Poll

what psi do you guys run ur tires at in snow/ice?

12 (16%)
10 (13.3%)
10 (13.3%)
8 (10.7%)
8 (10.7%)
3 (4%)
7 (9.3%)
2 (2.7%)
8 (10.7%)
2 (2.7%)
1 (1.3%)
4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: psi and snow?  (Read 10107 times)

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
Re: psi and snow?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:23:49 PM »
This was the first trip for these tires. Desmond ran them at around 2-3 psi. They did great but the conditions were better than ideal too.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:30:04 PM »
Same gumbo's other truck.

I have run these gumbo's at pressure so low I did not have a guage to read it. i can't do that when they are on the cruiser because it weighs too much. The one trip I experimented and found you need some pressure to hold the shape of the tire. 2 psi is about as low as you can go and keep a decent shape. 3 is a big difference from 2 same as 3 is a big difference from 6
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:32:51 PM »
I REALLY like that truck the exo and fenders are sick.
This was the first trip for these tires. Desmond ran them at around 2-3 psi. They did great but the conditions were better than ideal too.
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:37:34 PM »
I REALLY like that truck the exo and fenders are sick.
:offtopic: yes yes yes :drool:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:05:13 PM »
i keep mine at 8 year-round.  never had a problem in the snow (with the way my truck is now)

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
the only time my truck went snow wheeling I didnt feel like airing down so I was at 35 psi all day but I made it where we were going and back fine just wondered a little  :laugh:

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »
Just so you guys know they do still make gumbos. You either have to order them in a large amount from the company or there are a few places online that sell them ill see if I can dig it up.....http://www.wheelingtire.com/catalog/Details.cfm?ProdID=41&category=8 http://www.ntwonline.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=48&Product_ID=1106&CATID=10 Honestly I have no idea how you guys that run higher than 15 or 20 make it anywhere unless there is some ground under that snow. When I had my 35 mtrs I tried those pressures and I couldnt even make it up the road to our spot. Those of you that run the mtrs and dont know about airing them down much. I ran mine on (15x10 steel rims not that good for holding beads aluminum rims have better lip to hold bead) at 4 psi and only blew 2 beads the whole year. Cruzila hit it right on the head with the pressures and the gumbos too. If I can get permission and a place to host it I have a pretty sweet snow wheelin video my friend made. Gotrocks has seen it he can attest to it. Any place to host that might need like a password where you cant download it just watch it from?

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »
oh usually when im crawling i actually run 5psi (seriously, call me crazy)  and ive never lost a bead or any air.  I run 37" mtrs on 15x8" rockcrawlers.  I just didnt feel like airing down and then having to drive 30 miles to get them aired back up that day so I just did that

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2006, 07:56:29 PM »
snowrunner you should try and put some parts of it off or photobucket you can link movies on it as well as photos

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #39 on: Nov 03, 2006, 07:43:37 AM »
oh usually when im crawling i actually run 5psi (seriously, call me crazy)  and ive never lost a bead or any air.  I run 37" mtrs on 15x8" rockcrawlers.  I just didnt feel like airing down and then having to drive 30 miles to get them aired back up that day so I just did that
Then you were not snow "wheeling"

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #40 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:00:31 AM »

But with the rims. On the 35" tires I used few years back I had 10"wide rims.  But on 38-39" I use 14 and 15" wide rims.   itīs all about getting the tire to as big ground area as possible with too narrow rims the mark  in the snow would look something like a w =deep on the edges then soft in the senter....     Hard to explain with out a pic.... but itīs importand to have it as flat as possible.   Hereīs a pic of the 39,5 TRXXUS with something less than 1 psi in it ... here I was having problem with the rim spinning inside the tire. But with the rims we weld an extra lip to help with holding the tire on the rim.  and we use glue also.... I am always on the way to geting beadlocks.   
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
here is a pic off some aluminium rims in the process of beeing modified to 17" wide.... that will be used for 44"

and more from me... just showing off
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2006, 09:09:50 AM by Bazzi »
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:21:05 AM »
35x12 Mud Kings on 15x10 steel rims at around 10PSI.  Seems to work well for me.  This way I don't have to worry about airing back up to drive home when I don't trailer it.

