Author Topic: retreads???  (Read 4331 times)

Travota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
retreads???
« on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:04:11 PM »
has anyone tried high tec retreading? I'm gonna need new tires soon probably but I'm broke....http://high-tec-retreading.com/DesktopDefault.aspx
85 toy
01 Silverado

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: retreads???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
they retread big rig tires..... of course i do see a lot of big rig treads on the sides of the highways peeled off, but.......

i would personally just get some cheapo used tires of craigslist
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:28:10 PM »

i would personally just get some cheapo used tires of craigslist
X2, ive just seen too many problems with retreads
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:41:52 PM »
another thing with big rigs, if they have 1 tire blow out, they dont roll, as they still have a bunch of other tires on the same axle

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »
bigrigs also tow a whole lot the tires are stressed 24/7. i am goin to get some i for DD use. so i can save my iroks for wheelin

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:38:44 PM »
bigrigs also tow a whole lot the tires are stressed 24/7. i am goin to get some i for DD use. so i can save my iroks for wheelin

Drew
Drew,  i have you know  it is  against the law  to have retreads  on the frontaxle of ANY truck

infact,  MOST trucking companies  ONLY run retreads  on the trailer,  very few  run them on the drive axles anymore  because of the  damage they can do to the truck when they come off

I once had a retread come loose  going thru arizona,  wasnt bad hot, mid 80's  but  i was haulin :moon:   left rear  outside  tire on the trailer slung the cap off with such force  it  pealed the  skin  off the  left side door  on my reefer trailer

$1200  damage  for a $200  tire
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:13:13 PM »
retreads -------> :aaa: :yikes:

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »
I wouldn't trust a retread.  They are retreaded for a reason because they have been worn out once.

Travota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:06:49 AM »
thanks guys thats pretty much what I was thinking, just thought I would ask.
85 toy
01 Silverado

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:48:16 AM »
Drew,  i have you know  it is  against the law  to have retreads  on the frontaxle of ANY truck

infact,  MOST trucking companies  ONLY run retreads  on the trailer,  very few  run them on the drive axles anymore  because of the  damage they can do to the truck when they come off

I once had a retread come loose  going thru arizona,  wasnt bad hot, mid 80's  but  i was haulin :moon:   left rear  outside  tire on the trailer slung the cap off with such force  it  pealed the  skin  off the  left side door  on my reefer trailer

$1200  damage  for a $200  tire
  glen you hit  the head of the nail  here   it is very illegal to run  recaps on front axle
driving in 5 or 99 in cali  there is a ton of gators on the road

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:36:18 PM »
im not sayin i dont believe you  but i have yet to find a law banning them from steer tires. they cant be used on buses on the steer axle and cant be retreaded more then 2 times but no law saying that cant be used on steer axles.

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:37:56 PM »
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2006, 03:00:56 PM »
this is where i read it.

http://www.retread.org/PDF/SteerAxle.pdf

good  post   never  heard of it before  i have always been told  that they are illegal  guess a person has to check it out   and go from there   i myself would never run them on steer axles  but  others might  i have seen to  many  blow  or shred,, its all about saftey

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
i have seen many "new" tires shred too its all about tire care.

DRew
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2006, 03:18:03 PM by Rockcrawlintoy »
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:24:06 PM »
Actually there was a law that forbid having any retread on the steering axle of any vehicle until they recently re-wrote the law allowing them provided the casings met certain guidlines. What that means is all tires can be capped but most older tires cannot be used on the steering axle since they don't meet the requirements.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »
Wanna hear something funny?  There is a company selling retreads for sportbikes, and to prove they're safe enough they run their own race team and sponsor others.  If you ever see a tire on a sportbike that's any color other than black, it's one of theirs.  From what I've seen they've actually proven themselves very well, but then again, they did get their roots long ago in retreading airplane tires, and those have to be safe to 300mph!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2006, 09:32:26 PM »
I haven't heard of them having any tires coming apart, but I know bridgestone had a rear come apart during a moto gp race at 200mph!  Rider highsided but came out with no real injuries  :yikes:
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2006, 09:38:18 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:16:46 AM »
I have read a couple threads by people who tried the retreads.  From what I hear they perform quite well and wear VERY well.  That green, whetever it is compound that hi-tek uses is recomended.  They are all build on BFG AT carcasses I believe.  If they made a tire that would fit my rig right I would give em a shot.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

miks85yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -210
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2006, 11:31:23 AM »
i know when they come apart an our tank trailers, they take the light box, fender and evereything with em, but we not had a problem lately mustve changed the bonding process, but ive never heard of any problems runnin em on a trail rig, but i wouldnt do it on a daily driver

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »
I also looked at retreads, and called the place up that was sellign them.  They guy was very professional, answered all my questions, but he said that if you do any type of wheelin' in the vehicle you want to put them on, don't. :headshake:  he said he tried putting them on his hunting truck, and the sidewalls don't flex for crap. They're great on the street, but I guess the retreading process stiffens the sidewall so the tire itse;f doesn't flex as well. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:21:16 PM »
i know a guy here in town that has some worn out boggers, and he retreaded them with some skidster treads, they are hard as hell, but they work great on the rocks, just grab and go, imma do the same to my boggers when they wear out, i will post a pic tommorrow of them

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
Could be a heat issue, or moreover a re-heat issue.  Street tires are ok with repeated heat cycles, but only to a certain temp.  A race tire carcass may better respond to the potential high heat of the bonding process, but the street tires might have an exaggerated aging reaction. 

Just a theory :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:28:49 PM »
have you guys seen airplane tires? tehy are 2-3" thick even the little ones are heavy....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:14:24 PM »
I know a kid that ran over a palate with a brand new re tread tire and shredded it  :haha: They don't sound too tough to me.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

kevin286

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Yeehaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:22:16 AM »
I have been using 31" M/T retreads from high tec on my 4runner dd/weekend explorer for over a year now without any problems, they balenced out nicely, and the tread is not wearing abnormaly. The cores where bfg. I've been happy with them.  :driving:
'94 4Runner, 3.0, Downey HD Coils, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Drop-in, ARB Bull bar w/warn M8000
'83 Toy longbed. 35"s on MT Classics, DP bed, Post '86 rearend, 5.29s, rebuilt .040 over, 216cam, warn m8k w/syn rope, MC hysteer, bla bla.

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
How much you pay for those Kevin? How many miles on them? For a "small" tire they might work fine.
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2006, 11:59:10 PM »
Something you gotta remember too, it's not like they just go to a huge pile of rubber and pull out random tires to retread.  They have very strict standards they hold the tires to, and they probably go through several analysis steps before being deemed usable.
RIP KYOTA

miks85yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -210
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »
yeah i was just talkin to our tire guy, and he was tellin us how much he cant believe the improvements in selecting and analyzing and the bonding process itself on the casings they get for capping over the last couple years, so i asked him if he was gonna reimburse us for all our fenders and light boxes and time fixing trailers during their "developement" phase, he just laughed.