Author Topic: REAL TIME HELP - Snapped bolt head on tranny stiffing plate  (Read 2426 times)

Ranski

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Nov '05
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
    • View Profile
There are two bolts holding the stiffing plate to the engine block.  I snapped the head off one of them.  Can I get by with one?  I'm thinking the bell housing bolts and bell housing will hold the plate in place once everything is all back together.

OR should I drill the bolt out and put in new. I was really wanting to finish the tranny swap tonight.

w56 to 22re
Randy
85' 4Runner w/ lots o' Marlin stuff (and I got the stickers to prove it)

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
You should be able to get away with out it, but it is much stronger with them in there.
If the threads are not tight you should be able to get it out without too much work.

Drill and easy out or weld thru a nut and back it out after it cools.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Ranski [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Nov '05
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
    • View Profile
It appears that with the one good bolt in combination wiht tranny mounting alignment pin, the plate is locked in position and won't shift to where the plate rubs on the crankshaft...which is my main concern. The only thing that might bite me in the butt at a later date is the plate rattling.  But I appears once the tranny is in place it should be OK.

The bolt broke below flush on the engine block so I can't weld a bolt on which would require me to drill and easy out.

Wish me luck and thanks for the quick response
Randy
85' 4Runner w/ lots o' Marlin stuff (and I got the stickers to prove it)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
on a 22R  i wouldnt worry about it
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
it will be fine without it, if it really bothers you though, the drill and easy out would probably work
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
You can also try getting a couple reverse rotation drill bits.  Run it slow and it may catch the broken bolt and pull it back out.  You'd be surprised how well this works sometimes.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Im with nate try to use a drill and some reverse rotation bits. just take your time.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
My 22re only had one bolt anyway.  That's how it was from the factory I guess.  I have no rattles or anything.  BTW I've never had an easy out work for me.  I've tried various bolt extractors and I always end up breaking the damn thing off in the hole.
Welders Hold the World Together!

sephy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I have a mixed opinion about those reverse rotation drill bits.  There've been occasions where they have worked for me and others where they have broken quite easily -- even while taking my time.

Usually what has worked best for me is to slowly drill a hole into the broken bolt then manage to make myself a slot to insert a tool and back it out that way.  Once it is out enough I just grab it with a pair of vise-grips and back that sucker out.