Author Topic: Toyo Open Country A/T vs Revo  (Read 7293 times)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Toyo Open Country A/T vs Revo
« on: Sep 02, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »
Looking for differences between these tires... They both get good reviews -- has anyone owned both, preferably on the same vehicle? I'd like to know how they compare... mostly highway, year-round use including wet and dry cornering, some dirt/gravel and snow (usually wet) and anything else you can comment on. These will eventually replace the OEM BFG Rugged Trails on our '05 Tacoma. I have Revos (on the ZJ) so I'm familiar with them -- curious how Toyos stack up.

Ack!  Just edited the title, asking about Toyo A/T...   :ack:
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2007, 08:51:11 AM by Stocker »
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Toyo Open Country vs Revo
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2007, 08:01:49 AM »
toyos are good.... the revos are a good tire for street use, but they leave a lot to be desired offroad....and the revos are $$$$$ i would rather get the firestone destination at or mt, uses the same rubber compound as the revo
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Re: Toyo Open Country vs Revo
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2007, 08:43:26 AM »
i have not ran the revos.  but i have rany the Toyos, they are MT that i would like to run all the time.  when i ran them they were smoth on the street and did awsome off-road. they also lasted a long time
4THEWKN

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Toyo Open Country A/T vs Revo
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2007, 11:06:42 AM »
Let me throw a monkey wrench into the picture.  I think you will be extremely happy with either the Toyo Open Country A/T (Very popular here in Washington from Les Schwab) or the Bridgestone Dueler Revo (My unlce likes the set he had on his 98 4Runner that my dad now ownes), but depending on where you live, and if you have any wet weather like rain or snow, I would suggest considering a set of Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread tires.  They were amazing in the dry and in heavy rain and performed quite well in the snow.  They were NOT good for off highway so if you need that capability then don't consider them.  They do fine for occasional dirt roads as long asyou don't insist on being a baja driver.  Living in Washington I would run them on anything that they have an application for in a passenger car or light truck.

Have you looked at www.tirerack.com for reviews? 

In the All terrain tires you can't go wrong with the BFG!  I think they are the best off road compared to the other two you are considering.  They are a prefered tire in Moab!
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2007, 11:39:13 AM »
I have Toyo Open Country AT’s on my 85 Toyota.

Positives;

Quite
Long wearing tread

Negatives:

One of mine went out of round
Dealing with Les Scab. Why Toyo limits themselves to these idiots I have no idea.

My verdict, buy something else.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
u have BFGs on it now....why not some mud or all terrain BFGs?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
u have BFGs on it now....why not some mud or all terrain BFGs?

He has the bfg a/t on the 72 chevy now, and he's not off-road near enough to require a mud tire.  If he goes off-road in a situation where he needs that kinda traction it'll be in the chevy anyway.

Truck gets mainly dd use.  It rains a fair amount there and occassionally snows a VERY wet snow, turns slushy very quickly.  The stock rugged trails just plowed in the slush :ack:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied so far -- you guys make an old noob feel welcome!

Just to address/clarify a few issues, in no particular order...  Yes, I have researched extensively at Tirerack -- one of my favorites, but they don't have anything on the Toyo A/Ts.  9VLick, there's another shop here (other than Schwab) selling Toyo...  would that change your advice?  Besides the out-of-round tire (replaced under warranty?), how do you like them in wet and/or snowy conditions?

As Nate said, it'll be virtually all on-road with this rig, so an AT will be a better choice than an MT.  I considered BFG A/T, but it only comes in load range D (in my size), and I don't want the penalties of weight, harsher ride, and decreased fuel mileage.  Love 'em on my Chevy, though. I had not considered the Goodyears but will look into them.

And yes, we get a good amount of rain and some wet heavy snow each year, and our roads have lots of hills & corners.  Our house is up a small but steep hill and there have been times I couldn't get up it with chains on a fwd car.  Once I got all crossed up and barely made it in our '95 ZJ (with Michelin LTX A/Ts).  So I'm looking for something that works well wet or dry and won't make me walk home when it snows.

All comments are welcome, keep 'em coming!   :thumbs:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2007, 02:30:16 PM »
I think Toyo is only at Les Schwab on the west coast, or in areas where Les Schwabs are, but are available at other places (not national chains) in different parts of the country.

