Author Topic: Center Support Bearing Removal  (Read 1769 times)

thestoic22

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -55
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since May '05
  • Lisa ain't walkin!
    • View Profile
Center Support Bearing Removal
« on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:17:16 AM »
I just wanted to give thanks for Steve at South Bay Driveline for helping me solve a irritating problem that I was having.  After lifting my '84 Extended Cab I was experiencing some "spine tingling" vibrations coming from underneath the truck.  After climbing under the truck, I found that the center support bearing was completely worn out and the rear half of the driveshaft's pinion angle sucked.  Once I discovered this, I weighed the options and found that I could either replace the center support bearing and have the same thing happen down the road, or I could cut it all out and replace it with a one piece shaft.  After doing some looking on the net, I stumbled across this article and it grabbed my attention (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveshaft/).

After reading the entire article a couple of things stuck out.  This shaft was, in essence, a chevy shaft built to fit onto our Toyota trucks.  This shaft was completely ready to go and outfitted with Dana/Spicer u-joints which means they are strong, as well as easy and cheap to replace if needed.  I was sold, so I contacted Steve and all he required was the flange-to-flange measurements in order to get the shaft built.  I provided him with these numbers and he custom built and shipped the shaft the same day.  When I recieved the shaft, it was noticably lighter and beefier, so I put it in and haven't looked back.   :bowdown:

I just thought I would give Steve some "props" since he treated me really well and the price was more than reasonable.  That's just my  :twocents:

And......That's it.....

Rotten

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Chicks Dig Body Damage
    • View Profile
Re: Center Support Bearing Removal
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:25:49 PM »
did you have to modify the flanges?how many $'s ? has anyone else tried a 1 piece rear shaft? or figured out a better center support than factory?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2006, 11:27:33 PM »
did you have to modify the flanges?how many $'s ? has anyone else tried a 1 piece rear shaft? or figured out a better center support than factory?

I had to have a new reart shaft made for my '91 excab, had Driveline Services of Sacramento do it, turned out really well.  I took them my old 2 peice, and they used all the toy stuff and retubed it.  Cost $228, but I think it was well worth it.  They used 3 1/2 tubing, and the cost was mostly material, only $67 for the welding.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2006, 09:34:04 AM »
I did the same thing from the same company, on my Extra cab 84.   I was having a horrible clunk noise and sometimes vibrations.   turns out it was the U-joint in the front that was busted.  I went through the same dilemma and came to the same conclusion.   Called South Bay up gave them my measurements, picked up my one piece drive line the next day and bolted it right in.  Smooth, quite, better response that the stock multi-link stuff.  And I asked him to use the spicer joints.   That was three years ago now with out any problems, never hit it on any rocks either.

Haven't looked back either.   :thumbs:

It was quite a thrill driving over highway 17 on just my front drive line.    :talkingn:
I like to Drive!

thestoic22 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -55
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since May '05
  • Lisa ain't walkin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2006, 07:45:29 AM »
I think that it ended up being about $350 including shipping.  It was well worth the investment because mine was also put together with Spicer joints.  He custom built the shaft with Toyota flanges so it's basically a Chevy driveshaft with Toyota ends.  Not to mention the shaft has about 6" of slip extended and 1.5" of slip compressed.  All I had to do is pony up the $ and bolt it on.  He even shipped it with new longer bolts to use.  I am still driving it and I am still impressed.