Author Topic: Keep or junk my Tacoma  (Read 7902 times)

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
Re: Keep or junk my Tacoma
« Reply #30 on: Jun 21, 2006, 08:38:47 PM »
 :thumbs:  good good, now your in the right frame of mind, you say you only wheel it once or twice a month, maybe time for a hobby change, get that SAS dont and start enjoying the vehicles that have over come this forum :yesnod:
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:01:21 PM »
:clap:  Welcome back to the light :thumbs: 

Enjoy the site, you will find more information than you ever thought existed on these vehicles.  There is a reason we all love toyota, glad you figured it out :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:25:48 PM »
Eureaka!!!  Just fix the steering and misc. bare bones stuff so it drives and steers, then take out the ifs diff, c.v.'s and front driveshaft and drive it around like a 2wd. that way you can replace your parts slowly on the side and not at once in one lump sum. And you can still wheel it, even harder now.

that should work, right.

1985 22RE EFI YOTA 4RUNNER, 31's, Open Diff's

Everybody knows there ain't no such thing as Leftover Crack

PLEASE GOD PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!!!!!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 21, 2006, 11:56:37 PM »
Eureaka!!!  Just fix the steering and misc. bare bones stuff so it drives and steers, then take out the ifs diff, c.v.'s and front driveshaft and drive it around like a 2wd. that way you can replace your parts slowly on the side and not at once in one lump sum. And you can still wheel it, even harder now.

that should work, right.

yes, or he could just not put it in 4wd, and collect the parts slowly, then pull it all out in one fell swoop and replace the broken stuff or do the SAS at one time.  With that IFS stuff, its easier to do it all at once rather than gradually, peice by peice

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '06
  • You call me "Destructive" like it is a bad thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 22, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »
 :smack: :smack: :smack: I can not believe I never thought about pulling off the IFS and driveshaft and drive it around.  I am so glad I joined this site. Thank you
Destruct O

gabriul

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 23, 2006, 07:11:32 AM »
A SAS swap would be a very good suggested idea.
I have beat the living daylights out of my IFS Tacoma, and the only way I could see something like that happeneing is if there was pre exsisting damage as stated prior. Toyotas a really not that cheazy.

I can offer up $500 for the truck if you don't like the way things are going.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #36 on: Jun 23, 2006, 08:05:45 AM »
he doesnt have hubs so he needs to pull the half shafts  diff and drive shaft  and then he'll be golden to drive his truck 

and i wouldnt worry about the sas  if you just go wheelin 1-2 times amonth,  slowly gather the ifs parts you need  and when you have everything together then take a weekend and put it together
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »
and i wouldnt worry about the sas  if you just go wheelin 1-2 times amonth,  slowly gather the ifs parts you need  and when you have everything together then take a weekend and put it together

Unless you're wanting to get into wheeling more.  even then, you may be happy with the IFS. I've beat mine to hell and back, so a SAS is soon to be in the works, but its always taken me where I've wanted to go :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 03, 2006, 06:32:40 PM »
Hows your truck? Are you driving it around yet?  :driving:  :burnout: :spin: :crazyjumpy:

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 03, 2006, 06:37:17 PM »
some pics would be really cool too if you have damage day a post damage and removal.

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 04, 2006, 08:36:21 AM »
 Since me and my wife got laid off from our jobs our whole project came to a screeching halt. I have been hiding my truck from the repo person. This may sound a bit crazy; since me or my wife could not get a loan to fix our truck (before the lay off) and none of our families or friends are finically well off to lend us that kind of money to fix the truck. Since this mishap occurred and I wanted to fix it I decided to stop making the payments on my truck and started using my truck payment money to start getting the parts I need and to hire a welder so right now. I am pretty much up Sh@*s Creek with out a paddle at this stage of the game. It is a good thing my wife’s vehicle is paid off and my Uncle gave me his old Chevy for me to use until we get on our feet again. I will keep you posted on what is going on.
Destruct O

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Jul 04, 2006, 10:50:43 AM »
Dam dude that sucks    I hope U 2 find a job.   Also i hope U hide the truck very well I hate 2 see U get the parts/money invested and it get repoed from you. 
You can allways just cut you losses and start over.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 06, 2006, 05:50:42 PM »
I hope you 2 get a job also. That officially sux. Best of luck too you. I have been up Dukey Creek myself and I know what it is like.

:crossed:
 :turtle:

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 08, 2006, 09:54:03 PM »
Thank you. I if it was not for bad luck I would have no luck LOL I was just getting over my negative hump about the damage I done to my truck now this happened. Was in the process of deciding if I should go with a 86 Waggy axel or just go for broke and try to the make truck as much Toyota as I possibly can afford to I was planning on going with a 80 series land cruiser axels with a 95 Taco T-case. But when this mess came about when it comes to me and my wife eating and having a roof over our head and doing a SAS I choose the SAS LOL I am only kidding. Only thing good about this lay off I am eligible to collect unemployment and I have allot of time know for research for my truck. Like how unclejpl4x4 quoted (you can always just cut you losses and start over)
I am only about a month and half in the hole with my truck payment but if the hole gets so deep were I have to pay a lot of money to keep my vehicle and plus I have to keep in consideration that I have a pretty big bill hang over my head with this SAS swap. So if that happens then I will take unclejpl4x4 advice and abandon ship well in this case abandon truck. My buddy gave me an early birthday present he gave me his IFS carrier from his wrecked Tacoma. So then I started looking into those long travel IFS systems from Cam burg and Total Chaos, but I do not know there fronts alone start in the 2k range. But these kits do not seem to be that hard to install, unlike doing a SAS to a 00 Tacoma. I will keep you guys posted I am know off to look for a post on long travel IFS systems.
Destruct O

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jul 17, 2006, 09:59:34 PM »
YES YES YES!!!! The lay off is over and I am working OT like a man possed I am think about going with fullsize axels but which make should I go for Chevy Ford Or Dodge
Destruct O

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #45 on: Jul 17, 2006, 11:20:19 PM »
the chevy ford and dodge front axles, in the 1/2 and the older 3/4 tons are dana 44's. the only differences are the spring perch locations, easily changed by cutting/welding, and the ford front axle is a driver side drop, whereas the other 2 are passanger side drop (location of the differential) toyota solid axles are passanger side as well.

i dont know if your truck has a drivers side or passangers side t-case, just need to crawl underneeth your truck and see which side your front drive shaft goes to.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:11:09 AM »
It is on the drivers side. I was looking at Diamond axels only for the reason I want to keep my truck Toyota as possible. I have seen on marlins web site that he sells a adapter to mount a 79 to 95 4cyl t-case to a W59 transsmission like the one that is in my truck now, Ther is a junkyard 50 miles from were I live and they have a lot of 79-85 Toyota axels and are going for $100.00 a axel  and $50.00 per T-case what condition they are in I do not know.   
Destruct O