the gear ratio gets lower, the pinion gear gets smaller, so in order for the teeth to still match up, the ring gear needs to move "closer" to the pinion. This is done normally by making the ring gear thicker.

Here is a factory 4.10 diff:

Here is another diff with 5.29's installed:

Notice the big difference in ring gear thickness.

In the case of the factory 4.88's though, Toyota moved the pinion closer to the ring gear instead of making the gear thicker. In a lot of other axles (Dana for example), part of the way they do it is by using a different carrier (diff case) that moves the ring gear closer, and that is why there is a "carrier split" (different carriers for different ranges of gear ratios). They also usually have "thick" style gears available though for people not wanting to swap carriers.

So my answer would be you need a picture of the ring gear from the side. A factory 4.88 ring gear would probably be about as thin as a factory 4.10 instead of thick like the 5.29 picture.

You could make factory 4.88's work in a standard diff by using a ring gear spacer, but it generally wouldn't be recommended.

- Erik

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Count the teeth.   If it's 8 and 35 that's 4.375.   Not sure any aftermarket makes that ratio.  Kinda wondering becuase of the 8x35.  And I think I counted 35 on the pic of your ring gear.

Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
aha so these might not even be 4.88's i emailed the guy and asked for a more acurate count. if it is 39 teeth thanthey are 488
http://4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechInfo.shtml#Differentials
and 35 would make them 438
 interesting

i also asked for a picture of the tickness of the ring  gears
  i dont think the guy likes all  my questions but i dont wangt to buy it if icant use it,  im broke lol.
thanks erik  and skid for your help!!!!!

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Toyoda did in fact offer a 4.88 ring and pinnion. The arent as popular as the aftermarket r&p becouse they aren't easily found and toyota is the only place to find replacements. I belive that the carrier and possibly the housings are different than other comparable 3rds. That particular 3rdmemeber in the 2nd pic by EricB is for a 8.4 taco axle and will not bolt into a 1st 2nd or 3rd gen toyota.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yes  the 8x35  on the ring gear is simply  the teeth count,  8 pinion, 35 ring
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Toyoda did in fact offer a 4.88 ring and pinion. The aren't as popular as the aftermarket r&p because they aren't easily found and Toyota is the only place to find replacements. I believe that the carrier and possibly the housings are different than other comparable 3rds. That particular 3remember in the 2nd pic by EricB is for a 8.4 taco axle and will not bolt into a 1st 2nd or 3rd gen Toyota.

to go with this i have read that several people said the housings aren't different at all, just the internals of the third, i think kyle_22r knows for sure
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
to go with this i have read that several people said the housings aren't different at all, just the internals of the third, i think kyle_22r knows for sure

this site said otherwise?   

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

Although somewhat rare, there is a version of this diff that came from the factory with 4.88 gears.  The carrier (3rd member housing) has a different pinion offset so that the ring gear doesn't need to be as thick.  This means that no gears other than the factory 4.88's will fit this particular diff. However, diff cases, commonly called carriers (factory, LSD, lockers, etc.), for the standard V6/Turbo diff should be interchangeable (4cyl and V6/Turbo carriers are NOT interchangeable).
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
this site said otherwise?   

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

Although somewhat rare, there is a version of this diff that came from the factory with 4.88 gears.  The carrier (3rd member housing) has a different pinion offset so that the ring gear doesn't need to be as thick.  This means that no gears other than the factory 4.88's will fit this particular diff. However, diff cases, commonly called carriers (factory, LSD, lockers, etc.), for the standard V6/Turbo diff should be interchangeable (4cyl and V6/Turbo carriers are NOT interchangeable).

according to that site, i was right... i said the internals of the third, not the third itself, i meant spiders/grears, and that the housings of those wierd 4.88 diffs were no different than a regular housing

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The carrier (3rd member housing) has a different pinion offset so that the ring gear doesn't need to be as thick.  This means that no gears other than the factory 4.88's will fit this particular diff. However, diff cases, commonly called carriers (factory, LSD, lockers, etc.), for the standard V6/Turbo diff should be interchangeable (4cyl and V6/Turbo carriers are NOT interchangeable).
according to that site, i was right... i said the internals of the third, not the third itself, i meant spiders/grears, and that the housings of those wierd 4.88 diffs were no different than a regular housing
The third member chunk is different.  All v6 lockers would work.  No option to regear unless third member chunk is replace. Little confusing as to what your refering to as a housing.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
The third member chunk is different.  All v6 lockers would work.  No option to regear unless third member chunk is replace. Little confusing as to what your refering to as a housing.

housing i was talking about the axle housing..... not the third chunk.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~