Author Topic: My 1980 buildup: 22r Hybrid, W56 Trans... need a little help.  (Read 1598 times)

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Okay so I decided I needed a place to post up all of the questions I have and will have in the near future regarding the buildup that I'm doing. I have an '80 shortbed with 20R and L43. I threw a bearing in the 20R and am now building up a hybrid 22R (20R head). The engine is being assembled with the following: DOA Pistons Rings C270 Cam and Dual Valve Springs, EPN 1mm O/S valves, engine is being bored 1mm over, 22R Rocker Arms, bronze valve guides, new bearings, gaskets oil pump timing kit etc etc... Engine will be done in a week or so... I bought a rebuilt W56 from CalMiniTruck as well as used Gear Driven T-case (stock T/C will be used for crawl box down the road). Okay so here are some questions I still have after searching the boards...

What year clutch kit should I buy? I want to go OEM for now since money is something of an issue. Something that would normally be used in a W56 I assume?

Do I need a different clutch fork? Do I need a different clutch slave cylinder?

Anyone have any recommendations on some good plugs and wires to use for the Hybrid?

The biggest dilemma I'm having involves the driveshafts. I am going to go with dual T/C BUT I can't afford to do it right now. This means that I will have to change the driveshafts not once, but twice. I realize this is not the best way to go but it's what I'm stuck with. So anyway, I need to know what your guys' opinion would be as to the cheapest way to do this. Should I just get my driveshafts resized, or should I look for donor driveshafts that would normally be behind the W56? What do you think this is going to cost me?

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. This board has made this buildup process SO much easier and I really value everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Elliot
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Any suggestions regarding the driveshafts?? Engine will be ready this weekend... what's the cheapest way to get this thing running. I should mention that I have now been without a car for over 2 months so I need this thing running asap!

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
oh man :yikes:  how much did you spend on that w56??  and why??  i mean  thats alot of driveshaft work  :ack:

ok  on to.....   besides the driveshafts  you will need to move the tcase crossmember back about 6 inches,  but  later if you go dual cases and L52HD   you might not have to do the drivelines again

slave should be the same

i strongly STRONGLY recommend  the Marlin NON ceramic  1200LB  clutch,  ive been running one for like 4 years  and has very little wear on it (just had the tranny and engine out)
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TRHS1980 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Okay, so I FINALLY got my engine! I plan on getting some small stuff out of the way tomorrow and then attacking it sunday. As far as smog stuff is concerned, I plan on running the PCV and EGR and keeping the charcoal canister. From my understanding I can remove the rest of the vacuum lines and smog crap without any problems. If this is correct then I assume I don't need the air pump anymore?? Also, is installing a crankcase breather worth it? I'll be running a weber carb. FYI I don't care about emissions since by the time I have to smog it again I should be out of California. I'm sure more stuff will come up before Sunday, I'll keep you guys posted and I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend. Thanks for the help!

Elliot