Author Topic: posible moving to california question  (Read 3369 times)

juancho

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Feb '05
  • www.miamicrawlers.com
    • View Profile
    • Miamicrawlers, my 4wheeler club in miami
posible moving to california question
« on: May 23, 2006, 07:40:43 PM »
It is 90% possible that I have to move from Miami to California for a new job. In Florida there is no emission, nor too many laws about bumper height or headlight height.
My questions is apart from the emissions (that really scares me) there is any advice about tire size, bumper height headlight height, or anything else that I have to be careful before moving to California and be legal as a daily driver?
My truck is a 95 4runner SR5 with 195,000 miles on the engine 37" tires, front stinger, costume rear bumper, peace setter header with a catalytic converter and a magnaflow muffler.
Any comment will be greatly appreciated. I have been researching a lot about adjusting the engine to pass emissions but I don't know about other stuff.
Thanks in advance
Juancho
"I understand the jeep thing, thats why I drive a toyota"
www.miamicrawlers.com

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: posible moving to california question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 07:46:15 PM »
Maximum frame height is 27 inches for vehicles up to 4500lbs GVWR, 30 inches from 4501-7000 and 31 inches from 7501-10,000.  Headlights can be no higher than 54 inches, measured to the center of the headlight; taillights no more than 72 inches.  Your vehicle cannot exceed an overall height of 14ft, including any load you may be carrying.  :thumbs: But usually, it's the emissions that'll kill you, unless you are moving into the sticks where there are no regulations, or you drive Bigfoot. 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »
if your rig looks nice you wont get messed with.. its all politics.   if you drive a ratted out rig you will get tickets.  my truck is pure wheeler and i finaly just took it off the road because i was tired of getting harrassed..
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 08:00:15 PM »
 :imwithstupid: of course the same is true no matter what you drive.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:00:30 PM »
I never had a problem driving mine in Roseville.  I wouldn't worry too much about that other stuff.  As long as you have mud flaps and you tires don't stick out too far from the body.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »
its all about the mudflaps

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »
as far as emissions goes, you probably wont have much to worry about, it is a vehicle currently registered for anotehr state, so it gets grandfathered into CA and doenst have to comply with the CA vehicle requirements for smog......

they have some crazy stupid trucks here, and the cops dont really mess with the lifted trucks as long as you dont drive like a moron and you have mudflaps
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 08:11:25 PM »
as far as emissions goes, you probably wont have much to worry about, it is a vehicle currently registered for anotehr state, so it gets grandfathered into CA and doenst have to comply with the CA vehicle requirements for smog......

Not entirely true,

juancho, your truck is probably a federal emissions vehicle, which means even if you move to CA, you only have to meet the fed emissions standards.  However, it is possible that it may me a CA emissions standard vehicle, in which case, it does have to meet the CA stadards.  As odd as it sounds, CA vehicles are all over the country, so you have to be careful :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 08:25:33 PM »
Not entirely true,

juancho, your truck is probably a federal emissions vehicle, which means even if you move to CA, you only have to meet the fed emissions standards.  However, it is possible that it may me a CA emissions standard vehicle, in which case, it does have to meet the CA stadards.  As odd as it sounds, CA vehicles are all over the country, so you have to be careful :thumbs:

thats what i meant to say.. if its from here and you detuned it, then it still has to pass the stricter standards here..... however as bd said, if it was a fed vehicle, then it jsut has to pass the federal standard which is more lienient than the CA

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

elliotsan

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 08:33:55 PM »
im an expert on al of the height rugulations and other bs like that, but from experience, the mud flap issue is going to kill you
Pin it to win it

juancho [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • www.miamicrawlers.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 08:35:36 PM »
thanks for all the coments. the tires on my truck stick out from the body but with the buswaker fender flares they look flush to the fenders.
I will attach some pictures so you can see it. it is in very good condition on the outside. so it will be a nice looking truck on the streets.
www.miamicrawlers.com

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 08:38:25 PM »
that truck wont get pulled over around here, or at least where i am, its not gaudy or huge enough...... you will get pulled over in an instance though for no mudflaps and driving crazy (if you do)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 08:39:16 PM »
Clean rig!! You should be fine out here.

juancho [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • www.miamicrawlers.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 08:42:58 PM »
And for the emissions, at the beginning I will have my Florida tag but consequently I will have to change it to a California tag.
You have no idea how crazy is the emissions here in Miami. No body cares, even the cops. Everybody take catalytic converter’s and egr's off there trucks and cars to have more power.
www.miamicrawlers.com