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2006, 04:09:08 PM »
Hey Bazzi, how do you like the Truxus tires?? I have seen the directional tread and wondered how it would do on sidehills.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #44 on: Nov 05, 2006, 05:48:59 PM »
you shouldnīt have to worry at all about the side hills. I have had a lot of questions about this. And I always find the best answear (after trying to explain for a while  :tantrum:)  It just works.

If you think about it like that. The forward motion is without a doubt good and if you are so unlucky finding the truck sliding in a side hill. the rear end usually finds it way lower earlyer than the front and then you have that perfect traction again...  also the directional treads are shaped like a v vorking towards the center of the tire... so what basicly happens is that that v gets filled up with snow and makes a good traction..... Itīs hard to explain..... It just works

The only thing wrong with these tires is that itīs hard to cut them so the tire flexes more without destoing the grip so basicly that tels us that itīs a good design The only thing I am thinking about doing is to cut the space between the treads making it more open, and adding some nails. for the winter

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 05, 2006, 11:40:15 PM »
I'll be intrested to see how you do this.  I sold the same type of tires you have to a buddy of mine and I've been trying to figure out a way to make them softer for the snow.  We've lost a few beeds so far and I'd like to make them softer if we could

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 06, 2006, 03:13:41 AM »
break them in..  run them up and down the street  at like 2-3 psi to get them nice and hot and pop the cords.. we do this with every interco tire that me and my friends use.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #47 on: Nov 06, 2006, 02:43:07 PM »
break them in..  run them up and down the street  at like 2-3 psi to get them nice and hot and pop the cords.. we do this with every interco tire that me and my friends use.

Ok break them in but I wouldnīt dare to do it like ironclad.... I would drive them for at least a weak in 25 psi. then I would start taking the air out. start in 18-20psi. and then go for one weak or so in 12 psi and after that I would start airing down in the snow  fyrst at 5-6 psi and then go lower.

1. fyrst let the tire grap it self to the rim = donīt buy a new tire and start airing down the same day, let the rubber set and make it a bit softer before you start airing down, the tire lasts so much longer if you do it this way.

2. start airing down when you leave the asfault, = on the asfault the tire doesnīt have anything that cools it down execpt for air and that aint healthy, NEVER run your tire inflated on asfault except if you are driving real slow. If you do the wirings inside the tire heat up and rip inside, You wount see it but the tire is tearing it self apart from the insite.... 

You have to do this slowly and it takes time there is no right way to do this some peoble start right away in 10 psi and that is just theyr choise you might even start on the 2 psi run it for a short time and then let it cool down your choise, but each time we have a tire blasting a big hole in the bed the tire companys say itīs cause of a to less air in the tire and it is your fault. I have heard storyīs about guys that ditnīt bother to air up drove for 3-400 km home and after a half a hour or so when they where emptiing theyre truck sudenly a bang. and by by tire   :twocents:

you donīt want this to happen to you

not the picture I was looking for but a year ago there was a big argument between one of the major tire dealer here in Iceland and a customer, He posted a lot of pictures about exactly this dilema. And it seams like he has deleted them all.
But this is simular but mabe a bit extreme usually the tire pops with a lout bang sometimes when driving and sometimes after you stop, and leaves a hole big enaugh for your arm.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 06, 2006, 03:43:08 PM »
never had a tire blow with what we do..   have done it with hundreds of tires over the years.   hell with my truggy i only ran 3psi in the rear  when i drove it on the street with no problems.  though my truck was very light  (the difference between 3 and 5 psi  was insane in the stiffness of the ride)  we also cut the hell out of our tires too to get them to soften up.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #49 on: Nov 06, 2006, 04:30:42 PM »
never had a tire blow with what we do..   have done it with hundreds of tires over the years.   hell with my truggy i only ran 3psi in the rear  when i drove it on the street with no problems.  though my truck was very light  (the difference between 3 and 5 psi  was insane in the stiffness of the ride)  we also cut the hell out of our tires too to get them to soften up.

