Author Topic: Amigo Engine/Toyota Transmission? OR??  (Read 11730 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Amigo Engine/Toyota Transmission? OR??
« on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:20:20 PM »
Ok guys I need some help here.

I'm in a bind and I'm trying to figure out what it would take to turn my Amigo into my daily driver -- a reliable one.

First things first: I need to figure out how to either design or find an adapter for a Toyota transmission to bolt to a Isuzu bellhousing, OR for the Amigo Transmission to bolt to the Toyota transfer case (not likely). I'm using an intermediate shaft for my Isuzu 2wd manual transmission to my Toyota transfercase. Right now, that isn't working because I can only fit about 6" between the tranny and t-case. I'm wanting to eliminate the intermediate shaft because the one I have is at an angle and it has blown the bearing on the transfercase because it rattles since it can't sit straight. I tried repositioning the transfercase, but the case is as high as it can go (halfway into my cab) and there is no more room for moving the tcase up for the shaft to be straight.

How similar/different are the bolt patterns between the Isuzu and Toyota transmission where the bellhousing bolts up to the transmission? As well as the bellhousing bolt pattern differences?

Also, there would be the issue of the input shaft going from the trans to the engine IF I were able to get the toyota transmission to work. Would the toyota input shaft have the right splines/length/width for the Amigo engine?

So it's either get the Amigo on the road, or drive my F-250 that gets about 7mpg. I'm hoping to find some sort of out for this intermediate shaft. It blew the bearing in the transfercase already because I could only fit one ujoint on it, and I'm hoping to avoid that issue. I have a 92 inch wheelbase, so I don't have much room to work with.

I know my best bet is to just swap out the whole contraption with a toyota motor/transmission/transfercase. However, I doubt I'll find a post '93 fuel injected Toyota engine/transmission and tcase setup for under $500, which currently is my budget.

C'mon guys, I know ya'll got some idears just spit em out :disturbed: But be nice :gap:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Amigo Engine/Toyota Transmission? OR??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »
ive got a toyota 2wd tranny if that will help anything...... haha, youve seen the tranny befroe too lol
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:29:50 PM »
go pull the tcase off your isuzu tranny  and post pics

Isuzu  used  GM  parts ALOT,  its very possible  your old tranny  could use a chevy S10 adapter to toyota tcase
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:32:33 PM »
 :turtle: :turtle3:
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2007, 06:53:43 PM by jimbo74 »

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »
go pull the tcase off your isuzu tranny  and post pics

Isuzu  used  GM  parts ALOT,  its very possible  your old tranny  could use a chevy S10 adapter to toyota tcase

Good idea, but I have a toyota top shift transfercase on it right now.  I'll have to see if my Isuzu 4wd trans and transfercase is still layin around Jeremy's shop :disturbed: :crossed:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:54:02 PM »
It may just be a difference of tailshafts on the tranny.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:00:34 PM »
What size is the Isuzu engine and what kind of power are we talking about anyway?

Why not make it easy on your self and do a 22R swap or even a 3RZ. This way you could gain more power, shorten your drive line and skip all the adapter stuff.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:03:33 PM »
What size is the Isuzu engine and what kind of power are we talking about anyway?

Why not make it easy on your self and do a 22R swap or even a 3RZ. This way you could gain more power, shorten your drive line and skip all the adapter stuff.

I have the 2.6 engine in the Amigo, and I would like to keep EFI.  This is extremely helpful!!! http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68&Number=485664

I see I can use the A340-F, it bolts right up to the 2.6 bellhousing :eek: But not quite the budget here :disturbed:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »
a 3rz will let you keep efi ;)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:08:01 PM »
a 3rz will let you keep efi ;)

As awsome as that sounds, I can't find a 3rz with trans/transfercase and computer for under $500 :down:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:08:45 PM »
I have the 2.6 engine in the Amigo, and I would like to keep EFI.  This is extremely helpful!!! http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68&Number=485664

I see I can use the A340-F, it bolts right up to the 2.6 bellhousing :eek: But not quite the budget here :disturbed:
if the 2.6 will bolt to a 340F  then it should bolt to other toy trannies
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:13:02 PM »
if the 2.6 will bolt to a 340F  then it should bolt to other toy trannies

Really? I'm not really transmission experienced :doh:

Thank you!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »
if your 2.6   would bolt to a toyota bellhousing  that would be sweet  then you could use a L52HD  and have dual cases  :yupyup:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:39:22 AM »
I've been doin some asking around.  It seems that the only Toyota transmissions that will bolt to the 2.6 bellhousing are automatics.  And there ain't any aftermarket gears for em, so my solution would have to be stacked tcases with an adapter and that runs a pretty penny. 

I'm gonna look for the 22RE setup.  In the meantime we're just gonna solid mount my engine/trans/tcase so that the rattling is minimized and the intermediate shaft can handle the setup.

