Author Topic: 85 pickup 42's and links  (Read 51875 times)

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
Re: 85 pickup re-born
« Reply #90 on: Apr 01, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »
I like.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Apr 01, 2007, 10:27:53 PM »
to resize your pictures from iPhoto, select your photos you want to resize then go to File then click Export.  Once that window opens choose the size you want then where you want it sent too.  Hope that helps.  Oh and to choose multiple pictures at once hold the apple key down when your clicking on the pictures and it will keep each pictures selected.

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:31:33 AM »
Thanks dude, I'll try that tonight. It sure is easier to navigate with windows, but man I like the new Mac! :)

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Apr 02, 2007, 11:54:39 AM »
Yeah windows works great if thats what your used to, but I have had a mac now for 4 years and love them.  They rarely ever crash and I have never had a problem with a virus ever.  Don't give up on the OS X.  You'll get used to it, its actually easier to use once you get the hang of it. 

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Apr 03, 2007, 06:34:20 AM »
well at least if its off topic its my thread :) Thanks for the help, re-sizing works great, now I have to figure out exactly where they go, and figure out how to organize them better. Right now I've got files everywhere, need to name, organize, and sort and we'll be there.

BTW getting the tank mounted back up tonight, mounting the filler neck up. I had to make a 90* out of 2" copper for the filler neck. It never occured to me that with the cans mounted right behind the tank, the filler can't make that sharp of a turn, so I had to improvise. I think its come out pretty cool really, will post pics tonight.

I'm dying to build a tube chassis, but I'm really worried because I know space is always tight, and mounting something one way affects 10 other  things, sometimes thinking ahead like that is tough. The pros make it look easy... :bowdown:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »
http://www.solidmfg.net/home.php

You probably know about them already. From when I can see their work is very good.  Some of my friends wheel with these guys and I've seen some of their work outside of tube buggies.  I understand what you mean about building a tube chassis.  I know that I could do it but thats why I had my first one built for me.  My next one will be done by me. 

btw there in Cortez if you didn't know that.

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2007, 05:41:13 AM »
Got a little more done here and there, no real pics though. I cut the firewall back a couple of inches. Basically I cut it right in the center of the two bolts that hold the fender on, and went straight up about 8 inches or so. I was surprised at how well it came out. I cut a piece of sheetmetal sorta the shape of the hole, and started tacking and pounding into place.

Here are a couple of pics from Cruise Moab, got a set of borrowed 42" irocs and 17" trailreadys. I'm waiting on my new Poison Spyder beadlocks to arrive(hopefully a couple of weeks) and a new set of 42 irocs :)

I'm going to be installing air bumps in the front, have them on the shelf in my garage. Also I have to pull the front axle out, one of the studs that holds the leaf spring on popped, so I have to get an easy out and extract it. I picked up a set of 3" Marlin buggy springs in the process, and so combining my current pack with these will move my front axle forward an additional two inches. Even after cutting the firewall, the new shoes still rub :dunno: so a couple more inches forwad should help a lot!

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
Found the carb works awesome going downhill, not a sputter going down WKH. It sputters a bit when climbing, but if I give it enough to stay running, no problems. I hit white knuckle hill in third giong up and it popped right up. I planned to rebuild the motor this winter and add EFI, but now I'm not sure sure, it runs flawless on everything I've tried so far :dunno:

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2007, 07:58:16 AM »
I'm also thinking about adding some tube to the upper part of the bed, probably more aesthetic than anything, but I can't come up with any ideas that work with the lines I have...

suggestions? Or should I leave it?

donutman126

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2007, 09:40:47 AM »
I think you should put some bedsides on it and make it look like a truck

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »
Already looks nice to me!
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »
I don't know if I've said this before but you have one of my favorite trucks.  It looks so sweet.  Do you have a interior cage yet? 

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2007, 07:31:10 AM »
I do. I cut a 2" hole in either corner of the cab, and the tube bed goes through the cab. Essentially the b-pillar is outside of the truck and the front part comes in. I want to add a touch more bracing but its definately solid.

Found out the new PSC locks now won't be available until Mid-late July :mad: so I am thinking I am going to order a set of 17" allieds instead. I'm tired of having it on stands. I'd like to install the air bumps in front and run it.   

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Aug 03, 2007, 06:16:55 AM »
truck has been out of comission for a while, since I've been busy buying a new house, and getting my current condo ready to rent out. I figured since it was on stands, I would take a day or so and repair and rebuild.

I broke a stud on the housing in Moab, guess I never realized the right way to shim an axle, so I pulled the studs, one I drilled out with an ez out, and surprisingly it came out much easier than I thought, and the other one was a little bent.

