Author Topic: ** '03 PreRunner --> 4x4 SAS! **  (Read 56601 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: ** '03 PreRunner --> 4x4 SAS! **
« Reply #60 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:30:51 PM »
looks sweet... can you get some more pics of that rear bumper.. i want to build something similar to that for my runner
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

rocktoy83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Male Posts: 505
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:34:08 PM »
Sweet pics  :thumbs: the taco is looking bad  :moon:  :bowdown:

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:38:42 PM »
Thanks guys. . . .

Yeah, I'll take some more pics when I have a chance. Right now it's in the shop gettin smogged. It turned out that it had a few bad sensors. . . .
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec 02, 2006, 08:02:59 PM »
Wow that thing is incredably awesome. Huge change that is incredably awesome. Good job. Im also very jealous because that is the exact rig that i want! So jealous actually.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Dec 02, 2006, 08:21:31 PM »
You mean cuz it's a d-cab? . . . . Yeah, I like to have the extra space to bring along friends, family, or anyone who doesn't have a seat on a trail run. . .

Hey, by the way, I think that you're the one that I brought an axle housing up to Sacramento for. . . . Did you still need that? It's sitting in AJ's shop and he's wondering what he's supposed to do with it. . . .
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec 02, 2006, 11:17:47 PM »
Excellent build-up Sir. Very clean and extremely functional.

My hat's off to you.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:53:54 PM »
sweet
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2007, 02:03:37 PM »
Well I got the new heavy duty Trail Gear springs on so I thought I would have fun ramping my truck. (AJ from bentup.com was kind enough to make the ramp so I could do some flexin at home . . . )

I was looking to do three things . . .

1. Check if I need to put bumpstops to protect the steering from hitting the leaf springs or oil pan. . . .

2. See how close the tires are to rubbing so I predict what will happen if I drop the 2” body lift . . .

3. Just have fun seeing my truck flexin’ in front of my house! :D

Ok, so here it goes . . .

Flexing the front. . . .

I got about 33” from the ground to the bottom of the tire. The rear still didn’t lift yet. It would be nice to have a longer ramp to stop right when it does lift. . . . But I had the truck on a fork lift last week and I know the rear starts to lift at about 36”. . . .

I was happy to see that nothing was hitting even without bumpstops. . . .

The tie-rod and drag link are still a good 1-2” from hitting the springs. . . .  And it looks like the front shock was getting close to full compression anyways. So if I were to go a little further I still don’t think anything would hit . . .

It looks like the rear springs are fully flattened in this position. But at least the shock is fully compressed before they start really reversing. . . .

As for the tires getting close to rubbing, here’s the front . . . .

It’s obvious that if I drop the body lift, then I’m gonna have to either chop at that splash guard or remove it . . . . The ARB bumper is also probably gonna have to be trimmed cuz it’s already pretty close. . .

And now to flex the rear. . .

Again, it looks like nothing is hitting . . .

So it seems to me at this point that bumpstops are optional because I don’t think I’m likely to hit the steering on the springs. Maybe it would be a good idea to put the little Trail Gear bumpstops back on just in case the truck comes down hard off a drop and flexes further than what I can achieve on a static ramp . . .

As for dropping the body lift, I definitely want to do it to lower the cog and gain more stability. But there’s obviously gonna have to be a lot of cutting to clear the tires. . . .

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:21:59 PM »
 :psss: so.......what did the neighbors have to say?

Looks great! Yes, bumpstops would be good! The springs look like they actually went negative in this pic.....
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

hammerdown

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Country Boy Can Survive
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:58:42 PM »
one nice rig :clap2:
Country Boy Can Survive

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:38:56 PM »
My neighbors think I'm crazy.  :hammerhead: . . . But one of them was nice enough to actually spot me as I was climbing the ramp . . .

