Author Topic: mud snow tires  (Read 2412 times)

dune_it86

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 323
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
mud snow tires
« on: Oct 25, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »
i finally started to build my 1st gen  mostly wheel in mud and snow i was think in boggers but what are your thoughts they will be 37'' tall

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: mud snow tires
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »
If you are looking for snow, look no further than the Toyo Open Country M/T.  gotrocks had a set of siped 37's on his 4Runner and pulled me up a hill that nobody else made without assistance (i.e. winch).  He drove up both lines and then drug me up the same line that everyone else was struggling with.  There were several other quality tires represented that day including various forms of boggers.  I don't know how they do in mud, but in snow they are excellent.

Check out the 36 Hour SAS thread for pictures of the trip.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

dune_it86 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 323
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Toyfanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2006, 04:01:28 AM »
I have alredy owned  set of 35x13.50x15 toyo mt's while they are in my opinion the best multi purpose and great balanced tire i want a more aggressive tread like bogger,irok,or trxus mt. my group is excesive on mud & snow i am leanin twards the bogger but will see

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2006, 09:25:04 AM »
I have alredy owned  set of 35x13.50x15 toyo mt's while they are in my opinion the best multi purpose and great balanced tire i want a more aggressive tread like bogger,irok,or trxus mt. my group is excesive on mud & snow i am leanin twards the bogger but will see

Swamper and Bogger are better in mud, but the Toyo I'm sure is better in the snow.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
I'll have agree with BD on this!  Ex-schwabbie here, the more sipping you got the better snow and ice grip you'll have!  A all season or a tire that has a good combination of all season and traction will do better than a pure traction tire!  The toyo, cooper sst (it's a toyo copy), and a bfg mud terrain are all excellent snow tires!  Boggers were designed with MUD in mind only!  The swampers do better in snow than boggers!  Just get them sipped!  It's worth the extra money!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2006, 04:57:54 PM »
I'll have agree with BD on this!  Ex-schwabbie here, the more sipping you got the better snow and ice grip you'll have!  A all season or a tire that has a good combination of all season and traction will do better than a pure traction tire!  The toyo, cooper sst (it's a toyo copy), and a bfg mud terrain are all excellent snow tires!  Boggers were designed with MUD in mind only!  The swampers do better in snow than boggers!  Just get them sipped!  It's worth the extra money!

The Toyo's are much better than the BFGs I would expect.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:19:39 PM »
I've seen guys run all day in mud and snow with BFG's and never have any problems!  The only problem I've seen from BFG is the sidewalls!  Did ya know that BFG used to put a 50,000 mile warranty on their all seasons!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:58:51 PM »
My opions are this for strictly snow a 38 radial gumbo mudder flat out beets anything else. For strictly mud a bogger is probably best(no experience with this) they do suck in snow and ive seen this. Muiltipurpose I would say a BFG or a MTR are really good. I ran 35 mtrs and loved them both in the snow and mud. Ive driven GOTROCKS runner with the Toyos and was really impressed. Not up to gumbo par but very good none the less. We only aired them down to like 5-7 lbs though so they didnt pooch out like id like to see but still they were great. My recomendation since you would want to do both is the Toyo. Just my 2 cents

Jack8542

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -111
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Strength and Honor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2006, 05:17:20 AM »
Hey man, if you want a great tire for that kind of stuff go with the iroc.  im runnin 37 13.50s and i took em out with 35 psi in three feet of untraveled snow and didnt once have a problem, in the mud i never had a problem either.  the tread is pretty sick lookin too its lots of little sipes all over the place and the outer lugs are cupped just like a bogger just not as deep.  maybe its just me but the iroc really works great.
RIP SSg Sizemore, Sgt Mock, Spc McGuness, Pfc Hill, Pfc Marsh, Pfc   Garcia, Pfc Hardge, Ssg Campos. You will be missed greatly by all of C-Rock.

gonepostal

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
Just my 2cents but I really like the trxus m/t's so far.  I haven't had a real good chance to wheel them on my yota yet.  When I had them on my foolsize half-ton Ram they were the :pokinit: on the ice and snow.  On top of that this truck was open in both ends and I never got stuck. They wear really well even on my 5,300lbs Ram.  Like I said though, haven't got a chance to take them on any serious trails.  You might ask some other people who have run them more.  Anyway that's my opinion.