Author Topic: 22RE Supercharger  (Read 24821 times)

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
22RE Supercharger
« on: Jun 04, 2006, 01:17:24 PM »
i was reading an article in 4Wheel and Off Road a while back about and LC Engineering Motor that they put in a tubed yota, and in the article they showed the preview of this EFI Supercharger.  I was just wondering if they started making it yet, because i cannot find it on their website, and i called today but its sunday and i didnt get an answer.  or if anyone else makes one for 22RE for that matter.  thanks for any info  :beerchug:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 22RE Supercharger
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:03:22 PM »
yummy :drool: 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Geno

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 546
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:12:24 PM »
The stopped making the 22RE supercharger, I am not sure why.  They still sell the 22R carb supercharger setup though.
OFRD_GRL – as much as i appreciate strip clubs, i could never date a chic. they are all flopin crazy.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »
You can always buy the whole shebang from www.toyotaperformance.com for $6525.00
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »
You could always pimp the turbo...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Matty [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »
i was looking at that talking about how they used a 3rd generation Eaton M45 supercharger that wasnt being sold anymore.  But on Eatons site it says they sell it still.  The other difference is that they say its a 3rd generation but it looks a lot more like their 4th generation M45.  Of course i dont know really anything about these so any info is appreciated. 

The first picture is the 3rd Generation M45, the next is the 4th Generation M45 which is suppose to be for "engineered for 1.0 to 2.4 litre port injected engines".  and then the toyota performance site says the one pictured above from CTENG in KS is that 3rd gen one.

Matty [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:37:15 PM »
You could always pimp the turbo...

not to keen on turbos.  i suppose it would be pretty fun though

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2006, 05:53:25 PM »
the LCengineering turbo is a T3/T4 Garrett.   way WAY  more turbo than the stock ct-20
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -32
  • Male Posts: 59
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own...
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:19:17 PM »
It's been several yrs since I looked into this but it seems to me that the only actual one you could get was from a guy in Puallup(I know I miss spelled that, sorry) WA.  He was specially building them as orders came in.  I will try to remember his contact info/find it for you if you are serious.  The cost was just over 2500 for the charger and all components at that time.
RynsToy
SAS'd and Caged 94 PU on it's 4th set of tires in 6 months and hasn't moved an inch, currently, stock '65 GMC wheels.

RIP: Corporal Victor M. Langarica - 20 Jan 2007

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2006, 10:51:45 PM »
It's been several yrs since I looked into this but it seems to me that the only actual one you could get was from a guy in Puallup(I know I miss spelled that, sorry) WA.  He was specially building them as orders came in.  I will try to remember his contact info/find it for you if you are serious.  The cost was just over 2500 for the charger and all components at that time.

yeah try to rememer I live in washington and would love to get something like that someday for my 4Runner

Matty [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »

that would be great if you could find that info.  appreciate the help.

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:20:23 PM »
 :thumbs:
RynsToy
SAS'd and Caged 94 PU on it's 4th set of tires in 6 months and hasn't moved an inch, currently, stock '65 GMC wheels.

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:31:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is the guy I talked to...it was back in 2002 :shake:

http://www.camdensuperchargers.com/index.php?pag=401

Looks like the price has gone up a little bit too.
RynsToy

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2006, 12:00:14 AM »
I was thinking the whole time reading down the post....camden superchargers....atkins rotary....I got to see his daily driver.....actually....I basically drove next to him from LA to CA down I-10 kinda funny.....the kit looks nice though, he had one in his trailer that came with a webber I think...but also offered an EFI model...very clean looking....I wanted one. wish I had cash:(  hes from washington....so yeah
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Matty [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2006, 04:02:35 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is the guy I talked to...it was back in 2002 :shake:

http://www.camdensuperchargers.com/index.php?pag=401

Looks like the price has gone up a little bit too.

price didnt go up too much.  now all i need is a little more money  :eyebrow:.

thanks again for the help  :beerchug:

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2006, 05:05:55 AM »
no prob.
RynsToy

Sundowner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:08:55 AM »
The stopped making the 22RE supercharger, I am not sure why.  They still sell the 22R carb supercharger setup though.

superchargers are obsolete. :D

Geno

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 546
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »

Lies!!! I love me 22re supercharger  :)   I am taking it off and selling it though because it is not CA smog legal :(
OFRD_GRL – as much as i appreciate strip clubs, i could never date a chic. they are all flopin crazy.

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #18 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:27:23 AM »

I kinda agree, at least for a 22R/RE.  After looking at the numbers that the supercharger was supposed to get me, I decided to build my new engine up with a cam, valve springs, oversized pistons, and header.  The only thing I didn't do was the valves which I wish I would have done.  This still netted me enough to run anything I want with no trouble on 39.5 Iroks and even out run bertha's V-6.

