Author Topic: ** '03 PreRunner --> 4x4 SAS! **  (Read 56597 times)

Revivalist

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
Re: ** '03 PreRunner --> 4x4 SAS! **
« Reply #90 on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:19:30 PM »
Well we had a great time yesterday up on Bald Mountain. At first it came down a little hard. I didn’t really wanna get out in the blizzard to air down but there was no choice once we got stuck in a deep mud hole . . .

We still had to use the winch to get out of that mud hole. . . Other than that the weather cleared up and it was pretty easy wheelin. . . . Only had a few tough spots . . . .

Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Feb 12, 2007, 12:24:33 AM »
It looks great and it looks like you had a great time!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:27:18 AM »
Thanks! . . .

The airbumps are actually going in the front. That's where the truck is coming down real hard on certain obstacles. . . . In the back I'm just gonna put those big 4.5" polyurethane bumpstops to avoid buttoming out the shocks or reversing the springs. . . .

As for fitting in the garage, I still barely fit right now. (I've actually put quite a few scratches on the roof, but that's ok.) . . . . After the body lift is removed, it should fit perfect. . . .

i went  to  betts  spring  in fresno  and they gave me  five  spring center bolts  ...the price of them was  1.50 a piece,,go in there  with a 50..00  and they wont charge you  lol,,,,awsome  truck

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Feb 12, 2007, 05:27:01 PM »
Said it once, and I'll say it again. That taco is BAD ASS   :biggthumpup:

Gets me all excited just lookin at the pics.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Max Heintz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 126
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Feb 12, 2007, 07:40:27 PM »
sweet truck

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »
very very nice.  I love the air bumps too.  How did it perform in the snow.

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:04:38 AM »
I thought it did great in the snow. I really liked the way the airbumps softened up those small drops that are all throughout the trail. . . . . The tires also seemed to hold well at about 5PSI.
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:23:56 AM »
how fast did you were you going.  I'd love to get some air bumps and wondered how well they perform.  I now they're better than regular bumpstops

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #98 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »
Very nice buildup!  I love the double cab Tacoma's as well. 
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:03:13 PM »
how fast did you were you going.  I'd love to get some air bumps and wondered how well they perform.  I now they're better than regular bumpstops
I think the fastest I usually go is about 25-30MPH. . . . But I didn't really get them so I can do fast desert prerunning sort of stuff. . . . It was more because the front end of my truck is really heavy (V6, ARB bumper, winch), so I found that it was coming down real hard on stuff that isn't that steep, like little drops along the trail or with icy hill climbs that need a lot of throttle. . . . Now I have a lot more freedom to just gun it when needed.  :greengrin:

KToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Feb 27, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »
very nice build... i bet you have so much time and money into this thing.  makes me think of my truck i just sold and i hope my new rig comes out as clean as yours did.
95 T100 in the build process

Austin W

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Feb 27, 2007, 06:30:06 PM »
Damn i alwaws like waching a build where somebody has put a lot of time and money into their truck, good job!

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Mar 02, 2007, 01:25:45 AM »
Yeah, I consider it sort of a long-term investment. . . . I'd rather build a rig exactly how I like it and enjoy wheeling it for the years to come rather than to find myself always wishing I did it different/better. . . .

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:27:14 AM »
I love it.  That thing has some awsome flex.  It is nice to see that u use a rig that is that nice.  Most of the time people lift something that new and just use at as a mall runner.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #104 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:48:37 AM »
wow   just wow
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2007, 02:06:44 PM »
Hey guys . . . I'm trying to figure out what to do for a rear trac bar. So I figured I'd just bring up my old thread in case anyone wants to offer a suggestion based on my application (see the first post for current rig) . . .

Here's a few choices I was thinking about. Please post up if you have any experience or comments on these. Thanks!

1. Budbuilt: $425
www.budbuilt.com/new/traction_bars.html

2. Blue Devil Products: $285 (+ $115 or $195 for crossmember)
www.bluedevilproducts.com/Standard%20Products/Traction%20Control/Traction%20Control,%20L3%20Selections.htm

3. Custom built trac-bar by Rocky at Marlin Crawler
This would probably be the best quality with the best parts, but of course that wouldn't be as cheap as the choices above.

----------------

I'm also thinking about having a rear pinion skid plate built. Something that looks like this . . .