OK good We have had problems with the tires here but we offcourse are not running them under any buggyīs these tires that I had heard about are all under trucks that weight + 2500 kg and the answear from the dealers is always the same = you ran the tire without enough air pressure and that caused it to blow. The ones owning the tires are offcourse never happy with that answear and I am imaging that they donīt wanna tell the truth even if they know that they ran it with - 10 psi for over 4-500 km doing over 100 km/p hour = 65 miles/Ph

There are always ghost storyīs and the one telling the story is always right I try to listen to them all and afterwards choose which one I follow

but any way here is a link.  http://www.mmedia.is/gjjarn/irokgrein/

The guy is telling us (in Icelandic) how to treat the tires, basically we have to be carefull about not overheating the tires = make sure not to drive to fast on surface that doesnīt cool the tire.
= snow = cools the tire a lot,
 = water, mud= should also cool the tire a lot so it should be OK to drive fast under those circumstances for a long time   
=  I have heard about gravel cools down the tire also but I am always carefull with that, I rather like my truck to run smoothly (coil springs)

= as fault = doesnīt cool the tires at all, and no high speed driving should be allowed = running them hot for over a long period. He explains that the warmth in the tire makes the air inside the tire to expand, causing the psi to go up and eventually blowing the tire. which is weaker cause of the heat.

You can see on the pictures how he suggests cutting iroc 42"  mudder 38" and trxxus 39,5"

I am not suggesting that anyone does this or that I am just telling you what I would do. You have to decide what to do.

Regards Bæring

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:24:37 PM »
i'll have to get some pics of how my TSL's are cut and aswell as my baja claws.
we have also done the methods ive talked about on fullsize trucks ( big chevys and such) so  it has been done on heavy ass vehicles.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #51 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:46:59 PM »
ok cool.
I am not saying itīs a bad methood. Donīt get me wrong I am sorry if I mabe came on strong or something.
here is a pic of a trxus that blew like I described. the 38" trxuse is famus here for dooing that, and the dealer took it off the marked because of that fact.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #52 on: Nov 06, 2006, 07:57:21 PM »
OK one thing just popped into my mind. There is this gas that some guyīs are using here Co2 I think itīs used on beer cages and stuff like that. Any way that gas is supposed to expand 400% when it leaves the botle and expands also when it heatīs up. ī

Do you guys use that in the U.S.  ?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Nov 06, 2006, 08:06:16 PM »
OK one thing just popped into my mind. There is this gas that some guyīs are using here Co2 I think itīs used on beer cages and stuff like that. Any way that gas is supposed to expand 400% when it leaves the botle and expands also when it heatīs up. ī

Do you guys use that in the U.S.  ?
like this? a Powertank? can be used for seating beads and whatnot http://www.powertank.com/
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Nov 06, 2006, 08:08:42 PM »
c02  sucks for snow because due to the cold  it expands and contracts so much  so we use  onboard air ( using a ac compressor)   i have friends that use  c02 though    and they are always blowing beads due to  the cold  making the gas lessen.. ( less psi) and are always having to stop and air up.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #55 on: Nov 07, 2006, 04:16:30 AM »
a lot of peoble use it here to blow the tire to the rim but I prefer strating spray, most of us have onboard air, converted aircontition pumps or electrical pumps. But there are some that like the Co2 cause how quickly it blows up the tires.
 I have both arb for the lockers and fini air compressure for the tires. But the one thing I have heard about peoble complaining about = peoble that use co2 when they finally get moving over 60 km/phour, and stopp suddenly they have something like 10 psi in there not 4 or something they aimed for when they started with.....

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Nov 07, 2006, 04:23:01 AM »
yep  thats what happens to us thats why i wont use it.  constantly have to monitor air pressure
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:45:15 PM »
Heres a clip to my thread with the snow wheelin video in it http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28543.new#new

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:52:10 PM »
now thats my kind of snow wheelin.. thats how we do it down here
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Nov 07, 2006, 10:54:17 PM »
It can get crazier too that was just a sampler. If your ever up this way come wheelin. I love the snow. I want to go wheelin in colorado and cali one of these days!