I recommend Discount Tire and Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread tires for your purposes.  They made I-5 with standing water feel dry at 70 mph, they didn't pull when I hit moderate puddles either.  They rode tight and quiet and include a 50,000 miles tread warranty from Goodyear stores, but Discount didn't seem to have one.  The difference in ride/handling on my Tundra was enough that my wife commented on it first.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »
I recommend Discount Tire and Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread tires for your purposes.
This tire?  They are highly rated, but appear to be directional... since I rotate (rears straight ahead, fronts cross to opposite rear), some would be running backwards...  Might work okay but it seems that would look a bit odd.  Would be alright if they were just rotated front-to-rear on the same side...

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2007, 01:14:02 PM »
This tire?  They are highly rated, but appear to be directional... since I rotate (rears straight ahead, fronts cross to opposite rear), some would be running backwards...  Might work okay but it seems that would look a bit odd.  Would be alright if they were just rotated front-to-rear on the same side...

That's the tire.  They are directional, many quality rain tires are due to the "v" grooves.  As long as they wear well the rotation pattern shouldn't be an issue.  My Camaro tires were directional and wore evenly with front to back rotations only.  I think you would love this tire!  The only downside is the reduced off road performance and you might prefer the off road look comprared to the street truck look that these have.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »
To clarify, you must rotate front to back only but they should wear evenly.  If you turn them around they would wear funny and likely make noise.

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »
That's the tire.  They are directional, many quality rain tires are due to the "v" grooves.  As long as they wear well the rotation pattern shouldn't be an issue.  The only downside is the reduced off road performance and you might prefer the off road look compared to the street truck look that these have.
I appreciate the info and I'm sure they're great in the wet -- but I do prefer side-to-side rotation.  And as you said, a different look for my 4x4. 

I've been reading more reviews (sometimes I think I research too much!) and though most are good for Toyo, Revo, and BFG A/T, there are a few bad ones thrown into the mix -- contradictory reports like slippery in rain or rapid tread wear...  Kinda makes you wonder.

A lot of guys complain long and loud about the Rugged Trails that come on Tacomas.  With 20K miles on mine, I don't think they are bad for most highway use (or light off-road) -- but they are terrible in snow.  And although they are wearing evenly, they won't last too much longer...  Not Goodrich's finest product.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »
I appreciate the info and I'm sure they're great in the wet -- but I do prefer side-to-side rotation.  And as you said, a different look for my 4x4. 

I've been reading more reviews (sometimes I think I research too much!) and though most are good for Toyo, Revo, and BFG A/T, there are a few bad ones thrown into the mix -- contradictory reports like slippery in rain or rapid tread wear...  Kinda makes you wonder.

A lot of guys complain long and loud about the Rugged Trails that come on Tacomas.  With 20K miles on mine, I don't think they are bad for most highway use (or light off-road) -- but they are terrible in snow.  And although they are wearing evenly, they won't last too much longer...  Not Goodrich's finest product.

I think you'll find that on a lot of reviews.  It seems a lot of people don't think about the other aspects of their vehicle before they blame a tire, and their review shows.  Weight distribution, 4wd vs. 2wd, etc.  For some reason, most people seem to ignore this. 

I'm actually going to throw in my vote for the BFG MT.  I've been very happy with mine, and I liked them a lot better than my ATs that I had on my dodge.  The aren't too loud, they look good (IMO)  and they have handled well in my case with snow, mud, ice, rain, and drive pavement.  I've got a little over 35K miles on the truck since I put the tires on, and they just recently passed the halfway mark, treadwise.  I know you said you didn't really want the MTs, but I'd consider them.  I've been real happy with them.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2007, 06:17:35 PM »
the revos and toyos at are good tires, i got to test both on an f350 SD that i borrowed for at least a month.... both very smooth and good in the elements

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »
I run BFG Muds on my 4Runner and I don't think you would like them for your purposes.  I love the tire for a highway/off road rig, but I have seen several sets really wear poorly over the long haul making them a poor choice for a street truck.

If the tread wears evenly, why do you care what the rotation pattern is?  My new Mazda car recommends front to back only and it doesn't have directional tires.  Discount Tire suggested that I do the side to side but that it really didn't matter.  Some people even work the spare into the rotation.

If you're worried about wet/snow handling get the tires at a place that will sipe them and you're golden.  The Triple Treads don't need it because of their design.  When I purchased mine it was the Goodyear or a siped set of Toyo A/Ts.   

