Author Topic: Jose Basin this Sunday Morning (Aug 27th) :: VIDEOS POSTED!  (Read 13131 times)

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Jose Basin this Sunday Morning (Aug 27th)
« Reply #30 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »
u might need some bigger tires on the miata there bud :yupyup:

Like these

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »
When you see that your clieometer is pegged at 35 degrees for the 2nd time of the day and you have no oil pressure, yeah. :sheerterror: :greengrin: :thumbs:

We didn't get any pics of me climbing this face, I only got the one of my tilt meter below, but here is Bevin getting some sloppy seconds. :cool: That was pretty darn steep
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2006, 07:14:07 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »
Those huge stickers are sweet, I would put one of those on my hood or maybe even my motorhome..
They are pretty sweet. 27" :turtle: Stickers. They look great of White, Black, Red, Yellow, or Green Trucks. But my rig is not only blue but it's dual tone, so I dont think it would go well.

It was a LOT of fun and I definately want to return. We only spent about half a day there, and to be honest, where we were at, there wasn't much else to do. If you go there I recommend taking your time and trying out as many differnet lines as you can because the trail is just a bunch of fire roads inbetween.

There must be many other areas there, but this trail made a really huge loop and returned us back to where we started from. Next time I will drive around the fireroads in search for more rock piles :thumbs:

Later
BigMike
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2006, 12:16:33 AM by BigMike »

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »
Great pics Mike.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:13:23 PM »
Like these
haha ya! u might have a chance now (if u dont get laughed off the trail) :rofl:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #35 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:17:10 PM »
Those huge stickers are sweet, I would put one of those on my hood or maybe even my motorhome..

I put one on my spare tire cover on my old Dodge van, took up most of the entire cover. I sold the van to a friend who has a 4runner and a truck with ultimates.

Those are some nice shots Mike, I remember the days when I lived only minutes to several trails in Big Bear made wheelin more fun to drive out the house and hit the trails. I now live close to Santiago Canyon but sadly they closed it due to a stupid little frog.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 27, 2006, 07:19:30 PM »
haha ya! u might have a chance now (if u dont get laughed off the trail) :rofl:

Chris G. would get laughed off of the trail.

megolfer

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 438
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:50:46 PM »
Cool pics.  I need to get up there and check it out.  Its the first I have heard of it.

reaceracer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 27, 2006, 11:08:06 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a blast! Kyle said you might be joining us at Overland next memorial day.  :thumbs:  Well see ya, Reace

Tat2drew

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 29, 2006, 06:20:21 PM »
Big Mike,

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the waterfall you have video and pics of in Jose Basin is a closed route yearound with the exception of the Overland trails Poker run in the spring. For the run, the club Hang m High has to obtain a special use permit to run this section of trail due to its sensitive nature. Part of that permit states that both the entrance and exit to the waterfall must be blocked, and any damage the area sustained from their event must be repaired. I'm sure that Hang m High will not be to happy to hear that that section of trail has been opened back up, the area at the base of the falls has been disturbed, and that pictures and a map of how to get there have been posted. This has come to the attention of USFS and you may be contacted. The Hang m High club will also be made aware of this so they can fix any damage and block the access points.

If anyone else is planning on running trail in Jose Basin be aware that the waterfall is closed. All people found using this route are in violation and will receive a violation notice.

Thanks...
"I'll keep my bible, guns, and freedom..you can keep your change"

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 29, 2006, 07:36:05 PM »
BigMike, you are soo BUSTED!!  :_oops2: 

Just remember the next time you answer your front door, it might not be Publishers Clearing House with that big check!

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

rick80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:00:03 PM »
your almost as bad as some idiots[that shall remain unnamed] for posting evidence against you

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Aug 30, 2006, 12:26:47 AM »
Big Mike,

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the waterfall you have video and pics of in Jose Basin is a closed route yearound with the exception of the Overland trails Poker run in the spring. For the run, the club Hang m High has to obtain a special use permit to run this section of trail due to its sensitive nature. Part of that permit states that both the entrance and exit to the waterfall must be blocked, and any damage the area sustained from their event must be repaired. I'm sure that Hang m High will not be to happy to hear that that section of trail has been opened back up, the area at the base of the falls has been disturbed, and that pictures and a map of how to get there have been posted. This has come to the attention of USFS and you may be contacted. The Hang m High club will also be made aware of this so they can fix any damage and block the access points.

If anyone else is planning on running trail in Jose Basin be aware that the waterfall is closed. All people found using this route are in violation and will receive a violation notice.

Thanks...

Tat2drew,

Thankyou for the information regarding the Jose Basin trail. I have removed my pictures and info regarding that area that is presumably off-limits. I saw no posted signs, logs, stacked rocks or tape indicating it being off limits. We stayed on all well used roads and there was a fork in the road which lead to the top of the waterfall. I was unaware of it being off-limits and again I appriciate the heads up on it.

I have searched on google and have found their contact info. I am more than happy to contact their president tomorrow and inform him of our actions.

We plan on going back up there in Sept, so I will also ask about any other areas that are unknown off limits to the public, as I have searched their site and I could not find any information about off limit areas on the Jose Basin trail.

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2006, 01:43:36 AM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:21:22 AM »
Ok guys, I got the videos up :greengrin: Click on each image to play the video. Each video is actually two videos put together, so 6 clips total.

9.1 Mb. Here we are at the very first rock pile. We wanted to see if we could do it locked only in the front (open in the rear) and we did :disturbed: Bevin gave me great directions so I paid him back with some really really bad ones :rofl: I came up it in 2nd gear (277:1) and Bevin came up it in 1st gear Ultimate (223:1).