(Image thanks to Chris "hytenor" from TTORA.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:58:45 PM by Revivalist »

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »
crawlerdan has a budbuilt for sale.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
crawlerdan has a budbuilt for sale.
Thanks for the heads up. . . . I just gotta decide if that's the way I wanna go. . . . I'm hoping to get some input first on other people's experience with either the Budbuilt or the Blue Devil, or if there is something ever better. . . .

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
I don't have any personal experience with the track bars, it seems that most people here tend to make them themselves :dunno:

From the pictures, it would appear to me that Budbilts is a beefier product, especially at the axle end, where it mounts :dunno:

As for the pinion protector, I wouldn't bother.  Those housing around the third are pretty beefy, they'll take quite a bit before they start to leak.  The thirds themselves are also pretty beefy.  I think you'd be unhappy with the lose of ground clearance anyway.  Just my :twocents:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »
i would look into dr. smash's set up built in skid i will find his site asap.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Jul 13, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »
Well, someone offered me a good price on my tires and wheels so I sold them and picked up a set of 40” Iroks. With the move up in tire size I decided to change to a 17” rim and have them beadlocked. . . .

There’s a local place here in Fresno called Beadlock Specialties that does great work. The owner Clint was very helpful. I went down there and watched them being made. Mounting them was easier than I thought. I couldn’t find a place that would balance them so I bought some of that powder stuff that big rigs use and put that in the tire. I guess it’s supposed to help balance the tire by staying at the part of the tire that weighs the least. . . .

Anyhow, here’s how the truck looks in my driveway now. . .

I like the protection that the thick rock rings give. They basicaly leave just enough room to get a socket in there for the lugs . . .

I pulled out the old ramp to see what clearance issues I might have . . .

In the rear, it looks like I just need to clearance the fender flare a little bit and trim the wrap-around on the rear bumper. It will probably need to be cut shorter and plated again . . .

Next, I flexed the rear . . .

On full compression in the front, it looks like all I have to do is trim the ARB bumper a little more. There’s also a little bracket comming down that needs to be cut off. (I think it’s the mount for the stock bumper.) That thing looks like it could pop the tire if I hit it hard enough! . . .

Over all, I could definitely feel the benefit of the bigger tires already. My truck felt much more stable on the ramp. In fact, I think that ramp is too small now. . . . I can’t wait to see what these things can do on the trail! . . .

This weekend hopefully the trac-bar should be in. . . Then I'll feel a little more comfortable about running these tires hopefully without blowing up a 3rd. . .
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 07:12:18 PM by Revivalist »

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #111 on: Jul 13, 2007, 05:20:36 PM »
looking good
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Jul 14, 2007, 10:41:13 PM »
 :bowdown:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Jul 14, 2007, 11:57:29 PM »
Your taco is looking sick!!! Do you DD this thing or is it just a trail rig?? Those iroks and beadlocks sure give it a new attitude.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Jul 15, 2007, 01:34:08 AM »
It's kind of a part-time driver. I have a little Celica that I use as much as possible for better gas mileage. I use the truck whenever I need to haul stuff, go wheelin, and whenever the Celica is in the shop.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Jul 15, 2007, 01:38:23 AM »
thats a sweet taco!
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
Most of the time people lift something that new and just use at as a mall runner.

I lifted something old and it is going to be like a mall-crawler...heehee

Looks great!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

bucketofbolts

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since May '07
  • '88 4runner 3'' body lift 33's sas soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »
your spare tire makes your truck look tiny :thumbs:
Support your local high school student

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Jan 09, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »
Cool truck!!   Dont see alot of those newer yotes on here!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »
Well, I finally got around to getting the traction bar done . . . . Rocky (from Marlin Crawler) did a great job building it for me. . . . Very beefy tubing, a shackle at the front, and a huge johnny joint . . .  Here’s some pics . . .

The rear bracket is nice and close to the 3rd member to avoid limiting articulation . (However, I hear that the heim only allows about 15 degrees of rotation each way. I have yet to check how it flexes now.)

The profile shot shows that the shackle ended up a little lower than the driveline at the front, but I think that’s ok since it can help protect the driveline if I get high-centered . . .

Rocky put some extra tubing from the frame to the stock cross-member supporting the shackle. It didn’t seem worth cutting out that whole stock cross member and making a totally new one. I think this solution should hold up fine . . .