Author Topic: need advice before buying  (Read 2184 times)

paradiseyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
need advice before buying
« on: May 02, 2006, 07:04:04 PM »
i am new too this whole rock crawling thing and after market parts. i found a rig that is ready to crawl and the guy is selling it for 8k. It is a 4 runner that i am in love with, however someone has told me that it is not worth nearly the asking price. It sounded like a deal to me, but maybe i am wrong...i am still learning the ins and outs of customized and after market parts. Go to     "rigs for sale" and go to my topic  " looking for a "ready to crawl yota".    thanks for your imput and opinion.

this is the third topic i posted on three different forums....people are going to start hating on me... sorry about this. iam kind of new to this whole forum talk thing. :smack:
BuD

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Re: need advice before buying
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »
what year/specs?  i might know  the rig..
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

paradiseyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 07:29:25 PM »
all the info is under: "rigs for sale" and then go to "looking to buy ready to crawl yota"
BuD

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:30:25 PM »
(1) dual crawler box - find out what type of gears (Advanced Adapters, Marlin Crawler or Inchworm & reduction.

(2) dana44 f/r - I would prefer a truck with stock Toy axles but others might not agree

(3) true trac (F), full spool (R) - Limited-slip isn't the best off-road and a spool isn't ideal for on-road.

Overall, the truck looks nice, but the price tag seems a little high in my opinion.  I thing you could get one much closer to stock and build a nice rig for less money.  I don't see many "high dollar" mods to warrant the price, but a trucks value is whatever it is worth to you.  It would probably be a fun truck.

I would suggest getting one closer to stock and learning to drive and you build.  There isn't much point in having a truck that is more capable that the driver and there is a learing curve in crawling.

My biggest reason for not purchasing the truck would be the non-Toyota axles and associated parts, but that doesn't mean that they are not quality parts.  
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
My advice is, DONT.  Nothing against the seller, I know nothing about him or his rig.  It seems like a decent rig, I wouldn't say it was worth 8K, but then again, its worth what people'll pay.
[

I would suggest getting one closer to stock and learning to drive and you build.  There isn't much point in having a truck that is more capable that the driver and there is a learing curve in crawling.

:werd:  The learning curve is HUGE in wheelin'.  If you stick around, and look at some other people's rigs, you'll find that the driver's skill carries a lot of weight in wheelin.  I would recommend purchasing a near stock rig, and building it :yupyup:  then, as your wheelin experience grows, (and your wallet) you can mod your truck as you see fit, and wind up with a rig that you have personally built to suit your specific needs :thumbs:  just my :twocents:

you mentioned that you had your truck stolen, but I also recall that you recovered it?  Why sell it?  Why not fix it and run with it :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:15 PM »
I say without a doubt don't buy that thing.  anyone that puts a dana 44 under the rear of a 4 runner should not be allowed to do suspension work to it.  If he somehow got the idea that he should put in those axles imagine what else he might have thought was a good idea.  If you do buy it don't pay more than $3000.  my advice is to go on pirate 4x4 and look for a rig.  There are much better built toys on there all the time for 4000-6000

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »
Paradise thank you for posting this to back up my comments to you. I'm just looking out for you bud, I dont want you stuck with something you really dont want!

I searched for close to a YEAR before I found what I wanted, only because I did a crap load of research to make sure what I was looking for was proper to my needs.

As everyone else has said, no offense to the seller what so ever but in my OPINION, for 8K you can get something much more reliable and capable. Check your PM box I gave you a bit more info. As Blackdiamond said, A toyota axle is much stronger and if your looking for width get some spacers...

That is my opinion though. I'm sure some would disagree.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

johnny_boy02

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 105
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 02:51:30 AM »
The 4runner is clean and semi built, dont get me wrong its a nice ride, Just not my style. Stock runners that clean are selling for $3500-4500 around here(nor-cal) Dude if I were you I would pay max $6000, and that is only if you are in love with it. Keep shopping, look for something with more mainstream parts. i am looking for a 4runner or extcab truck also I will keep an eye for you. And whoever said look on Pirate is right, even thogh there is nothing on there now.

Edit: I went back and looked at the rig you are talkin about again. And again I say its a nice ride. And its a little different. i like different, different is cool/ I still would not pay 8k for it. But im hammered so what do I know.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:04:38 AM by johnny_boy02 »

rick80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »
sorry , but that runner is not worth $8000 he is out of his mind  :hammerhead:
do not buy it
for example "fireballs runner is for sale he only asking 10,400"
 it's 100 times better and I think it has not sold for that amount yet
just take a look. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=21534.0

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 08:32:30 AM »
no doubt..  and jasons runner is worth every cent of that 10,400
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 09:34:52 AM »
I recently posted a wanted add over on Pirate for a buddy who was looking for a built 1st gen Runner in the 8 to 10K range. One of the replies I received was from a shop in NoCal. The shop would build the rig to the owners specs (and they would locate and include the Runner) in that $ range. I passed the info along to my friend who called the shop to confirm the deal. I believe the shop is called Dave's Offroad (I'll try to confirm this and give you a link). :)   

My friend ended up buying a Runner here in SoCal that he is going to pickup this weekend.  :clap2:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:43:44 AM by Shoyrtt »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/