Author Topic: what exhaust should i buy ?  (Read 4456 times)

nrgwar

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 49
  • Member since May '06
  • Sit on it!!!
    • View Profile
    • Colorblind Designs
what exhaust should i buy ?
« on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:06:45 PM »
i am looking into buy a exhaust system for my 4banger 22re 1991 excab 4x4  :clap: but i do not know what brand or even how big of pipeing i should go from the cat...

i got a quote on a custome 2 1/2 inch pipeing & a flowmaster for 200$ is that a good deal ? also can someone post some links on exhaust makes for my truck plz thx
2001 4Runner SR5

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: what exhaust should i buy ?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:10:11 PM »
If that's just from the cat back, it's not too bad.  Mind you, it ain't great, but it ain't that bad.  Although, I would suggest 2 1/4, not 2 1/2.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:11:36 PM »
You want at least 2" but don't go over 2.5 inches or you'll hurt yerself. 2.25 is probably best. The exhaust won't do much unless you get a good set of headers. I would highly recommend Downey off-road. Yes, that seems like a good deal to me on the flowmaster and tubing. Just make sure they don't use a bunch of slip fits and filler crap :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

nrgwar [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
  • Sit on it!!!
    • View Profile
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »
are these headers Downey off-road 50 state legal & including california
2001 4Runner SR5

nrgwar [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
  • Sit on it!!!
    • View Profile
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2006, 09:28:36 PM »
also why is 2.25 better then 21/2 ? will i feel a torque and horsepower gain ? also who makes good air intake systems for the 22re 4 banger ? i know K&N dose but for $175 :( who ells make them also 50 state legal
2001 4Runner SR5

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
Get a header and then build your own 2 1/4 in after that.  easy and you save a lot of money.  I have about $250 into my exhaust and that is with the header.  I just went to Riebes and bought a the 2 1/4 inch pipe thay had there with one of there mufflers.  $5 a piece for the 1 1/2 foot lengths and $20 for the muffler.  I bought 4 pieces of the straight ones and 2 bent ones to go up and around my rear shock.  Another $180 for the header.  some of them even come pree bent so all you have to do is buy, mock up, and then weld together.  I have no cat since i don't have to smog it anymore but it sounds pretty good and i did notice a horsepower gain.  You don't want 2 1/2 inch pipe because you want a little bit of back preasure for the little 4 bangers. 

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2006, 10:30:31 PM by Hyena »

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:37:18 PM »
I have no cat since i don't have to smog it anymore

how do you not have to smog i anymore?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:40:21 PM »
green sticker for me.   some counties in cali you dont have to smog.. im guessing he is green sticker now though
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:43:12 PM »
anyway  i  like 2 1/2  thats what i have.. from a LC header to a cat ( need to have it removed) then to a 14" glasspack  and dumps out right behind the cab.  noticed a power gain.  2 1/4 and 2 1/2  is the best.. i  dislike anything that i cant see through.. methinks glasspacks are best for toyotas.. but thats me
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:47:12 PM »
i have heard that glasspacks suck on toyotas, dotn have personal experience with them though... here is what i do have personal experience with, the flowmaster 40 and the magnaflow..... i currently have the flowmaster 40, and its cool, but i used to have a magnaflow on it before, and it actually sounded better than the flowmaster, wish i still had it....

im running a hiflow cat, and pass smog, on my 22r .... i do have an intake mod, and that alone makes the growl @ wot a lot louder..... i like it :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2006, 07:01:41 AM »
.. i  dislike anything that i cant see through.. methinks glasspacks are best for toyotas.. but thats me
:yesnod:   i knew i liked that boy  :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2006, 10:12:31 AM »
I can see right through my maximum flow hooker better than any glass pack and it purrs like a kitten quiter than stock and is 2.25" :eyebrow:

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2006, 11:40:33 AM »
Go with a spin-tech and 2.25,  it will cost a bit more but will have great sound.  You don't want 2.5 because it opens it up to much and will not allow enough back pressure.  I have 2.25 and a flowmaster 40 on mine; I'm happy with it seems like too many toyotas have them anymore.  200 is a fair price, I paid 180 for cat back with the 4 series and 2.25 pipe.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »
In Washington State, Glasspack type mufflers are illegal on the trails, but I doubt it would be a problem unless a ranger got bored.

Personally I think that a header, highflow cat, a quality muffer and 2-1/2 pipe should work well.

If the exhaust doesn't have enough backpressure (i.e. pipe diameter is too large) it can reduce low end torque.  Headers generally start to function at higher RPM which is why they are good for horsepower increases.  The longer the header, the lower RPM you can feel a difference.

I read an article on Camaro's (I had a 2000 SS for a while) that explained that the 42" long tube headers (they run to the front seats) were required to see any significant difference under 6,000 rpm, basically short tube headers were not worth the money.

I also don't understand why anyone would want their rigs to be loud, when I upgrade my exhaust I still want to keep it quiet as the tires are loud enough.  In the case of "muscle" cars, that is part of their joy, the sound of a V8 is required.

An exhaust shop owner once told me that anything behind the first "stop" in the exhaust system doesn't matter.  If you are running a restrictive cat then the muffler doesn't matter as long as it flows equally or better than the cat.

Every hear of 180 degree headers for V8's?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2006, 12:03:16 PM »
I have an LC Header, and 2 1/4" piping with a magnaflow.  I love it!  :yesnod:   This is a 22r Carb, and I can definatly feel a difference.

I chose 2 1/4 because I didn't want to lose to much low end, and I believe that was the dia at the end of the header.  Although I have heard that 2 1/2 works well.  This was my first one and I am happy with it.

Just my  :twocents:
I like to Drive!

nrgwar [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
  • Sit on it!!!
    • View Profile
    • Colorblind Designs
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2006, 06:53:01 PM »
i see so i need to buy a header :) and a high flow cat hm....
2001 4Runner SR5

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2006, 09:22:32 PM »
180 headers SBC  what a sound 2 farting squriles fighting, i'm old school hot rod but love my YOTA to play!!!

toy85ota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2006, 05:00:53 PM »
Hey I've got 2 1/4 from the cat back with a magnaflow muffler, and stock header, and its sounds pretty sweet, Its not obnoxiusly loud but loud enough for people to hear you coming.
When in doubt, throttle out!!!