:disturbed: :crossed:

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »
You should have just started with a Toyota truck and swapped bodies  :greengrin:
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:47:44 AM »
thats  just strange,  im  thinking the auto trannies  dont  have removeable bellhousings
:headscratch:

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:58:15 AM »
justina-i suggest you look into buying and entire toyota truck

if you can find a wrecked early 90s yota-there is a efi 22re-tranny, tcase, harness, guages...everything including the pennies under the seats.

then you truly will have everthing needed for a swap, and can sell the rest to recooperate revenue

for instance, toybuilt and i saw a 94 xtra cab at the pick and pull in rancho cordove, 350.00
it was rolled over, but complete-and had everything you needed

that way you could do what you wanted!!

just my 2 cents, lemme know if you want me to look around up here

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »
1984 Toyota 22R with 4 speed transmission - $350

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-252984186@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-12-23, 6:22PM PST

The motor/trans have 170K miles, and are in good working condition. I'm just doing a motor swap. Included is: exhaust, manifolds, starter/alt, shifter, clutch, emmisions, wiring etc. No radiator. Cash only, pickup only.

It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »
Vehicle has a Rebuilt Transmission,New Clutch,Rear Brakes,Wheel Cylinders,Drums,New Muffler,Water Pump,Timing Chain Set. All these parts have Approx. 3500-4000 Miles of Use. Vehicle needs some engine work. Lower end is Noisy. Poss. Rod Cap or Bearing problem.[parts added up to about $1400.00 I am Asking $1000.00 Custom Rims and 31 inch tires in great shape. My Cell # is 530-261-0699

This item has been posted by-owner.

It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

you could get this and resale the extra parts, and be back in your budget range

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »
Thank you :thumbs: Those are some good deals.  I'm very limited though and need to get the whole setup for under $500... Thank you for lookin Dan :gap:

And I know, I coulda started with a Toyota pickup and swapped the body :hammerhead: but then it wouldn't have been such a challenge :thud:

:disturbed: :hahaha:

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
well be patient and look, id be willing to bet that if you look at all the yards in rancho, youll fin what you need-they all have phone #s listed

call tap-tell em what youneed and how much you got, they will work with you

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:06:45 PM »
I'll give TAP a call, I doubt they'll let the whole setup go for under $1k though. :dunno:

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »
I'll give TAP a call, I doubt they'll let the whole setup go for under $1k though. :dunno:
i bought a tcase and tranny for 300.00 from them 6 years ago-just so ya know-good luck hun

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:21:26 PM »
TAP is a joke nowadays.  They won't let anything go anymore.  All the junkyards in Rancho are either overpriced or pretty much cleaned out.

Justina, whats stopping you from moving the t-case up any higher so you can get the intermediate shaft straighter?  sheetmetal?  crossmember?  :dunno:

:worthless:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
I've been doin some asking around.  It seems that the only Toyota transmissions that will bolt to the 2.6 bellhousing are automatics.  And there ain't any aftermarket gears for em, so my solution would have to be stacked tcases with an adapter and that runs a pretty penny. 

I'm gonna look for the 22RE setup.  In the meantime we're just gonna solid mount my engine/trans/tcase so that the rattling is minimized and the intermediate shaft can handle the setup.

:disturbed: :crossed:

I'm thinking you're asking the wrong people :greengrin:   They don't have certain motors that bolt to autos, and some that bolt to manuals.  If the 4cyl auto will bolt up, It doesn't make any sense why a manual tranny wouldn't bolt up.  Your issue may be input shafts, but as far as bellhousings being the same, autos and manuals are :thumbs:

Heres another link I found for ya, this may help :dunno:

http://www.toyotaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2007, 03:00:13 PM »
Thanks Jason,

I'll have to read up when I get home.  Work is busy :phone:

:wave:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2007, 04:09:45 PM »
:OH :hyper:  OH :hyper:  i was looking for some GMC parts today  and found a early 80's  Isuzu 4x4 pickup  with the DEISEL

:woohoo:

i can probably get the hole  engine tranny and tcase for 200  :disturbed:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
:OH :hyper:  OH :hyper:  i was looking for some GMC parts today  and found a early 80's  Isuzu 4x4 pickup  with the DEISEL

:woohoo:

i can probably get the hole  engine tranny and tcase for 200  :disturbed:

Hmmm... would I have to worry bout smog, even though it's diesel and diesels in CA don't have to smog? I mean being a '93 and built as a gas vehicle, would I be able to register it here?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:41:20 PM »
:thud:  um probably not  :down:

wheres Rocksurfer  :inthedark:

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »
Hmmm... would I have to worry bout smog, even though it's diesel and diesels in CA don't have to smog? I mean being a '93 and built as a gas vehicle, would I be able to register it here?
yes you could, i have, so has aaron, there are rules, but in the end, you have to referee it, and  he calls it in the end

do you have family in nevada oregon washington? or blingin xj?
you could just "sell "it to them and plate it in another state
my crazy subaru is registered in nevada ;)