Now you want some cheap power, get a 20R head with a carb and put it on top your 22RE block with the oversized pistons, oversized valve job, cam and header.  I do have another buddy that runs almost as well as EFI with a STOCK carb.
RynsToy

alpha_radiation

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 78
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2006, 09:08:04 AM »
I don't understand why someone would spend that kind of money on a 22/re when a 3vz will do it, with a better foundation???

Sundowner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2006, 11:10:16 AM »
I don't understand why someone would spend that kind of money on a 22/re when a 3vz will do it, with a better foundation???

I dont' know why someone would do a supercharger over a turbo, but assuming the more efficient turbo is chosen:
a mild 22re built with a turbo eliminates a lot of wiring and mounting headaches, is overall cheaper to do, and will generate more power than a 5vze while returning better gas mileage. is the 3rz a better motor than a 22re? yes. is it cost effective to swap in a 3rz vs. a properly built 22re or 22rte? ususally not.

now someone will reply who said he did a 3rz for several hundred dollars, but forgot to add in the 17 $100 trips to the hardware and autoparts stores ;)

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #21 on: Jun 06, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »
The turbo vs supercharger is a long debate but you have to decide when you want your power to kick in.  Turbo's don't really start helping you until you get to higher RPM's where Superchargers start at lower RPM's.  Of course there are variations to this depending on how they are built and how much you want to pay for them.  For rockcrawling I don't think either one of them is going to help a whole lot just due to the fact you don't use alot of skinny all the time and adding that kind of power such as when using the supercharger or turbo can have more of a breakage effect on tranny's, transfer cases, axles and such.  Build a good engine and be done with it.

Of course I am saying all this while I am in the process of throwing a 4.3 vortec in my junk.

There is no correct answer, it's just what you want to run and how you view things.  There is a saying for this---"To each his own." :biggthumpup:
RynsToy

alpha_radiation

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 78
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 06, 2006, 11:23:19 AM »
I realize the 3vz is going to cost more and take more time, but the beneift is greater.  It has more hp/tq than a turbo re and there is less to go wrong.  If the turbo fails you just paid for the bulk of a 3vz swap.
And if the supercharger isn't smog legal you have to take it off and put it back on.  

I bet converting an re to a turbo costs about 75% of the 3vz swap.

A properly sized turbo or supercharger (screw style) will give you plenty of low end torque.

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #23 on: Jun 06, 2006, 11:40:49 AM »
But the 22re turbo is high end torque and like I said, it will vary, just depends on what you want to pay for.

Overall I vote build the engine you want for what you need, leave the both of 'em out and spend the money on building a kickin engine. 8)
RynsToy

Sundowner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
I realize the 3vz is going to cost more and take more time, but the beneift is greater.  It has more hp/tq than a turbo re and there is less to go wrong.  If the turbo fails you just paid for the bulk of a 3vz swap.
And if the supercharger isn't smog legal you have to take it off and put it back on.  

I bet converting an re to a turbo costs about 75% of the 3vz swap.

A properly sized turbo or supercharger (screw style) will give you plenty of low end torque.

assuming you are going to rebuild a 22re, the cost of  adding a turbo is relatively small. maybe $1000 over the cost of rebuild a 22re. turbos have become so common place that they are cheaper than AC compressors, anymore. a rebuilt T-3 should run about $250.

Sundowner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »
But the 22re turbo is high end torque and like I said, it will vary, just depends on what you want to pay for.

Overall I vote build the engine you want for what you need, leave the both of 'em out and spend the money on building a kickin engine. 8)

totally agree on build it however you want it. but before you dismiss turbos as high end ricer novelties, go test drive a MODERN turbocahrged car like a Legacy GT or an Audi A3. turbos tuned for bottom end torque can be insane.

Matty [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 06, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »
isn't it all personal perference for what you want to do? and how you want to spend your money anyways though  :headscratch:

if you can and want to why not? i agree with building a strong solid motor and having that more than enough, but dont you wanna have a little fun too  :eyebrow: :drool:

toyman1994

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
    • Wheeling Arizona
« Reply #27 on: Jun 06, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »

totally agree on build it however you want it. but before you dismiss turbos as high end ricer novelties, go test drive a MODERN turbocahrged car like a Legacy GT or an Audi A3. turbos tuned for bottom end torque can be insane.

maybe so, I don't drive cars :hammerhead:...but anyways...this was about finding a supercharger for someone not a which is best.  there is always the exception. 

as far as building something and then add to it for more fun...well I am, going to the 4.3 vortec.  I don't want to get too much power cause then I will really start breaking things.
RynsToy

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #28 on: Jun 10, 2006, 10:34:45 PM »
I did not see this topic until now, and I've decided to stay out of it.

Anyone see this on eBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8073539956

The guys claims its for a 22R, but the intake manifold is appears to be for a 20R head. Caburated Supercharger :clap2:

Supercharger, the only type of boost worth having.
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 11, 2006, 06:53:13 AM »
I have a friend that has a kit like this that told me he wanted to get rid of it. Not sure if it was for 20R or 22R, but I know it was for a Carb.

If this is something you are intrested in let me know and I will get pictures and talk to him about price.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0