Author Topic: Remove BL or not  (Read 2473 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Remove BL or not
« on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:17:54 PM »
Hey, I have quick question and would like your opinions. I have a 2 in body lift and I’m wondering how much of a difference in handling going back to stock would make. I also have raised my engine/tranny/t-case a couple of inches in order to get as flat as I could on the bottom…this would stay as it is. So really, I’m wondering how much lower the CG would be by just lowering the body.
Thanks
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Remove BL or not
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2006, 12:08:15 AM »
im my experience, little to no difference.  I've got a 3" body, 4" IFS suspension with chevies, and 35" BFG MTs with no sway bar, and my buddy has the identical truck with the exception of the 3" body.  :there is very little difference, a tad more body roll, but not even noticable to me :dunno:  Also, with my big :moon: hands, the benefits of working on my motor with the body lift far out weigh the downsides that I've experienced (ie, a little extra body roll)
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2006, 07:46:26 AM »
i recently installed a 2 inch bl  and i cant tell any difference at all,  besides the occasional squeek  :willynilly:
and like Jason said ,  the  ability to  reach stuff  makes it alot nicer
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TexJeff87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Dec '05
  • I wheel in my yard...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:00:23 AM »
Seeing as you have done a drivetrain lift, is taking it off even an option? :dunno:
grease under 'ma nails....
formerly a cherry sas'd 87 runner, now an assortment of dents
35's, lockers, and a canback

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:17:42 AM »
Seeing as you have done a drivetrain lift, is taking it off even an option? :dunno:

I think I'd have enough room under the hood, but I should double check. I just want to make a decision before I make my sliders, close up the hole in the floor (tranny lift) and make a cage.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:43:50 AM »
I don't think you'll tell any difference with or without the body lift. I have had several toyotas with body lifts and I have not had complaints. Actually I like a body lift. I think a truck with a 2" body lift and 3" springs is a LOT more stable than a truck with 5" springs and no body lift. I don't know why everyone thinks a body lift will make your CG so awful. I think your CG is worse with suspension lift than a body lift. Think about it, if you put a 3" body lift on a stock truck you raise only the cab and bed 3". Your frame and drivetrain stayed put and this is where most of the weight is, not the cab. With a 3" suspension lift you raise everything 3". I think the lower you can keep your frame hieght the better it will perform.

I like the idea of raising the t-case to match the body lift, but leaving the engine in the stock location. This gives you a flat belly with more clearance, while still keeping the frame hieght and the engine low on the axles. You gain plenty of ground clearance under the frame from the larger tires and flat belly without using super tall lift springs.

Also, you gain more tire clearance from 2" of body lift than you would with 4" springs. With a 2" body lift you get true 2" of tire clearance, unlike a suspension lift which only gives you tire clearance on flat ground unless you put long bumpstop extensions. As mentioned earlier, a body lift makes a lot of stuff easier to work on.

Overall I think there are a lot of advantages to a body lift that get overlooked because the general consensus is that body lifts are awful and when some mentions body lifts you get flamed. I think this is a misconception.

For what it's worth, you now have my  :twocents: on body lifts.  :rofl2:
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2006, 10:57:39 AM »
I ran a 2" on my 4Runner and it didn't seem to make a difference in feel when I 1st put it on, I'd just leave it especially if you didn't put it on. There are a lot of things that were altered to a minor degree that would have to be dealt with if you take it off.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:02:45 AM »
I ran a 2" on my 4Runner and it didn't seem to make a difference in feel when I 1st put it on, I'd just leave it especially if you didn't put it on. There are a lot of things that were altered to a minor degree that would have to be dealt with if you take it off.

I put it on...but the more I look at it, the more I think I'll leave it on. More room for sliders, a bumper and the winch. Besides, it's a good (4Crawler) kit.
Thanks every one!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:10:08 AM »
I can safely say that my 2" lift saved my kickers and rockers on many occasion since it would land on the frame before it would hit the body, plus you can come straight out with your sliders instead of an angle. I only hit my body one time and the damage would have been a lot worse if it didn't have a body lift.

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:26:18 AM »
i had a body lift on my old 95 ifs and that :pokinit: is gay.  flatbelly with no body lift is way cooler
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:18:21 PM »
i had a body lift on my old 95 ifs and that :pokinit: is gay.

I wonder if it's anywhere near as gay as telling people you don't know that their sh!it is gay. Given your well thought out response...I think I'll keep it on.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:26:03 PM »
Isn't it funny how people think something is gay just because they haven't tried it? I loved my lift and put it on a gay IFS truck to boot. I guess I'm just twice as gay. Bet I've taken my gay ass IFS with a 2" gay ass body lift some places that even some bad ass rigs would wince at... not everyone but some especially since it was gay. :gap:

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:22:23 PM »
all i was trying to say is that i personally didnt like the body lift that i had on my truck
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:31:55 PM »
all i was trying to say is that i personally didnt like the body lift that i had on my truck

That sounds a bit more neighborly! You slide further on BS than you do on sandpaper.
I haven’t been dissatisfied with my BL…I just wanted to make sure before I committed to welding on a bunch of stuff.

Mark

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:49:58 PM »
Isn't it funny how people think something is gay just because they haven't tried it?  I guess I'm just twice as gay. :gap:
  :gap: that pretty much sums up rocksurfer :gay:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:57:59 PM »
i had a body lift on my old 95 ifs and that :pokinit: is gay.  flatbelly with no body lift is way cooler

:rofl2: Yeah, anybody with your obvious wealth of knowledge should be over on pirate... they'd love you over there.  :punish:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2006, 10:00:34 AM »
:popcorn:   

:woohoo: for BL 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly