Poll

Do i keep them or sell them

Sell
5 (33.3%)
Keep
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Subs or no subs  (Read 3783 times)

Rainer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Subs or no subs
« on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »
I have 2-10 inch pioneer subs and a MTX amp( not sure on watts) in a professionaly built custom box. They are stting in my room right now. I have a Subaru Legacy and if i put them in the trunk they will vibrate the hell out of it. If I put them in my trail rig, and I flop they will fly about(unless I bolt them in). I cant decide what to do. My bro bought them, and when he bought them they cost him 700 for the box, amp and subs. I took these out of my Bronco when I sold it. I love the thump, but it is not worth the noisy trunk lid. Please help me decide. Thanks in advance. :help:

Mark  :driving:
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Subs or no subs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:06:24 PM »
:bat:  you interrupted a good shoutbox section  for SPEAKERS  :willynilly:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »

:bat: 

:soapbox:

One person's thumping vehicle is another person's :censored: aggravation.
Why do people think that everyone wants to hear that noise! I don't want to hear your noise anymore then you want to hear me blaring bagpipes (or maybe you do).
 :rant:

That being said, the only thing worse then having to listen to a thumping vehicle is a thumping vehicle with a vibrating trunk.   :eek: 

:twocents:

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »
Oh dont listen to the old people!

I have 2 10" subs with 800 watts in my 4runner and it rattles the crap out of the tail gate. I fixed alot of the noise by putting cloth under the license plate and it made a HUGE difference and the ony thing that rattles now is stuff in the sides of the runner.

Put them in. Bass is awesome. I love my parents telling me they can hear me from the other side of the block. Inconsiderate to other people, yes. Do I care, not really. Only time I think its jacked up is when they come rolling through my neighborhood from 8pm on and its loud as our louder then how i play it.

RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »
If you keep them, but put them in a closet somewere then they won't be bothering Mrsw

Or me for that matter.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

FATTshack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 129
  • Male Posts: 316
  • Member since Jun '05
  • BLUEY the WONDERSLUG
    • View Profile
    • The FATT Shack
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:19:45 PM »
LOL..... I enjoy my systems in my trucks. I also turn them down when others are around.
its not the systems that offend, its the rude people who blast them.

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
Thanks guys, sorry for interupting your chat. I still need more opinions. :crossed:

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:26:07 PM »
OLD PEOPLE   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:29:27 PM »
OLD PEOPLE   

Haha!

Just kidding!
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:29:38 PM »
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »

:imwithstupid:

:moon:

:shake: They use the 'old people' excuse as a way to rationalize that what they like to call "music" doesn't suck :yupyup:

:disturbed:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
 :rofl: 

RAWK ON!     

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »
Put them in. Bass is awesome. I love my parents telling me they can hear me from the other side of the block. Inconsiderate to other people, yes. Do I care, not really. Only time I think its jacked up is when they come rolling through my neighborhood from 8pm on and its loud as our louder then how i play it.

:soapbox:

I don't want to hear other peoples choice of what they think is cool any more then anyone wants to hear what I like to listen to (although what I like to listen to is cool :yupyup: )

Especially not on the trail!! For a while, during MCR4, we were stuck in front of a guy blaring REGGAE of all things!   

This guy doesn't like jazz, that guy doesn't like country, the other doesn't like that gawd awful booming bass, someone else hates classic rock (as if that is even possible    ).. not everyone wants to hear what the other person thinks is cool.

The more crowded the planet becomes the more people have become way too inconsiderate to each other. And they wonder why violence is on the rise?  :rant: 

Where is the Mammoth?

Rainer [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:14:26 PM »
Yeah I understand that. I am not an inconsiderate person, Ileave my down low. I dont like to rattle windows or mirrors. I try to keep it down enough so others around me dont get headaches. I love classic rock, heavy metal, hard rock, not alot of rap, some country is ok, so I am well rounded with music.

Mark
1985 Toyota 4runner

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »
throwem in and just turn down the gain so you still have that nice smooth bass sound without the loud boom, I myself like bass I have 2 15" rf powers in my 2000 contour svt and it thumps..

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:03:18 PM »
I see no reason to have a radio in a trail truck.  I would rather hear whats going on with my truck personally.  My daily driver has a Punch 12" pro sub, 150 amp, 10 disc CD changer, AM FM CD in dash and all Boston Acoustic mids and highs.  The system sounds really good inside the truck but when I drive down the road it does not make all that thumping  bass sound.  Best of both worlds.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2007, 05:38:42 AM »
Well now, that's what I like to hear. Sorry for getting on my high horse, there is nothing better then a great sounding stereo system, and respect for those around us.

:disturbed:

Where is the Mammoth?

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2007, 06:38:02 AM »
There is a guy in my neighborhood who HAD big loud bass thumping piece of s**t stereo. I went down to his house one day and kindly asked him to turn it down when coming through the residential area. He did not listen so I asked 3 more time's. By the 4th time I was pissed. I could Hear him coming from a block away so I would walk out front and throw a bucket of nail's in the road. As soon as he would pass I would sweep them up. After about his 8th or so flat tire he came and asked me to stop throwing nail's in the road. I got my way and don't have to listen to that CRAP anymore. If you want to crank it do it on the highway where it does not bother other's. Do not do it in residential or town type areas. Besides don't you know that it is bad for your hearing. You are going to go deaf by the time you are 20 with that "bass". Oh and back on subject you should sell them to some one not in my area.

