Author Topic: Stupid question  (Read 1890 times)

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
Stupid question
« on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:04:23 PM »
The harmonic balancer bolt is common thread right? Meaning righty-tighty, lefty-loosy???
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »
The harmonic balancer bolt is common thread right? Meaning righty-tighty, lefty-loosy???

Well...I had to think this one through. The oft used trick of using a wrench and bumping the engine to get the bolt off, is to wedge the wrench on the driver's side frame rail...would that be righty?

Tice, I wanted to tell you that it was nice meeting you and Wheeler the other day. He's a great little kid.

Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:38:17 PM »
That sounds right to me Mark. I've brooke one rachet and one adapter trying to get it off. It's on a engiine stand so doing that trick is out of the question.

It was great  meeting you.  BTW, did I ask if you had a tranny mount for sale? :headscratch:

www.wheelingarizona.com

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:45:53 PM »
That sounds right to me Mark. I've brooke one rachet and one adapter trying to get it off. It's on a engiine stand so doing that trick is out of the question.

It was great  meeting you.  BTW, did I ask if you had a tranny mount for sale? :headscratch:

Do you have an impact wrench? I've got one and a compressor if you need to borrow it/them. I've always been able to get the bolt out with the impact.

No, you didn't ask...I don't know if I still have one. I'll be continuing the garage clean up in the morning...I'll look.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Tice [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2006, 05:18:31 PM »
Kinda broke the impact a few weeks ago!! :disturbed: I'm getting one from a friend today and trying that. If that don't work I'll have part of an engine for sale!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

Jeffe 81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »
Do you still have the flywheel on the back of the engine?  I ran into a similar problem and used a large screwdriver and a bolt threaded into a tranny/engine bolt hole to brace the crank in place.  Just put the tip of a screwdriver/prybar in the flywheel ring gear while the screwdriver/prybar is braced by the bolt.  On my truck a high powered impact wrench(400 foot pounds of torque) wouldn't get the front crank bolt off, but holding the flywheel as above combined with a friend and cheater bar got it off.
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

Riddett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Not Many Rocks, but we got mud in Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2006, 09:22:22 AM »
You can stick a 2x4 between the crank weight and the block (remove the oil pan).
Heat the heck out of the bolt with propane torch.