Author Topic: TUNDRA!!!!  (Read 12055 times)

dat82toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Member since Aug '05
  • THE ONLY NIGGA U KNOW THAT WALKED BEFOR I CRAWLED
    • View Profile
TUNDRA!!!!
« on: Jul 16, 2006, 06:51:53 PM »
hey thinkin about getin a tundra to tow my toy anyone got one?? how do you like it ? anyone ?
82 yota lots of fun stuff

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: TUNDRA!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »
The Tundra will work fine if you only tow occasionally, and set up your trailer with a WD hitch and good trailer brakes.  Also, keep it out of OD when towing, or you'll burn up the tranny.  An auxillary tranny cooler is your friend.  Keep it below 70 with the trailer on it and you should be ok.  The current and older Tundras with the 4.7 will work hard to move that kind of load though- if you're consider buying a brand new one, maybe wait until the new Tundra comes out in January...

PM me for more info or questions- I'm a tech at a Toyota Dealership and know 'em pretty well

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2006, 11:46:15 AM »
get a diesel and never look back...

dat82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Member since Aug '05
  • THE ONLY NIGGA U KNOW THAT WALKED BEFOR I CRAWLED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2006, 09:15:42 PM »
yeah iam prob going to just get a F250 with a diesel kinda crap after the yota tattoo on my leg o well HAHAHA
82 yota lots of fun stuff

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »
A friend of mine has an 04 Tuncdra that he tow's with. He says he never has a problem. I bet in the last year he's logged 2000 miles just towing without one single problem. I'm waiting for next year so I can get a new rig. Going with a Tundra with the new v-8.!!! :driving:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »
I've got to say you can't beat a diesel for towing....I love mine and i've always been a yota guy.
But, with that said, the Tundra will work fine. Ask Marlin. He just got back from a 3000 mile round trip towing his pickup and that's not the first trip like that. There have been many times where he's taken trips just to get tcases and filled his whole trailer with them and the bed of the truck too (his wifes truck by the way). That poor Tundra was draggin butt, but it did it and still keeps on goin.

1985 4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2006, 12:45:07 AM »
my '06 V-8 tows just fine.

FATTshack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 129
  • Male Posts: 316
  • Member since Jun '05
  • BLUEY the WONDERSLUG
    • View Profile
    • The FATT Shack
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2006, 07:13:19 AM »
never had aproblem here.
been towing since '03

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2006, 10:41:04 AM »
wait until the new Tundra comes out in January...

Ryan, any truth to a diesel Tundra in 07?

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2006, 08:26:47 AM »
hey thinkin about getin a tundra to tow my toy anyone got one?? how do you like it ? anyone ?

Six years and it's stll hauling trailers, pulling heeps out of the mud..  THREE tranny coolers( One factory, one Small dealer installed, and one large After market installed last summer.)  Get a Temp Gauge.. It will give you peace of mind, and help prevent problems.  I tow in OD after I am up to speed, never been a problem even pulling long hard hills in the summer.. There're a OD switch remember. Just make a run at the hill hit  the switch and she'll pull.   :driving:  :burnout:

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »
I think Im going to wait untill the new tundra comes out.....maybe they will make a disel :crossed:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

motrhedx81

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2006, 04:51:29 AM »
From what I hear, Toyota is supposed to put out a diesel Tundra 1/2 ton in 2009.  Cummins just formed a partnership to put a diesel in someone's (nobody knows who right now, I suspect it's Nissan) 1/2 ton around 2010.  GM should be in the process of developing the V6 Duramax.  Half ton diesels should be hitting the road for almost everyone around 2009-2010.

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2006, 04:48:09 PM »
Ryan, any truth to a diesel Tundra in 07?

Rumor is that the Tundra WILL get a diesel, but probably NOT in 07.  Patience, Grasshopper.  From what I hear, the new 1/2 ton Tundra is simply gonna KILL all the other 1/2 tons currently on the market.

That's the game automakers play though.  When you're the LAST to release info on your upcoming truck, you can afford to wait and see what everybody else is doing, and then adjust your model accordingly to have the biggest/best numbers....

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »
yeah I was reading on the 07 tundras and they are going to have a 5.7 liter and supposedly tow over 10,000 pounds. funny thing is that I post on a dodge forum as well since i'm a dodge guy and have an 06 hemi ram and everyone on there is like ohhhh it's a toyota blah blah blah it will be weak, blah blah blah we will still be the fastest. They are under estimating toyota.

Ben Dover

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:38:50 PM »
Towing ain't the problem. Its stopping that's the issue. 1/2 tons just don't cut it for big loads.