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2007, 09:12:01 PM »
If the tread wears evenly, why do you care what the rotation pattern is?
Well, I'm figuring one reason the tread wears evenly is because each tire gets to spend an equal amount of time at each corner of the vehicle.  And I know that my right side tires wear more rapidly than the left sides -- probably my particular driving style, I suppose.  I don't use the spare in my rotation because -- well, I guess I'm too lazy.  The spare can sometimes be a bit of a pita to reach, and I've just never bothered with it. 

Blackdog, I think you have a point about why some people are unhappy with tires that most others love. 
As to MTs, we have run them forever on our fleet of service trucks at work.  They work great off road but I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with them on my Tacoma.  That's excellent life you're getting from MTs, btw!

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2007, 10:09:14 PM »
Les Scabby put a band aid by rotating the out of round tire to the rear and had the balls to tell me it was the Centerline rims my truck had on at the time. So when I switched out my Centerlines for stock IFS alloys and had another shop swap the tires it confirmed what I already knew the tire was out of round.

This is not the only set of Toyos I have had issues with, when it comes to wear, performance and warranty.  I have only driven my truck twice since moving to Chico over a month ago. Rather than deal with the scabs at Les I'm going to get new BFG's  from the Tire Rack. Les Scab fought me tooth and nail on the last set of Toyos by telling me when they wore out at 10k that I got acceptable life out of the the tire. Problem? Toyos warranty said 50k.

It's partly a tire issue, but mostly a retailer problem.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2007, 12:47:30 AM »
We exclusively run les schwabb tires at work, which mostly means we run the toyos, though I can't remember which particular model.  We buy a lot of government vehicles, which come with goodyears, and what I can tell you about both is that they just plain don't wear well!  Doesn't help that they refuse to listen to me when I suggest rotation, but they're probably getting about 15-20,000 miles out of tires they could easily get 30-35,000 miles out of.

You remember the tires hercules/cooper tires on my 4by?  I got over 40,000 miles on them before they finally started going to poop, then several thousand more before the engine blew.  You may remember I had the same tires on the old nissan and was just as happy with them also.  Not only do they wear flat with proper rotation, but they are fairly quiet now (the old ones were louder, very dissappointed with the new "quiet" technology when I got the new ones :down: ) and handle very well in the corners and wet.  And you know I push the 4by on buckhorn like I really shouldn't :_oops: , but it's just so fun to catch up to a *cough* sports car in the twisties and have them pull over for you :haha:

A few years ago my boss and I came up to go salmon fishing, he in his tacoma and me in the first gen.  He was back and forth in the other lane, sliding around and commented to his then girlfriend how he was all over the road trying to outrun me and I stayed inside the lines :gap:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:44:45 AM »
Well, I'm figuring one reason the tread wears evenly is because each tire gets to spend an equal amount of time at each corner of the vehicle.  And I know that my right side tires wear more rapidly than the left sides -- probably my particular driving style, I suppose. 

Road crown, and/or the fact that it feels more comfortable being on the inboard side of a hard corner than hung out against oncoming traffic...

Thought for a minute you were suggesting Open Country M/Ts, which the boss says are definate no-go in the wet (ironic, isn't it?) but if it's A/T I can't comment.

I'll see what we have available to us at work, too.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:52:08 AM »
we brought up that tires wear more on the right... im thinking this may also have something to do with most freeway onramps and offramps bank to the right

~ John F. Kennedy ~

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »
Yes, but when you take those corners, you're taking right turns, making the left tires handle the bulk of the cornering force...I'm sticking with road crown   :dunno:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:35:52 AM »
we brought up that tires wear more on the right... im thinking this may also have something to do with most freeway onramps and offramps bank to the right

Trust me jim, that's not even the slightest issue in trinity county :haha:

Think deliverance...
RIP KYOTA

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »
Yeah, good point.  No on-ramps, no off-ramps, no freeways at all, no traffic lights, no uhh...no lots of stuff!

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
it feels more comfortable being on the inboard side of a hard corner than hung out against oncoming traffic...
I think this has a lot to do with it...  and of course with an open rear diff, the right rear will wear more rapidly than the left rear.

And hey Nate, watch those comparisons to Deliverance!  Gotta include yourself too, y'know...   :spankbutt:   :gap:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 05, 2007, 12:05:19 AM »
And hey Nate, watch those comparisons to Deliverance!  Gotta include yourself too, y'know...   :spankbutt:   :gap:

Well, I do seem to spend a lot of time in remote wilderness areas...

RIP KYOTA