Author Topic: PROJECT: Abnormaltoy  (Read 3380 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
PROJECT: Abnormaltoy
« on: May 08, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »
Today, for the first time in a year or so, I had my truck out of the garage so I could turn it around. I figured, what better time to share some photos.

It started out life as an ’85, 22r. In phase 1 of the project I installed an 5 inch AOR lift which moved the front axle forward 3 inches, OTT steering, a 4Crawler 2 inch body lift.
After driving it around for a year I dumped the box, Moved the rear axle forward 6 3/8 inches, frenched my rear hangers and lowered the shackle end of the rear by the same amount that the front end was raised. 1 year and 8 months ago I bought the stuff to put duals and a 4.7 gear in…I just installed it a couple of weeks ago. I cut out the front and rear cross members and replaced them with 3x5x1/4 tubing and put 2 receivers in each. The receivers will mount a winch that can go from front to rear, D rings or a tow bar.
I’m putting an 88 22re, from a dear departed 4Runner, in. I have an SDS fuel and ignition system.  The engine was brand-freakin’ new, when I was rear ended at a stop light a couple of years ago. It’s been bored to 94mm. It’s got an LCE EFI Pro head, cam, timing chain conversion and adjustable gears. It has about 11:1 compression. I also have an LCE header, but I really want to try my hand a making my own. I’ve done a little reading on www.headersbyed.com and I’d like to make something that might not have as many compromises as most mass-produced headers do. I might have to move the front springs rearward a bit, ‘cause they never have seemed to sit right at the shackle.
My next step is to take the front springs off and swap them around…the last time I had them off, I put them back on the wrong side, so the truck sits a little funny. Then it’s on to the cage. I thought long and hard, but I just can’t see an exo. I just don’t see how you could make it as strong plus then you’ve added catch points to the truck.
Well, that’s about it for now. Blast away.
Mark
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 05:26:28 PM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: PROJECT: Abnormaltoy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 05:21:53 PM »
:eyecrazy:  i need some visine  after reading all that
:thud:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 05:24:40 PM »
:eyecrazy:  i need some visine  after reading all that
:thud:

Hey, I used periods, commas and I didn't make it one HUGE paragraph!!!

I do tend towards the long winded side sometime! But, I love this truck. I feel like a kid when ever I look at it.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 06:04:18 PM »
Are those Glass works Fenders? They just dont look stock.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 06:11:40 PM »
Are those Glass works Fenders? They just dont look stock.

How do I know it's the real John Doe?

They're stock. I just cut out most of the insides.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:28:15 PM »
I knew they were atleast modifed. It just looked like there was a slight buldge to them, so I assumed  :hammerhead:

The real John Doe, is someone impersinating me?
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

1Bad4Runner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »
Very clean truck! I likes :thumbs:
89' 4Runner || Everythings Gone!! for now.
97' 4Runner, 2.7, Auto - Daily Driver

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 08:03:15 PM »
Very clean truck! I likes :thumbs:

Thanks! It's getting there.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »
Looking good Mark.  :thumbs:I think that is the first pic I have ever seen of it.  Did you have any trouble with the duals? I got to test mine out sat. Works freaking aawesome.  Now hurry up and get it done so we can go wheelin. :driving:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:56:09 PM »
Looking good Mark.  :thumbs:I think that is the first pic I have ever seen of it.  Did you have any trouble with the duals? I got to test mine out sat. Works freaking aawesome.  Now hurry up and get it done so we can go wheelin. :driving:

Seeing as there's not more that one foot of the wiring left, I haven't run the thing. So all I could do was run through the gears and make sure everything felt right. The biggest thing I had was waiting for the parts I normally would've gotten from the donor case...Got a BIG ole hole in my floor now since I raised everything as far as I could.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 10:07:07 PM »
Dang, me likey a lot :yupyup: .  Are those AR23 or sendel wheels?  I totally dig the baja styles like that, and love the way the truck looks/sits.  Sounds like you have everything pretty much figured out, and from what I've gathered you're a pretty technical guy, so I'm guessing it's going to all come out working well.  I'll be really interested to see what you do for a header, cause I've wanted to build one for a while too, just don't really have the means.  Keep it up man :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 10:09:02 PM »
Moved the rear axle forward 6 3/8 inches

I was lookin at the pic thinkin it just wasn't long enough to be an extra cab :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 10:19:11 PM »
Dang, me likey a lot :yupyup: .  Are those AR23 or sendel wheels?  I totally dig the baja styles like that, and love the way the truck looks/sits.  Sounds like you have everything pretty much figured out, and from what I've gathered you're a pretty technical guy, so I'm guessing it's going to all come out working well.  I'll be really interested to see what you do for a header, cause I've wanted to build one for a while too, just don't really have the means.  Keep it up man :thumbs:

I'm pretty much making it up as I go.  :confused: I forget who makes the wheels...I think it was Panther (PCW) or something. Headersbyed gives a lot of info. If I could do what I want, more torque, with just a header I might get away from the dream of a supercharger and just go up in compression.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 10:22:31 PM »
I was lookin at the pic thinkin it just wasn't long enough to be an extra cab :headscratch:

I think (I hope) I just got more weight over the rears by, in effect, moving everything aft. Plus when I frenched my hangers I changed the rear pinion angle for the better...now it's almost a straight shot to the t-case flange.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)