4.2 Mb. Here I am working 10 Dollar Rock at 510:1. That rear diff grabber got me good. In the 2nd part of this clip, I didn't realize that my rear locker was disengaged. IDIOT GOSH! I eventually made it up but the Yellow Jackets were getting so bad that Kyle had to stop filming. Next time we're out I'll get a video that is complete :thumbs:

3.6 Mb. And lastly, here is Bevin not even trying on 5 Dollar Rock, and also a small clip of him climbing a pretty steep ledge later in the day. 223:1 Ultimate

Next time we will need to get some more people to join us :thumbs: It would be a fun day in the sun!

BigMike

ps. No trees were ran over or off trail driving was done in the above videos :fakeflip: :therethere:
ps. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if q and r were eliminated.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2006, 01:40:35 AM by BigMike »

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Mike, if you don't keep your hands off your rock rail, they're going to get slapped! :thumbs: Nice vids.

megolfer

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 438
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Big Mike,

Thanks...

So how are we suppose to know what is off limits and what is not.  If it is not blocked off or no signs then I would have ran it.  I could not find any info on the net or on the USFS site.  I plan to run this trail, but not if there are obstacles that are off limits with no signs.  Its kinda parking like parking in a 2 hour zone and coming out and having a ticket on your window and there is no sign saying it is a 2 hour zone.  Mike if you find out more info on this let me know.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Mike, if you don't keep your hands off your rock rail, they're going to get slapped! :thumbs: Nice vids.

hahaha dude, that almost happened to me the first time I ran with no doors on. I scared the crap outta me. So now if I know the rails might come in contact with anything, I will either hold my hand flat to make sure my fingers won't cushion the blow, or just move back into the cab altogether.

Dang, that would suck. "Hey what happened to your fingers?" "Oh, I lost them on the 3rd rock at the little sluice" "What?" :rofl2:

So how are we suppose to know what is off limits and what is not.  If it is not blocked off or no signs then I would have ran it.  I could not find any info on the net or on the USFS site.  I plan to run this trail, but not if there are obstacles that are off limits with no signs.  Its kinda parking like parking in a 2 hour zone and coming out and having a ticket on your window and there is no sign saying it is a 2 hour zone.  Mike if you find out more info on this let me know.
Ok, I just called and spoke to Brian Shadrick, who is the president of Hang m High, and he is a really cool guy. He was happy to know that we had a great time and glad to know that people are interested in visiting the trail. He said that any off limits areas should be well marked, but the problem is that the Forest Service wants them to close down the off limit areas as naturally appearing as possible. So they have to find fallen trees and haul them to the site to lay them down to close those certain areas. He did say that they feel the waterfall section does not appear to be properly closed down and off limits, so he said that they were going to go back up there and add more natural affects to both the high side entrance (where we entered, unblocked) and the lowside entrance (well driven trail). Next time I am there I will add some rocks or fallen tree branches to that area to help enforce it's "off-limitness".

Obviously if I see a log in the center of the road and it is pretty perpendicular to the trail, I am NOT going to drive over it. That is there for a reason. So basically, if any area is off limits, then Brian said it will be "well marked with natural affects." I told him that the next time I head up there I will just limit myself to $5 and $10 rocks, but he said "oh no, please go out and explore the area! Drive around as much as you like." So he is pretty confident that if the area is offlimits then we will immediately know about it and avoid it.

Brian was really nice to me and said that he was happy that we were having fun and if it was up to him he would let us drive on any well marked road, but the problem is that that whole Basin is a Historical Dig site!! This I did NOT know. So the Forestry is always on their cases trying to prevent access to certain areas that already contain frequently driven trails. He said that there are some other great places to wheel that have now become off limits to everyone, and that they have to fight every year just to get special permits to run some areas.

Man, I bet 20 years ago we wouldn't have had to put up with this garbage. Unbelievable. Especially when you see the videos I posted and you realize that A MARLIN CRAWLER IS GREAT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. When I am working the phones at the shop, that is one of the selling point of the Marlin Crawler: TREAD LIGHTLY.

Compare me at 510:1 vs. someone at 36:1. Many people ask me how I am able to keep my body straight. I've got two words: Triple Cases.

Tat2drew,
Thanks again for letting me know about Hang m High. I also learned about registration information for their yearly run into Jose Basin every Memorial Day. I am going to register and go run it with Kyle and reaceracer next spring :thumbs:

BigMike
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2006, 09:28:56 AM by BigMike »

Tat2drew

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
The Hang m High club is planning a trip for this Saturday to block access to the off limits water fall. If you would like to join them and help with that and repairing the base of the falls you would be more than welcome.
You can reach the club at: Brian@hangmhigh4x4.com or 367 2293

Mike,

Thanks for editing your post and for contacting Hang m High. The Jose Basin area is a great place to wheel and we want people to have fun in that area without getting in trouble. This area constantly get abused, vandalized, and gets illegal off trail use. Hang m High and the USFS are working together to keep the Jose Basin area open to OHV use by mitigating these issues with hard work on the ground. Sometimes it seems to be a full time job keeping sensitive off limit areas blocked and informational signs posted...
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2006, 09:24:12 AM by Tat2drew »
"I'll keep my bible, guns, and freedom..you can keep your change"

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
I am going to register and go run it with Kyle and reaceracer next spring :thumbs:
BigMike
Why are you volenteering me for trail runs? :talkingn:

reaceracer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wrong Kyle buddy. He is talking about mini-me and our nissans! haha Now as soon as marlin makes a crawler for our truck we can hang with mikey and his truck on $5 and $10  :bowdown: