Author Topic: Getting ready to do a SAS.  (Read 2245 times)

blackSR5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Getting ready to do a SAS.
« on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:14:49 PM »
Ok so i am getting ready to start my SAS on a 91 era cab SR5. What I wanted to kow was what are the parts that I should use. i am trying to dothis as least expensive as possible so a full kit is out of the question. What springs? You know things like that. Please help me out. I don't want to make any mistakes. i want to do this right the first time.
Want a Runner or a truck...and a DIRT BIKE!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Getting ready to do a SAS.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:17:55 PM »
use some toyota rear springs  with a f150 leaf added for support,  your gonna HAVE TO GET  a hysteer  the rest can be fabbed  if your  a good  fab man
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2006, 02:10:09 PM »
you can get just the front crossmember and rear hangers from malrin without the kit alot of people run rears up front and then chevy springs as the rear. get a hy steer kit. thats about all you really need the rest is jsut the axle housing and all that i would rec some fj rotors like the ones that are in the sas kit. it would be wise for wheel spacers because the rear axle is going to be wider then the front, people run i think its f150 shock towers someone correct me if i am wrong and then shocks its up to you as what you want to do i would rec some bilsteins but thats just me your gonna need some longer brake lines as well you can find those alot of places. a u bolt flip kit would be a good idea to do as well! what is your budget for this?
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2006, 03:20:14 PM »

u need to decide if u are going to buy a kit or piece it together. if u piece it together and have some time like me u can find good deals on stuff (new and used) check major manufacturers sites for monthly specials :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2006, 05:39:31 PM »
 :twocents:Mine wasn't exactly a sas but it was piced together. I built my own hanger and used rears up front, even fabed my own steering box mount. Despite what some may say, you can save lots of money fabing stuff yourself. Be prepared to put alot of labor into it though. There are some things I suggest buying to make things go smoother though, like frame shackle jigs and shackles new bushings. Most inportanty crossover steering ,which is probably the best mod I have done to my truck, whith the crawler running a close second. :twocents:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »
That sound like some great advise guys. For my budget I would like to stay at about $500. Is this even doable?? I don't even know. Also what do i want to get from a junk yard and what do I want to get new? Really I am just trying to get all the :pokinit: then I have a buddy that is going to he3lp me put it on. It just sucks cause I work on weekends and he has weekends off. So I will buy a Hi Steer. Run the rear springs in the front?? I want to run 37" tire in the long run and be able to run this truck where ever I want. How High will this bring me?? Oh heay I already have a 3" body lift on it. Thanks for te healp keep it coming guys.
Want a Runner or a truck...and a DIRT BIKE!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:41:47 PM »
That sound like some great advise guys. For my budget I would like to stay at about $500. Is this even doable?? I don't even know.

no not really possible if u wanna do it right. the high steer is 350-400 alone. u have to rebuild the axle too. assuming the bearings are still good (I would recommend replacing them on a 25 year old axle) you will still have to buy a rebuild kit. there's another 75-150 bucks. wheel spacers 100 bucks. rotors, shocks, steering stabilizer, hoops (cheapest are f-150), chevy springs, frame tubes and jigs, shackles, brake lines and probably some other stuff i forgot. lemme see if i can find this thread for u hold on ........

bump stops, hangar can be fabricated
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:47:25 PM »
check here   http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=73882

though he says he got over 500$ back for ifs stuff. i cant see it being worth quite that much
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2006, 07:52:11 PM by Dirt Toy Boy »
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »
some junkyard rears  up front,  leave yours  where they are,  get 1 set of  2wd F150 springs  and  put a leaf or 2  in the front  and  the same in the back

dont worry about the ubolt flip right now,  if your axle is in good shape  dont sweat that either,  you can fix  it later,

i would suggest Marlins front crossmember/hanger  just for simplicity
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way