Yeah, I'll be putting the bumpstops back on before I go wheelin tomorrow. . . . .
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2007, 12:53:19 AM by Revivalist »

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
were did you get your rear bumper? looks SWEET :beerchug:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Your truck is my dream rig.  I'm actually looking for one right now.  But I don't think I have enough money for it quite yet. 

Just  word of advise.  I know you said you would be putting bump stops on probaby before tomorrow.  I highly recommend it.  I actually toasted 2 sets of springs and I think it was because I didn't have bump stops.  Its worth it and even though you might loose a little bit in uptravel its worth the expense it will save you later.  Besides you don't exactly have a bunch of room with your tires against your firewall.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:41:13 AM »
Excellent.

I love the double cabin.
mrkupfer@gmail.com

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
Thanks guys . . . I appreciate the advise. I'll put those bumpstops on tonight . . . It's definitely a pain to keep swapping springs, especially because I don't have a lift at home to do it . . . It's kinda scary to do it with a hi-lift jack.   :shake:

were did you get your rear bumper? looks SWEET :beerchug:
AJ from bentup.com did the rear bumper.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2007, 01:19:11 AM by Revivalist »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Jan 13, 2007, 01:02:48 AM »
It's kinda scary to do it with a hi-lift jack.   :shake:

I know the feeling and it is scary!
mrkupfer@gmail.com

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Jan 13, 2007, 01:34:04 AM »
Nice build up man. Beautiful taco. Good choice on that ARB bumper. I knew a kid in high school that rear ended someone in his tacoma going 45 mph. He had an ARB bumper just like yours and it totaled the car he hit and screwed up his front end...but the ARB was barely scratched. a few years later he sold it a friend of mine who still runs it to this day. sturdy bumpers is right. the bumper is still straight too. :thumbs:  happy trails 
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #77 on: Jan 13, 2007, 04:11:34 AM »
I would love to do that to my tundra. But Im broke so Ill have to stick to the ifs for a few more years.

"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Jan 13, 2007, 05:20:06 AM »
Yup, I love the ARB bumper. It sure is heavy, but I haven't seen any other that is as strong or cool looking . . . At least in my opinion.  :gap: . . .

A Tundra buildup. That would be sweet! . . . I was actually just thinking about that yesterday when I saw a Tundra going down the street. I already saw videos of a Nissan Titan build up, so I thought, why not a Tundra? . . . I think you'll have quite an audience when you get around to doing the build . . .

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Jan 13, 2007, 05:09:14 PM »
I believe there was a guy on Pirate who SAS a Tundra. Can every one else see the Wheelin trip pic's? All I see is red X's for those one's and I would love to see those pic's.

Kevin

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Jan 14, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
I believe there was a guy on Pirate who SAS a Tundra. Can every one else see the Wheelin trip pic's? All I see is red X's for those one's and I would love to see those pic's.

Kevin

Hey, I cant see the wheelin' pics either. I couldnt find the thread on that SAS tundra but I found a pic i saved of it a while back. badass rig, thats for sure.

85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »
I met the owner of that tundra last summer. He was a verry frendly fella and the Tundra is :bling: :bling: nice.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »
Can every one else see the Wheelin trip pic's? All I see is red X's for those one's and I would love to see those pic's.
Sorry about that. I reorganized my photobucket album and broke the links. But the pics should be back up now . . .

If you want to see the video, check it out here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrpqxDhzUHQ

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Jan 28, 2007, 03:07:47 AM »
Very cool video...the monster truck breaking the floor is a good one too!

Haha....
mrkupfer@gmail.com

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:24:47 AM »
Very cool video...the monster truck breaking the floor is a good one too!

Haha....
Huh?  ???

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:25:40 AM »
Just thought I'd post some updates as I (hopefully) approach the last fine-tuning of this build . . .

1. Airbumps are getting installed at Marlin's. They'll looks something like this . . .

(I put a bumpstop on the axle to show where the strike plate is gonna be.)

