Author Topic: Junk new weber to efi?  (Read 3377 times)

1badeagle

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Junk new weber to efi?
« on: Sep 17, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »
Hey guys, I just picked up a 88 donor truck for 50$ with a bad motor. My question is, Im about to swap the junk weber out for the efi off my donor truck. I have a 85 4runner, with a different motor in it that i built. I need to know what year the motor actually is. I know that it has the volcano pistons and a double roller timing chain. So is my motor not going to have the holes needed to bolt on my efi stuff? How hard is it to add the needed holes to my exsisting built head? Will there be much of a power gain from a bad running new weber to the efi setup?Are there alot of wires that will need spliced?

Thanks alot guys.

Dustin Phillis 

P.S. Add anymore input if you can:)

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: Junk new weber to efi?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
i swapped my 85 from carb to efi about 5 or so years ago.  i didn't have to do any mods to the head. 85 was the cross over year where the head is already tapped for efi manifold. but there is a whole bunch of wires that have to get spliced.  it seems kind of overwhelmng at first, but its really not too much.  it took me about 4 hours of soldering alone.  had the harness swapped out in less than a day though.  it was well worth it.  if you need any help, let me know.  i still remember it like i did it yesterday.  getting ready to do another here pretty soon.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
oh, best way to do it, have both trucks parked side by side. don't forget, every wire from headlight to tail light is going to get swapped over.  even the guage cluster will need to get swapped over along with relays.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

1badeagle [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
Is there a way to make a simplified harness??

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »
yes, but its more work than its worth.  ORS had one, but i think they went out of business.  you could have everything(harness, ecu, gas tank, etc.) swapped out in a weekend.  as long as your parts truck has a complete wiring harness, i would just go with that and swap it all over.  there is a post up somewhere on pirate where a guy integrated a carbed harness with the efi harness and made them work.  i'll see if i can find it.  like i said though, its more work to do it that way than to swap the whole harness over.  just my :twocents:
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

1badeagle [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »
Ok, I found the post on pirate and have read it all. Does it matter if my donor truck has a auto tranny and not a manual? Also any idea on the year of my motor?

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
no, auto tranny doesn't matter.  you'll just have some extra wires and plugs that you can snip off or zip tie up.  88 efi should be the identical.  everything will swap right over.  85 was the first year that the 22re was out in the trucks, and the heads regardless if they were carbed or not are tapped for it with the extra bolt or stud, i don't remeber which. 
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
Hey guys, I just picked up a 88 donor truck for 50$ with a bad motor. My question is, Im about to swap the junk weber out for the efi off my donor truck. I have a 85 4runner, with a different motor in it that i built. I need to know what year the motor actually is. I know that it has the volcano pistons and a double roller timing chain. So is my motor not going to have the holes needed to bolt on my efi stuff? How hard is it to add the needed holes to my exsisting built head? Will there be much of a power gain from a bad running new weber to the efi setup?Are there alot of wires that will need spliced?

Thanks alot guys.

Dustin Phillis 

P.S. Add anymore input if you can:)
your engine was made before August of 84.  the holes might be there but i cant be sure, if it was a 84 engine then they probably would but if its a 82 or 83  probably not.

all you need to swap is the engine harness and ecu
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
and body harness.  unless i did more than i was supposed to?   :dunno:
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »
no, auto tranny doesn't matter.  you'll just have some extra wires and plugs that you can snip off or zip tie up.  88 efi should be the identical.  everything will swap right over.  85 was the first year that the 22re was out in the trucks, and the heads regardless if they were carbed or not are tapped for it with the extra bolt or stud, i don't remeber which. 
the 88 efi is unique,  it has a different plug on the injectors so if you use a 88 efi harness you'll have to use 88 injectors also.

not 100% sure on the auto tranny wiring but i'm pretty sure you have to wire in the neutral switch so it will start.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »
and body harness.  unless i did more than i was supposed to?   :dunno:
body harness's are the same,  he only needs to remove the pass side kick panel and remove the ucu, then move the harness from the engine to the ecu.

however I cant remember where the wires connect to that engine harness for the gauges :headscratch:

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:46:08 PM »
body harness's are the same,  he only needs to remove the pass side kick panel and remove the ucu, then move the harness from the engine to the ecu.

however I cant remember where the wires connect to that engine harness for the gauges :headscratch:
i'll look at mine when i get home tonight, but if i remember right, the engine harness has 3 plugs, 2 of which plug into the ecu, and the the third plugs into the body harness, then another plug from the body harness plugs into the ecu also.  i'll check though, i might be wrong
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

1badeagle [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »
Ok, pirate says that you must use a 83 and up head, thats why i was asking since I have no clue what mine is. If you guys were gonna do this how would you rate it on a 1-10 scale 1 being easy and 10 hard?

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
I say it a 5, can vary depending on how u doin it. If u got a whole donor truck its easy peezy. If you cuttin and splicing wires to build a harness, can get a lil more tricky, and then when u run into probs, can be harder to find.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

1badeagle [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2010, 08:11:11 AM »
I only paid 100 bux for a entire 88 2wd 22re automatic with a 120k miles on it. The bed and frame are rusty but the doors,cab, fenders are all rust free. I gonna swap the doors onto my 85 runner and sell the cab and fenders and scrap the converter. I think I got a awesome deal on it for 100$.