Author Topic: why do i keep blowing axle seals?  (Read 5925 times)

dentedfender

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 85
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Jeep eater
    • View Profile
why do i keep blowing axle seals?
« on: Sep 21, 2006, 05:12:27 PM »
I keep on blowing the inner axle seals on my 85 4runner, which allows 90 weight to leak into my knuckles and even goes all the way to the hubs.  I replaced the vent tube so i know thats not the problem, but I'm wondering if the 3 inch wheel spacers I'm running up front might have anything to do with it? any help would be great thanks.  :beer:
85 4runner rears up front f-150s out back dual 2.28 cases 22re, rear discs, 5.29s, locked f/r, 38s....... list goes on and on

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: why do i keep blowing axle seals?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »
Is there a chance that the housing is bent, not allowing them to properly seat?  Are there any burs on the axle that are cutting the seal?  You have 3" overall width, or each side is a 3" spacer?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2006, 05:34:42 PM »
It usually means the housing is bent or you are to rough on the install. The most common spot to bend on the housing is right afther the bell for the birfield.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »
its a toyota axle.. they leak there its a pisspoor design.  you get lucky if you can get one to last 15 mins..  alot of the weight of the axle rides on that seal  so it distroys it.  bent housing or not they will leak.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2006, 07:31:26 PM »
its a toyota axle.. they leak there its a pisspoor design.  you get lucky if you can get one to last 15 mins..  alot of the weight of the axle rides on that seal  so it distroys it.  bent housing or not they will leak

This is coming from someone running a D44 and 10 bolt???   :rofl2:

I'm just joking!! I'm sorry I just couldn't resist.

I'd guess your housing is bent or your not properly installing the seal, I had troubles with mine leaking alot as well and I eventually got it right (I guess?!)  because it stopped leaking... I ended up selling the axles about 2 months later... lol..

Whats the rest of the axle look like?  any play in the axle shafts?  everything tight?
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2006, 07:37:55 PM »
i used to run yotas ;)  and i run a 10bolt and a 14bolt !! :P  no dana spicer crap  LOL
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

dentedfender [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Jeep eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:29:30 PM »
I couldn't see how my axle is bent, I dont drive my truck hard and have never gotten pulled out from the axle.  So im thinking the axle is straight. Everything seems tight no wobble in the drive shaft from side to side or anything.  It is 3 inch ws each side, axles are smooth with no burs.  Ive been rough installing a seal b4 and know that it will warp the actual rubber if not installed right.  I last had the axle apart at the start of the summer and put new seals in (installed good) because my right side seal was blown.  Ive never had a problem with the drivers side seal until now.  I tore apart the axle because of several things, 1). i started getting a wicked death wobble in the front end around 30-40 mph at any other speed it would drive fine.  2). I noticed the drivers side knuckle was spewing out 90 weight grease. and because im going to put a aussie in the front.  I have the passengers side torn apart right now and the wheel bearings lost most of there grease, im thinking its cause of the 90 weight.  Which would cause the bearing to not roll smoothly allowing the death wobble? or could it be because i have a bad case of positive camber on the front axle? this one has got me stumped good.
85 4runner rears up front f-150s out back dual 2.28 cases 22re, rear discs, 5.29s, locked f/r, 38s....... list goes on and on

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:29:37 PM »
im going to say the knuckle shims  arent evenly spaced  top and bottom

ive been running mine for months  with no leaks
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:39:04 PM »
are you sure those cone bearings in the knuckles aren't shot?

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

AlaskaToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • Alien Containment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2006, 03:45:02 AM »
im going to say the knuckle shims  arent evenly spaced  top and bottom

ive been running mine for months  with no leaks

Finally!  Thanks for posting the most likely reason aside from the bent housing suggestion.

The shims do two things:  1) they set the bearing preload  and 2) they vertically center the axle shaft in the housing & inner seal.
1-ton Toy

dentedfender [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Jeep eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:00:47 AM »
That sounds like a possibilty for the leaking, do you guys have any ideas about the death wobble?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:57:30 AM »
tires  are probably the cause of that, 

and  someof it could also  be  the  shims not  properly set up
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

dentedfender [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Jeep eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »
thats what i thought at first cuz it did it with my 35s, then i put on my 38s and it did the exact same thing. so im at a loss for that.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »
replace the seals  and then  make  sure  your  knuckle shims are correctly  spaced  top and bottom,  the outer knuckle must be  shimmed so it is dead center of the inner axle,  otherwise  the seal will not  stay

Jeffe 81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2006, 08:37:24 AM »
What about your brass axle bushings?  I can't remember where online I read about them, but if they are worn your knuckles will leak oil.  Marlin sells them for $29 (look in the axle products).  Hope this helps. :beerchug:
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2006, 09:06:05 AM »
Also be careful not to over-fill your front axle with 90 weight. Lube shops are notorious for pumping it in fast until it starts flowing out, then jamming the plug back in. Those little seals can't take that much fluid.
I was usually running pretty slow in 4wd, so I always ran my front end a little low on fluid. If I could stick my pinky in and down and touch the fluid that was plenty. After that I stoped having the premature leaking problems and never had a lubrication problem. (yikes, I feel like I should go on Jerry Springer after that sentance)