2. Firewall is getting tubbed and plated.

3. Body lift is getting dropped this weekend. It's gonna be quite a job, but I think I'll be much happier with the lower ride height, less body roll, etc . . . Here's what it's gonna take . . .

• Refab rear bumper mounts
• Refab front ARB bumper mounts
• Cut the edges of the ARB bumper to clearance the wheels
• Cut under front fenders to clearance shock hoops (if needed)
• Shorten steering shaft
• Lower t-cases
• Shorten rear drive shaft
• Refab t-case crossmember
• Adjust tranny linkage
• Refab rear shocks crossmember (it's sitting ON the frame rails so it needs to be lowered between them)
• Clear wires between body & frame (speedo sensor, brake line, brake lights, etc.)
• Notch the body for the sliders

Lastly, I'm thinking about adding a leaf in the back cuz it's kind of sagging back there. It's about 1" lower than the front. When it's loaded for the trail, the back sits almost 3" lower. . . . I currently have front 5" leaf packs that I don't need. So I'm wondering if maybe I could just pull a leaf from them and put them in the back. Is that possible? . . . And would I need a new center pin? . . . Thanks for any input.

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:15:15 AM »
 awesome, awesome truck!!! Good choice on the rear bump stops. I want a pair of fox's for my truck someday. and if u still have problems getting the truck in the garage, U can always put the incab deflating/inflating kit on it. Like the hummers do, and I think there pretty reasonable $$$, compared to most of this truck.
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:49:07 AM »
Thanks! . . .

The airbumps are actually going in the front. That's where the truck is coming down real hard on certain obstacles. . . . In the back I'm just gonna put those big 4.5" polyurethane bumpstops to avoid buttoming out the shocks or reversing the springs. . . .

As for fitting in the garage, I still barely fit right now. (I've actually put quite a few scratches on the roof, but that's ok.) . . . . After the body lift is removed, it should fit perfect. . . .

Revivalist [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:11:39 PM »
Well I got the truck back from Marlin’s last night. . . . Rocky did an awesome job installing those air bumps. He welded some nice pedestals on the axle for strike plates. And he mounted the can low so I can have the airbumps engage right away or if I want I can just slide the airbump upward for more free travel. . . . . Here’s some pics. . .

I like the little gussest on the can too . . .

Evidently Marlin took a look under my truck and noticed that the speedo sensor was about to burn. Somehow it got routed over the exhaust heat shield. So he swapped it out for free! . . . He wouldn’t even let me pay for it. . . . . Man, he’s gotta be one of the nicest guys I know. . . . He said the speedo sensor he put in is a new part he's carrying now that uses pwm rather than the old mechanical ones. Here’s what it looks like . . .

We’re gonna hold off on tubbing the firewall until I drop the body lift. That way we only cut what is necessary. . . .

As for the add-a-leaf, I think using a leaf out of the old front packs should work. The old pack still seems to have a nice arch. . . .

I’m thinking I’ll take out the third leaf down. . . .  It’s about 19” from the center pin to the front, and 23” from the pin to the rear. . . .

Looking at the rear leaf pack on my truck, the third leaf is 21” from the center pin to the front. The leaf just below it is 18”. So if I put the add-a-leaf between those, it will end just about where my finger is . . . .

In the back, the third leaf down is 23” from the center pin to the rear. So the add-a-leaf will just end at the same place. . . .

It looks like I can still use the same U-bolts since the height of the bolts above the nuts is greater than the thickness of an extra leaf. . . . So does that seem like something that will work? . . . .

The only thing I need is a longer center pin. . . . Can I find that at a local Napa or something? . . .

havik

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 737
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #89 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »
yes i agree marlin crawler is great. i have a hard time understanding why people still go with T.G :thumbdown:
allpro is good to but they have become to huge and pricey. i bought their springs about a year ago. i wish i had went with marlin
good customer service is priceless.
and marlin is unreal nice :thumbs: :thumbs:
got another 85 runner. build coming soon!!