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »
cali isn't that bad with the height thing...well in so cal it isn't. cops follow me all the time but that's only because they think my truck is stolen. i live in a really nice area and my truck isn't so nice. they run the plates and realized im from the area, all is good. i have 3.5" lift running on 33's, no mud flaps, tires stick out about 4", sometimes the doors are off. i have no problems really. only time was when i got pulled over because i had no front plate ( but the cop really pulled me over to buy my truck! ). another time the girl cop pulled up next to me and told me to fix my head light or turn on the high beams. "it's better to blind people then to not beable to see" was what she told me....funnny :pokinit:
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 09:49:20 PM »
That looks more like an 85 and not a 95  :yesnod:
looks nice and clean  :biggthumpup:
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 09:52:05 PM »
That looks more like an 85 and not a 95  :yesnod:
looks nice and clean  :biggthumpup:
hmmm
 :headscratch:

I didn't even catch that he said 95 in his 1st post!

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 10:38:27 PM »
that thing will be fine.  if anything you will have to put on a smog legal header with the carb sticker and some mudflaps but i wouldn't worry about it cuz the tickets are usually free or $10 ive had quite a few but I drive like an ass and alot of the time my truck looks like one

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 10:53:15 PM »
oh yeah, be preparred that everything in CA costs way more than everywhere else in the country.......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 10:54:56 PM »
so jim your yankin it?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
so jim your yankin it?

yup, i yank about 60,000 pounds of it at 1 time......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »
Easy way to check your vehicle smog requirements, open your hood and look at the tag on the underside of the hood. It will tell you if your truck is Cal smog legal or Federal smog legal, odds are it will be Cal. Regardless of your modifications you MUST meet the standard issued to the vehicle originally. All parts MUST be street legal there is no grandfathering just because you could have them in the state you came from. In fact you cannot even participate in some of the programs the state has to help you pass even if you qualify for those programs until you have initially registered the vehicle in California. They are real pissy about out of state vehicles when it comes to smogging. You will be required to have the truck inspected, they will check your vin, brakes, signals, etc, etc. If you are an AAA member you can have it all done by them at any AAA office, if you are not a member become at least for this process you will thank me later. As for the lift, as long as you have the rock protection/flaps-flares you should be ok your truck looks like it is within legal limits. Try to have as much time of current reg in Florida so you will have the time to make any corrections to pass. You generally will not get messed with if your tags are current. When it gets close to expiring in Florida then start the process you will get tempory registration  here.

Most importantly stay in Florida or anywhere else, you will thank me later.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:00:45 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »
I found out I could have kept a Jeep I had tagged in Washington, and I could get the registrations renewed online every year. I live in Fresno, CA now.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »
I found out I could have kept a Jeep I had tagged in Washington, and I could get the registrations renewed online every year. I live in Fresno, CA now.

You are in the military, non-resident student or a non-resident senior, because if you are refering to that Washington will renew your reg for you online it does not fly in Cali. There are units specially assigned to get residents with out of state plates. Just don't look at my Camry with AZ. plates.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 03:15:29 PM »
My ex girlfriend had her car still tagged in Washington when she moved down here, and she didn't want to mess with all the smog test stuff, and just changed her address to the on here, and paid for her tags on-line. And in the mail they came. I don't think that California would like that, but they don't seem too concerned. When i moved to Washington, I was pulled over a couple of times the first month I was there to see if i was going to register in Washington. It was un-real!

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 03:50:32 PM »
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm,  & removing the cat is illegal in any state.  If you go to the California (cantaffordya) home page there is a link to turn in your neighbors with out of state plates, when I brought a truck from AZ I was reminded constantly by the cops that I had 10 days to register in CA.  I think that smog will not be a big issue as long as you have all of your emissions equipment in place and functional, they have referee stations that you can go to to help you transition smog wise

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:57:13 AM »
Maximum frame height is 27 inches for vehicles up to 4500lbs GVWR, 30 inches from 4501-7000 and 31 inches from 7501-10,000.  Headlights can be no higher than 54 inches, measured to the center of the headlight; taillights no more than 72 inches.  Your vehicle cannot exceed an overall height of 14ft, including any load you may be carrying.  :thumbs: But usually, it's the emissions that'll kill you, unless you are moving into the sticks where there are no regulations, or you drive Bigfoot. 
not entirly true, up here in northern ca, the chp has a hard on for lifted runners. they say 4 runners are passenger vehicles which means 23 inch frame height, even though it is registered as a comercial vehicle(truck)

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 04, 2006, 09:09:57 AM »
not entirly true, up here in northern ca, the chp has a hard on for lifted runners. they say 4 runners are passenger vehicles which means 23 inch frame height, even though it is registered as a comercial vehicle(truck)

Here in PA, my 4Runner is considered a Station Wagon.  LOL
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod: