Author Topic: Engine problem..22-R! HELP!!  (Read 2392 times)

8Snaces

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 396
  • Member since Apr '06
  • The krawler in H.H. over New Years.
    • View Profile
Engine problem..22-R! HELP!!
« on: Jan 07, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »
OK. I started out with hearing a ticking noise after coming home on New Years weekend. The next day, i drove to work and then it started. The noise was loud. It became a knocking noise. I pulled over...no leaking..nothing look wrong. I went to start it back up.... she poured out smoke for a couple seconds. I shut it off.. towed it home... Now im goin thru and checkin things... and heres what i have found out. I have 0 compression in #4 cyl. The other 3 have comp.. but it kinda varied. Im not a compression pro.. but they have around 90+. #1 showed almost 150. What should i do? Check next?
1st gen yota truck. 37x12.5x15. 5spd dual cases, chevy springs in rear, toyota rears springs in front. Long bed....the list never ends..
Dont try to shift into 6th when u've only got a 5spd! Rubberside down doesnt always mean rite side up!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Engine problem..22-R! HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »
sounds like the #4 piston busted,   pull the head and see whats goin on
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

8Snaces [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2007, 03:42:35 PM »
DO u think it busted or my rings are just shot??
1st gen yota truck. 37x12.5x15. 5spd dual cases, chevy springs in rear, toyota rears springs in front. Long bed....the list never ends..
Dont try to shift into 6th when u've only got a 5spd! Rubberside down doesnt always mean rite side up!

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »
either way your gonna have to pull the head to find out.  Busted piston if the valves hit or the skirt came loose, more than likely rings though they seem to go before the pistons does.  How many miles you got on the truck? Any past rebuilds?

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:17:13 PM »
If the rings were shot it would have to be pretty bad to have 0 compression. I'd imagine there's something worse brewing, like Glen said.. pull off the head and take a look.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »
true that wouldn't make sense if the others are showing good compression

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2007, 08:35:59 PM »
If the rings were shot it would have to be pretty bad to have 0 compression. I'd imagine there's something worse brewing, like Glen said.. pull off the head and take a look.

X3 :thumbs:  Varying compression, moreoever drastic differences, can be the result of a bad headgasket or cracked head too.  Definately sounds like you're probably due for a rebuild :down:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

8Snaces [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »
Thanx y'all. Glad i have able minds out there to help me clarify how bad im screwed. O well.. thats part of the fun of the sport, rite? Im headin to my buddy's shop to see if i can get some rack time or if he has time for a side job and give me a hand. Thanx again.

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2007, 07:55:39 PM »
Dumb question, but you did have the throttle wide open when checking compression, right?  And have you pulled the valve cover to make sure the rocker arems aren't busted, no adjuster screws loose or gone, valves in adjustment, that kind of thing?

8Snaces [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:22:10 PM »
I found traces of water in the oil via the oil cap. There was a lil milkshake goin on. When it was running down in Hollister at A&W, i saw smoke comin out of the back of the head. So... i talked to my buddy over at Dub Toyota.... he told me to do a leak down test to comfirm where the compression is goin. He also said, that becuz water is heavier than oil, to do an oil change and replace the head gasket. That should do the trick. We will see... i mite tear into this weekend..not sure..a lil short on money too.

8Snaces [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:23:32 PM »
P.s... The smoke at the back of the head wasnt POURING out.. but when i revved it, u could see u. When it was "idling" there really wasnt anything to see...

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »
The milkshake in the oil cap isn't really indicative of trouble.  Many engines will do that, especially if you live ina  cold or damp climate and/or drive a lot of short trips.  Mine always has tan foam in the oil cap because I mostly drive back and forth to work, but it's healthy as a horse.  Same story in my folks' '05 Tacoma.  The oil just doesn't get hot enough for long enough to completely boil the water out of the engine.

8Snaces [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »
Trust me... it was hot enuff. 700+ miles in 3 days... plus wheelin and pullin trucks out in Pismo..