Author Topic: Toyo Open Country M/T vs BFG Mud KM  (Read 9297 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Toyo Open Country M/T vs BFG Mud KM
« on: Oct 24, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »
I have a couple of questions...feel free to flame for starting another tire thread.    :flamed:

(1) According to www.tirerack.com a 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud KM weighs 58 lbs while www.toyo.com lists the Open Country M/T at 84 lbs for a 35x13.50x15.  Is the Toyo really that much heavier?

:dunno:  The good news would be that sand bags wouldn't be required in the winter for traction.

(2) Does anybody know what the BFG Mud Terrain KM 2 is?  www.tirerack.com lists them at $469 per tire.   :inthedark:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM+2
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Toyo Open Country M/T vs BFG Mud KM
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2006, 01:07:07 PM »
The KM2 is there limited production mud terrain and they only come as 22's. 

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2006, 04:03:56 PM »
the toyos have a fair amount more rubber in them than the BFGs do, so that would make sense that they are heavier... they are a whole inch wider and in reality probably two inches wider... they are a big tire... which when added everywhere adds a lot of weight.. and look at the sidewall differences.    i love my toyo's but a lot of people swear by bfg's...
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »
well the toyo has a 7 ply sidewall which adds to the weight.  If I'm not mistaken the BFG only has a 4 or 5 ply.  A huge advantage IMO is that the Toyo are almost perfectly balanced right from the factory.  Go ask any tireshop thats mounted the Toyo MT and they'll tell you that it takes almost no counter weights if any to balance them.  The local L. S. here just mounted a set for a Excursion after they had lifted it and the manager (a friend of mine) said they didnt' need ANY weight to balance them.  They were all perfectly true.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2006, 05:57:03 PM »
I don't doubt that the Toyo is an excellent quality tire, but when I consider the additional cost, additional weight for the 4 cyl to push around, and the fact that I have been extremely happy with my current BFGs it is difficult to build a case to change tires.

I have considered going back to aluminum wheels to reduce the weight, but as I remember the difference was minimal.

I would have to get carbon fiber lug nuts to make up for the added weight of the Toyo's.  I better start shopping some "rice rocket" sites and maybe I can find some lug nuts that increase hp as well.

:haha:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »
just get some trd stickers.. they increase hp by at least 5 for the big stickers    :clap:

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »
just get some trd stickers.. they increase hp by at least 5 for the big stickers    :clap:
  stickers does not increase hp at all..........just better throttle response  which make you think you gain some hp :hammer:
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:52:43 PM »
just remember bd you will have a fresh motor to push those around with and I don't know how much your finding them for but I can get you 35's for 205 a tire.  I know its  a bit more than the BFG's though

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
I don't doubt that the Toyo is an excellent quality tire, but when I consider the additional cost and the fact that I have been extremely happy with my current BFGs it is difficult to build a case to change tires.

:psss:  just get the coopers then, they're cheaper :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:42:09 PM »
yea the coopers are basically the same tire... same pattern and all..

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:45:05 PM »
if the no sandbags was an actual issue you are thinking of, then having heavier tires will do nothing for it, you wwill still need the sandbags, sure the tires are x amount heavier, but they are unsprung weight, you need the weight in the bed to push down on the tires for that extra traction
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:52:36 PM »
I  don't think he is serious

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2006, 11:59:22 AM »
I  don't think he is serious

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

just remember bd you will have a fresh motor to push those around with and I don't know how much your finding them for but I can get you 35's for 205 a tire.  I know its  a bit more than the BFG's though

I have not priced out the Toyo's locally, but I think I can get the BFG's for about $180 per tire.  I will also be looking at other options and still could end up with the Toyo's.  Their capability in the snow was impressive.  I wish my BFGs would have been siped to see how much that helped, but I suspect the 33 vs. 37 difference was also a huge factor.

I'm sure I will have more power, but 4.88 gears with 35's is already a step down from 4.88 gears with 33's so I'm not expecting it to be significantly stronger on the road.

I would love to run 5.29 gears with the 35's, but cannot justify the cost.  If falls into the same category as selectable lockers, I would love to have them, but can't justify the money considering how happy I am with the automatic ones.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »
You won't even notice the difference in weight between the 2.  I went from 35" BFG's to 36" IROKS and can tell only a slight difference in power and the IROK measures to almost 37".  BFG's work good in the snow, but suck in the rocks.  I constantly worried about puncturing sidewalls and saw many on others get punctured.  If I was you, go with the Toyo's.

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2006, 10:25:44 AM »
BFG's are three ply sidewall.  Toyo's are 6-7 side with 10 tread?  For trails and low pressure, I wouldn't reccommend the BFG's.   The have a hard time staying on the rim's at low pressure.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:45:23 PM »
BFG's are three ply sidewall.  Toyo's are 6-7 side with 10 tread?  For trails and low pressure, I wouldn't reccommend the BFG's.   The have a hard time staying on the rim's at low pressure.

I'm sure the bead has something to do with driving style.  I have never had a problem with my BFG 33's in Moab running as low as 8 psi (I usually shoot for 10 psi).  I ran them closer to 5 psi when snow wheeling with gotrocks and one of the rears was leaking a bit.

Personally I have not had problems with the sidewall, but I know people that have poked holes. 

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2006, 05:41:11 PM »
I got two bfg 35 sidewalls and two 37 mtr's.

I mount my tires myself, and would say the bfg's have a poor(loose) mold.  The bead pops on under 10 psi and every other tire I've tried is over 20.  Heard the same thing taking to the tire shops.  Have few friend run the bfg's, and they are scared to go below 8.  My mtr's stuck like glue at 1.5 psi. 

As far as the Toyo's,  mileage reports seem less than the bfg's.

It would be nice if there was more real evidence than word of mouth.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
the toyos wear really nice from what I can tell so far.  My 37's on my Toyota have a few thousand miles on them so far and I don't' think I've even worn off more than 1/8"  I'll gauge them to let you know but they seem to be doing very well.

The 37's on my Ford still look brand new and they have around 4-5000 I think and I can't even tell they they are really wearing except for a little rounding of the lugs.  When I mean little I mean barely any

prang11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Team White Truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »
My little bro just put the Toyos on his truck and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They look great and are not to loud on the road.
85 Toyota Pickup, with a sweet hurst shifter!

22R, 33s, 5.29, locked rear, 3" wider, slow.