FATTshack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 129
  • Male Posts: 316
  • Member since Jun '05
  • BLUEY the WONDERSLUG
    • View Profile
    • The FATT Shack
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:35:27 AM »
thats why god invented TRAILER BRAKES.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:49:24 AM »
Mine tows just fine, it gets bogged down on steep grades but still does a great job.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

bnold

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:25:05 AM »
Once you towed with a diesel you will never tow with a gasser again!!  Cummins all the way!
For towing these light rigs a Tundra should be fine, just be nice to your tranny, install another cooler and a trans temp gauge.  Trailer needs to have good brakes and a 'good' controller to control them...  Even 4k will push a half ton around like nothing in a heavy braking situation.

ctdellerman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »
The biggest problem towing with a half ton is the lack of tow vehicle weight.  They can easily pull the weight but they are the most dangerous when it comes to evasive manuvers and heavy wind.  The added weight of a 3/4 or 1 ton makes a much more stable tow platform.  Towing to and from the desert I have seen numerous tow related crashes and they all involve half ton tow vehicles (usually Titans).  I'm not trying to say don't tow with a half ton because I did it for two years but now that I have my 3/4 ton I do a lot less white knuckling.   :twocents: Eric
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »
I've got to say you can't beat a diesel for towing.

Jason remeber when you passed us pulling the grades heading towards the Tahoe side of the Con a couple years ago? 1/2 Chev Tahoe (gasser) with trailer and my truck vs. PSD with trailer and 4Runner, it was a little embarassing  :talkingn:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:05:23 AM »
Yep, I think that was the first time i'd towed the wheeler with the 6oh. I was grinnin from ear to ear. It was a whole differant story the year before with the f150.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »
Jason remeber when you passed us pulling the grades heading towards the Tahoe side of the Con a couple years ago? 1/2 Chev Tahoe (gasser) with trailer and my truck vs. PSD with trailer and 4Runner, it was a little embarassing  :talkingn:
PSD: Particularly Slow Deisel? ;)
I wouldn't mind towing with a 1/2 ton as long as the trailer had decent brakes
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »
PSD: Particularly Slow Deisel? ;)
Are you for real.  The 6.0 might not be the best motor, but it's not slow.  Wait till the 6.4 comes out.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:08:15 PM »
I'd rather tow with a dodge...i'm not a big ford guy. I like chevy and toyota, but D-Max blows if you ask me. I'd rather have a cummins
MY BUILD UP THREAD

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »
6.0? thats it? i say no smaller than the 7.3 ;) man that was a nice truck... its cool doing 90 down the freeway with a 9000 pound beast!
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2007, 04:21:36 PM »
6.0? thats it? i say no smaller than the 7.3 ;) man that was a nice truck... its cool doing 90 down the freeway with a 9000 pound beast!
The 6.0 while smaller in displacement is in fact more powerful than the 7.3 ever was. not to mention it had far more problems. The trucks we have at work have 18k GVW and have had both engines in the past few years and the 6.0 shines for power over the 7.3.
I'd rather tow with a dodge...i'm not a big ford guy. I like chevy and toyota, but D-Max blows if you ask me. I'd rather have a cummins
As you probably know I h8 Fords  :thumbdown: and as for Dodges....well....lets just say the cummins is the best thing they got going for them right now and  :spankbutt: on all those other diesels right now. My cousin has a 05 3/4 ton and scoots like a car when you get on the freeway and tows like a mother  :thumbs:. As for the D-max it may not be as powerful but it is the quietest of them all and GM is the only manufacturer who builds their own diesel for their product. Sure it's built by Isuzu but we all know GM owns Isuzu.  Ford doesn't own IH and Dodge doesn't own Cummins. I guess Ford or Dodge don't know how to build their own diesel that says a lot about the rest of their products. If GM can only get their head outa their  :moon: and put a SFA under there I would go down and get one right now. Until then I'm happy with my 78 chevy 1/2t. Remember "when you wear blue ovals you might get rammed by a real man wearing a bow tie:rofl2:. I think you know where I stand.    As you were, men.   :soapbox:

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:45:55 PM »
 :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
found a 3500 Cummins for 17k...hrmm...do i buy a towpig and pick up a truck payment, or do i keep it streetable til i can afford a truck straight out :conf: decisions decisions.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
This type of discussion always entertains me.

Comparing a diesel to a Tundra is about the same as comparing an Acura TL to a Z06.  Sure the Acura is fast and fun to drive, but no compared to a Z06.  A Tundra is a very comfortable reliable truck that has the ability to tow, the diesel trucks were built to tow so they better do a better job.

:twocents:

I have an 04 Tundra and it tow uhaul size loads just fine and I'm sure it could handle a car hauler, but it wasn't built for towing.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:02:40 PM »

Your only 71,000 pounds short of the real thing :thumbs:

Try crusing between Salt lake City on the Nev. state line at 110Mph with 80,000LBS :driving:

Max Heintz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 126
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »
Hey guys,

We use a tundra for are tow rig for work(Toyota dealership) Its a 2001 i think with 210,000+ on it. all those miles are towing miles. Its still running strong without any serious problem, Just do normal work on it and it just keeps going.