Author Topic: Leaking t-case, probably front oil seal?  (Read 1164 times)

la bomba

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Leaking t-case, probably front oil seal?
« on: May 13, 2006, 06:46:56 PM »
Greetings,

First off, let me say that I am an absolute newb at mechanics.  Basically, I'm learning at the same rate that my truck breaks down, which is way too often.

Two weeks ago, and with some help, I just did a timing chain guide replacement, and replaced a rear main seal in my 83' pickup.  Also, a  new :turtle: clutch was put in since the old one was soaked in motor oil.  A couple days ago I came out of the house to find a puddle under my truck. #@$%^#%#@$@$@#!!

Thought we had messed up the seal installation, but I discovered it wasn't coming from anywhere near the bellhousing.  After getting a flashlight and banging my head a few times, I think I finally found the source of my trouble.  The puddle seems to be transmission fluid leaking out of my t-case.  I saw where it was coming from and after learning some t-case lingo, I found it out it was the front retainer.  Also found out that there's an oil seal right behind it.  I'm assuming that's where the leak's coming from.  Maybe in replacing the rear main we banged it around or something?!?! Or it was just wear and tear and just a coincidence.

Haney's says to drop the t-case and tranny.  If it's just the oil seal, can't I just drop the driveline, flange, and replace the seal, while still on the truck?

Also, my rear driveshaft has vertical give coming out of my t-case.  Not much, but it's noticeable, this normal?

I live about 6 minutes from the shop, I'm tempted to bring it in and let someone there at least look at it, if it looks like that's necessary.

Any input is much appreciated.  If any more information is neeed, I will gladly give it.

la bomba [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking t-case, probably front oil seal?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:01:54 AM »
Upon further thinkin', is the t-case too delicate of an item and I should just get a rebuilt one from Marlin?  I'll admit going from 2.28 to 4.7 would be nice, but funds are a little tight right now.