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Aug 03, 2007, 06:18:15 AM »
Once that was done and the axle back in place, I cut off the shock mounts and built some new ones, and I added some nitrogen bumps too. I was figuring on linking the front, but since it works so well as is, and the fact that I'm tired of working on it and want to just wheel it, well, I ordered some bilstein 7100's to go with these new bumps. I set them up so there is about 1" before they engage the spring plate, we'll see how well that works, I dunno I'm a newbie with these  I charged them to 250 psi, I'll get it out this weekend and see how that does.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #105 on: Aug 03, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »
Let us know how those airbumps work for you!  I've been thinking about a set.  My frontend hits the bumpstops hard when going downhill with all the weight of the truck on the front springs.  We'll have to get together sometime and wheel since we're both in CO.  Let me know when you're down for an Indy run  :biggthumpup:
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:38:11 PM »
small update, been collecting parts for front links, I ordered a set of SAW 2.5 airshocks last week, so it might happen this winter. Right now I'm not to concerned since it works so well otherwise.

The shims came out, what a horrible idea. I dropped into upper helldorado and sure enough as soon as it got wedged, *ping* and out comes the shim...ended my day but we got it fixed sans shims, and besides a bad pinion angle, it works fine.

I got started on bedsides finally, I will post pics eventually(wife lost the camera in the move) and they are turning out better than I would've expected.

Here's a couple of shots from thanksgiving...

oh and Volcom, 250 on the bumps is WAY too much, felt like bottoming out every time they touched. I lowered them to 85psi and they are much better now :)

I'm still not completely convinced they are worth the money though :shrug:

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:43:18 PM »
pics

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #108 on: Dec 05, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »
Nice pics  :bowdown:

Thanks for the heads up on the air bumps.  I'm kinda thinking of going this route.  They are cheaper for sure  :greengrin:
http://www.timbren.com/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347598&highlight=Timbren+bumps

What kind of shims did you use?  I was also thinking of adding a set to my front axle to get the caster back to almost normal.  Were they aluminum or steel? 
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Dec 05, 2007, 01:53:32 PM »
I used steel shims. Round one was one shim against the axle, and that ended up in one broken stud in the housing, and one nearly broken. Round two was an opposing shim on top to allow the axle to be rotated, while the spring plates would sit flat. That time ended up in upper shim being spit out (thank God right at the beginning of the trail) as soon as the front got bound up.

never never never never again! Both times I used new centering pins too, and both times(we're talking 3-4 trails each time, max)the centering pins were wasted afterward.

I could weld the shims on, but it would require me to weld them to cast on the passenger side, I do not pretend to be competent enough for that, and I'm simply too lazy to have it machined or pull it out so someone else can weld the cast. Its not important enough since it works just fine without :)

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 85 pickup 42's and links
« Reply #110 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:14:59 AM »
Thought I would throw in a quick update...I added some bedsides, found a cherry bed and chopped it all up and installed it with a few tabs. I think it came out good. I also solved the shim issue. I cut off the driver side spring perch and re-welded a new one on, rotated. I put a 6* shim in on the pass side(cast mount) that bolted in to the spring pack...the opposing shim went on top of the pack and was welded to the spring plate, so there is effectively only one shim that is bolted in the spring pack.

Helped the pinion angle a TON, bought me some time before front links, and after 4 days in Las Cruces for the Chile Challenge, it works :thumbs:

a few pics from Cruces...

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
I like the bed sides.  It finishes the truck off really well.  Have you gotten to try out the IROKs in the snow yet?

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:59:30 AM »
sweet truck man  :beerchug:...bed sides turned out good

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:14:01 AM »
thanks, I thought it turned out good too. Now I need to squirt it all one color, its going to be safety orange :)

I got them in the snow, so so really but I don't have much power and it was before I re-corrected the shims, so any wheel speed in 4wd gave me horrible vibes.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »
Dang.  Nice look on the bed sides!  :yesnod:  some good action shots as well. :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:31:54 PM »
Were you hooked up to a winch in that last picture?  Looks like your totally vertical.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »
Sweet truck!!!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:56:30 AM »
Were you hooked up to a winch in that last picture?  Looks like your totally vertical.

no...Its an optional hole at the end of Tobasco Twister, and probably 9-10ft tall and I went for it and stood it on the tail.I have another pic at work of it, it stood straight on end and then settled to the driver side. I got winched back down so I could back off of it :)

I was sure I was going over backwards

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Feb 29, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »
Bet that was a crapy feelin,  probably the worst way to roll!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

jkimmel [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Feb 29, 2008, 08:14:32 AM »
Bet that was a crapy feelin,  probably the worst way to roll!

not really, it was in a sandy wash so though I'm sure it would've done damage, it would've been a soft hit. I was laughing actually. I tried reverse but the carb said no so I hunkered down in my seat and pulled my belt tighter in anticipation but it stayed upright :)