Kevin

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:41:33 AM »
Oh dont listen to the old people!

:rofl2:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:55:07 AM »

:nana:

Where is the Mammoth?

FATTshack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 129
  • Male Posts: 316
  • Member since Jun '05
  • BLUEY the WONDERSLUG
    • View Profile
    • The FATT Shack
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
There is a guy in my neighborhood who HAD big loud bass thumping piece of s**t stereo. I went down to his house one day and kindly asked him to turn it down when coming through the residential area. He did not listen so I asked 3 more time's. By the 4th time I was pissed. I could Hear him coming from a block away so I would walk out front and throw a bucket of nail's in the road. As soon as he would pass I would sweep them up. After about his 8th or so flat tire he came and asked me to stop throwing nail's in the road. I got my way and don't have to listen to that CRAP anymore. If you want to crank it do it on the highway where it does not bother other's. Do not do it in residential or town type areas. Besides don't you know that it is bad for your hearing. You are going to go deaf by the time you are 20 with that "bass". Oh and back on subject you should sell them to some one not in my area.

Kevin

No offence, but what he did was rude, what you did was vandalism.   :headscratch:  :disturbed:

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »
:rofl2:

:talkingn:

in the words of Zach de la Rocha...

"TURN THAT :pokinit: UP!!!"
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007, 12:05:56 PM by KYOTA »

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »
i like having a system but i use discretion on the music i play depending whos is around like kids and such

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

8Snaces

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 396
  • Member since Apr '06
  • The krawler in H.H. over New Years.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2007, 02:28:28 PM »
Run the system. I just put in a pair of 6x9's and a cd deck. nothing fancy...yet. I plan on running a single 12" sub in the cab soon too. Go for it.. put in what makes u happy. ITS YOUR RIG!! When ur in a crowded area or mixed company... use judgement. But dont discard good stereo stuff just becuz someone may not like it. I play couuntry and rock in my yota and play it a level that i want. Someone says something... i'll be nice and meet them part way.
1st gen yota truck. 37x12.5x15. 5spd dual cases, chevy springs in rear, toyota rears springs in front. Long bed....the list never ends..
Dont try to shift into 6th when u've only got a 5spd! Rubberside down doesnt always mean rite side up!

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:31:42 PM »
I would put the subs in if it were me.  Right now I am building a sealed enclosure for a 12 inch Infinity Reference DVC sub.  Just because you have subs it doesn't mean that they have to be obnoxiously loud (although you can if you want).  Generally speaking, standard speakers can not accurately and efficiently produce low frequencies.  By running subs you can reduce the levels of bass frequencies that go to your standard speakers, thereby clearing up your sound very much.  If you consider that most of you who are running two way speakers only have a first-order crossover which only attinuates at 6 db per octive, you realize that it is very easy to cause damage to the tweaters even if the woofers are just fine.  If you didn't get that, what I am saying is that it is better to seperate the sound so it only goes to speakers that can handle the frequencies that you are sending to them.  Another thing, on average in a sound system half of the power will go to frequencies below 350 hz and the other half goes to frequencies above that so by turning down the bass on your full-range speakers you just enabled your head unit to supply more power to mid and high frequencies before it starts to clip.  So, long story short, run the subs.  Just turn them down to create a nice balanced sound, keep in mind that in cars, below 80 hz the resonance from the cabin will add approxamately 12db per octive that you go down.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007, 09:50:16 PM by RynothealbinO »
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »
I wouldnt mind having a sub in the runner but since it is my work truck I dont want to give up the room. My little brother is selling a pair of JL 12's that I mihgt put in my montero just to eventh sound out with my highs though.

My thing is to have quality sound not quantity.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:12:29 AM »
i will eventually put at least 1 sub in my xcab.... the space behind the seats isnt really big enough to house people, and i dont know what that little shelf is for.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
I just prefer a good set of door speakers and an amp to power them with a nice head unit.  I listen to punk, ska, heavy metal and classic rock so the booming bass doesn't really do it for me.

Yota85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Deep Sea Diving
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2007, 05:12:28 PM »
Id say run it, but be careful, The only reason I have ever found that has kept me from having a system is that it seems to attract people that want to steal my truck and pull all my parts that i have worked hard to put on their and for them to just take them from me.
83 SR5 short box  5.29 detroit rear aussie front 3inch 33bfg mt's

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2007, 05:16:49 PM »
Id say run it, but be careful, The only reason I have ever found that has kept me from having a system is that it seems to attract people that want to steal my truck and pull all my parts that i have worked hard to put on their and for them to just take them from me.
good point....its alot harder to hide your stuff in a truck. and be careful about where u bump that crap too.....like yota85 said, u will be attracting attention...sometimes from the bad people
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco