Author Topic: "Gas War" to bring prices down, best Idea I've heard yet  (Read 7260 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
"Gas War" to bring prices down, best Idea I've heard yet
« on: Apr 17, 2006, 08:46:01 AM »
Hey guys, my sister just sent me this and I wanted to share it.

----------------------------------------------
GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap.  Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.  It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at lea st ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
----------------------------------------------

So there it is. The funny thing for me is that not only have I NEVER bought gas from Mobil, but I don't even know where a Mobil gas station is ? I have seen them but I couldn't tell you where to find one. They must not be a big thing on the west coast perhaps? So I went to http://exxonmobil.com/Siteflow/Brands/Master_Brand_Page.asp to see what brands they are, and This Gas War includes not buying gas from Mobil, Exxon, and Esso Gas Stations

I personally run Shell in my truck, so I am already participating in this Gas War :thumbs:

Spread the word!!
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
what oil company runs chevron?  :dunno: thats all i run but if its exxon or mobile i wont fill up there anymore.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I usually run Arco..... But I'll pass the word anyway :thumbs: :crossed:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
i use shell gas.I'll pass the word around.we dont have many exxon or mobil gas stations in the north bay.  Thanks Mike
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I love ya BigMike, and believe me, I wish it were this easy but :idiot:  :psss:  one word:  "snopes"

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Claim:   Boycotting a couple of gasoline brands will bring overall gas prices down.

To summerize:

A boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline won't result in lower overall prices. Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal" (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand. The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the service station operator, who has almost no control over the price of gasoline.

The only practical way of reducing gasoline prices is through the straightforward means of buying less gasoline, not through a simple and painless scheme of just shifting where we buy it. The inconvenience of driving less is a hardship too many people apparently aren't willing to endure, however.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
a friend of mine  drives a gasoline tanker,  now he works for a company that transports for Fina,  however  he told me recently  after i saw him unloading at the exxon station in town, that the exxon transport company couldnt handle the demand  so the exxon transport company bought gas from them.  the Fina distributor gets there gas about 40 miles away pumped from railcars  from texas,   exxon gets theres from 200 miles away from a distribution point in louisianna  so logistically  its cheaper to get the Fina gas here,
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I don't tend to buy at any 'name brand' station. Usually Cumberland Farm is the cheapest by us, I think it's Citgo gas.
Shell, or Exxon are going to be the highest around us, and I wouldn't pay more for any fuel.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I am all for $0.99/gal like is was when I was your age (when I was in highschool)...

It's garbage, we are paying 3 times as much as we used to go drive around town or on vacation.. If it gets up to $4/gal, then I'm just fortunate I own a motorcycle.

4THEWKN

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 226
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Mickey Bomb's Rock!
    • View Profile
Just back from the Caribbean.  Puerta Rico about $1.10 per Gallon.  The Island of Gernada about .08 Cents A Lt. or around .25 cents a gallon.  Seems  to me this happen once before in the USA. And there was a little party  the in  USA had call "The Boston Tea Party"!!!
Rock Rash: It's all mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter!!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Diane  is gonna  scream at this one but i personally feel Bush/Cheney  being oil men  are our biggest problem

Cheney made over $9,000,000  last year,  yes  9 million a year
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Diane  is gonna  scream at this one but i personally feel Bush/Cheney  being oil men  are our biggest problem

Cheney made over $9,000,000  last year,  yes  9 million a year

Here's a little bit on that subject...
Vice President and Mrs. Cheney released their 2005 federal income tax return today. The return shows that the Cheneys owe federal taxes for 2005 of $529,636 on taxable income of $1,961,157. The Cheneys' adjusted gross income in 2005 was $8,819,006 which was largely the result of the exercise by an independent gift administrator of stock options that had been irrevocably set aside in 2001 for charity. The Cheneys donated $6,869,655 to charity in 2005 from the exercise of these stock options under the terms of the Gift Administration Agreement and from Mrs. Cheney's book royalties from Simon & Schuster on her books America: A Patriotic Primer, A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Woman, and When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots. As provided in the Gift Administration Agreement, gifts were made to three designated charities named in that Agreement. The Cheneys' return was filed on March 20, 2006.

The link to the rest of the story is
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/04/20060414-2.html

Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Unfortunately there are only a few things that will bring fuel prices down.
  Oil is traded on a speculative basis. When there is uncertainty, prices go up on the open market. Things like a mad man in Iran having nukes causes…uncertainty. Chavez down in Venezuela, although much less likely to cause WW3, still rattles the “markets” nerves. Both countries are in the top ten oil producers.
    Produce more oil. Supply and demand. Remove obstacles to accessing oil that we know we have.
   Open more refineries. Stop the nuisance law suits that prevent refineries from being built.
   Use less oil.
   You can rant and rave all day long about how “BIG OIL” is screwing the little guy. But we’re really doing it to ourselves. Whether crude is $70 or $35 a barrel Exxon/Mobil’s profit margin will stay about the same. The profit margin of most oil companies is actually a little below average for businesses. It just seems astronomical because reporting a profit of 2 billion dollars on sales of 20 billion is the same as profits of 1 billion dollars on sales of 10 billion, it just sound worse. If the raw material costs go up, the price of the end products go up accordingly. People say “Well, nobody needs to make that much money”…if you own a business at what point do you say “I’ve made enough for this year, I think I’ll cut prices.”? It’s the scale of the question that is daunting.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

OffRoadGal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Female Posts: 419
  • Member since Jan '05
  • you feelin lucky, punk?
    • View Profile
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

:cheer:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
Well I feel our gas money is going to the wrong things.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1841989&page=1

April 14, 2006— Soaring gas prices are squeezing most Americans at the pump, but at least one man isn't complaining.

Last year, Exxon made the biggest profit of any company ever, $36 billion, and its retiring chairman appears to be reaping the benefits.

Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes.

Last November, when he was still chairman of Exxon, Raymond told Congress that gas prices were high because of global supply and demand.

"We're all in this together, everywhere in the world," he testified.

Raymond, however, was confronted with caustic complaints about his compensation.

"In 2004, Mr. Raymond, your bonus was over $3.6 million," Sen. Barbara Boxer said.

That was before new corporate documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission that revealed Raymond's retirement deal and his $51.1 million paycheck in 2005. That's equivalent to $141,000 a day, nearly $6,000 an hour. It's almost more than five times what the CEO of Chevron made.

"I think it will spark a lot of outrage," said Sarah Anderson, a fellow in the global economy program at the Institute for Policy Studies, an independent think tank. "Clearly much of his high-level pay is due to the high price of gas."

Exxon defends Raymond's compensation, pointing out that during the 12 years he ran the company, Exxon became the largest oil company in the world and that the stock price went up 500 percent.

A company spokesman said the compensation package reflected "a very long and distinguished career."

Some Exxon shareholders are now trying to pass resolutions criticizing the company's executive pay policies. The company is urging other shareholders to vote against those resolutions.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Well I feel our gas money is going to the wrong things.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1841989&page=1

April 14, 2006— Soaring gas prices are squeezing most Americans at the pump, but at least one man isn't complaining.

Last year, Exxon made the biggest profit of any company ever, $36 billion, and its retiring chairman appears to be reaping the benefits.

Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes.

Last November, when he was still chairman of Exxon, Raymond told Congress that gas prices were high because of global supply and demand.

"We're all in this together, everywhere in the world," he testified.

Raymond, however, was confronted with caustic complaints about his compensation.

"In 2004, Mr. Raymond, your bonus was over $3.6 million," Sen. Barbara Boxer said.

That was before new corporate documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission that revealed Raymond's retirement deal and his $51.1 million paycheck in 2005. That's equivalent to $141,000 a day, nearly $6,000 an hour. It's almost more than five times what the CEO of Chevron made.

"I think it will spark a lot of outrage," said Sarah Anderson, a fellow in the global economy program at the Institute for Policy Studies, an independent think tank. "Clearly much of his high-level pay is due to the high price of gas."

Exxon defends Raymond's compensation, pointing out that during the 12 years he ran the company, Exxon became the largest oil company in the world and that the stock price went up 500 percent.

A company spokesman said the compensation package reflected "a very long and distinguished career."

Some Exxon shareholders are now trying to pass resolutions criticizing the company's executive pay policies. The company is urging other shareholders to vote against those resolutions.

Yeah, that sort of thing chafes my loins too. But that’s not just the oil industry. The CEO of the company I just quit got a package worth potentially 25 million dollars…the same year they laid of 1500 employees in Tucson alone, the business has been in a tail spin ever since. I guarantee the CEOs of Ford and GM get/got a similar deal.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
 :popcorn:   

It's a sorry world, indeed.

Where is the Mammoth?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I generally purchase Shell or on occasion 76 or Texaco/Chevron, but I'm not planning to give up my Mobil 1 motor oil.

ExxonMobil brands include the following:

Exxon, Mobil, Esso, Speedpass & On the Run
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

I'm not saying that I agree in any way with the retirement package, but $400 million is probably about the same as most normal companies giving a $1 million package.  I really doubt that it has a significant impact on the price at the pumps.

Personally I gave up looking at pump prices.  I figure that I have bigger things to worry about, but it did bug me when I filled my Tundra with premium, on accident out of habbit from my 85, and it was over $70.   
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I've given up looking at or sweating gas prices at this point as well.

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
it just shouldnt be allowed ,  if you have to lay off employees  because your hurting so bad, then give your execs a 20 million bonus,  you should go to jail

give that 20 million back to the company so you can keep your employees working

and the billions of dollars  the exxon guys made after katrina,  when they claimed to be hurting so bad,  they should be hung from a tall tree with a short rope,  take a long walk off a short pier, take a fast corner in a sammy  with 44's, take a bone from a starving pitbull, tell a italian woman she cant cook,   give me a minute to :think:   i'll have some more

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Why are you getting all worked up about it?  All it is going to do is raise your blood pressure and cause health problems. Then the doctors and hospitals are going to get the rest.

Give it up already and get on with your life.

Hell you could hold up a sign on the corner and live under an overpass. You wouldn't need gas or oil, you wouldn't pay taxes and would have more money than you could spend.

So let's all just keep plugging along and try to make it on our own instead of saying " if only things were cheaper like they were back when" Face it, it will never ever be like it was period.

So move on there isn't anything to see here.

"By the way, if, by some chance, you folks do manage to straighten things out and make everything better, I still don't wish to be included." (George Carlin ,Brain Droppings)
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
My family has been in the oil business for 4 generations.  My great grandfather started as a roughneck in western Kansas. My father works for a company that makes pipe for oil wells.  My grandma owns a small oil company in southern IL. I am also part owner of my own oil company. You have to think about the little guy you're hurting too.  It is not cheap to drill a well.  Many are dry holes. Complete losses. Plus theres taxes out the ass, lease payments, EPA fines, drilling costs, etc. I could go on.  A lot of the oil these large companies obtain is bought from the independent driller domestically. The oil basically comes from the same places.  If one distributor not up to demand they source it from another one, increasing the price mostly because of transportation cost. Oil is not cheap to transport.
     But you're not just hurting the owner of the company. There's a lot of other people that rely on the industry as well. Roughnecks, operators, geologists, accountants, leasees, suppliers, etc. Face it, gas prices ARE NOT GOING DOWN. They never will. Oil runs the world. It causes wars and divides the planet but we all need it to survive.  It will only get more expensive to drill the wells too as resources are tapped and eco-nazis attack.  I don't really want to get into this but just thought I would share a different viewpoint to stir things up. hehehehe :greengrin:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
I love ya BigMike, and believe me, I wish it were this easy but :idiot:  :psss:  one word:  "snopes"

Party pooper  :pokinit:
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
gas prices will drop, but only if the demand for them severely decreases.
2 ways to do that:
1. make mass transportation for the entire US and now China. (very unlikely to happen in the southern/western US because everything is so spread out. but it does work in the North East)
2. begin mass production of alternative fuels such as biodiesel and ethanol (dont tell me biodiesel is expensive to make, i used to make my own for 50 cents a gallon). biodiesel can be mass produced from fresh vegetables. the US is basicly the farm of the world, we have the ability to provide food for the majority of the world with current crop yield abilities, yet we pay farmers to substatially limit their production. why not give them the same money to produce more corn and other vegetables that are used to make vegetable oil? ethanol is made from corn as well, so y not do what i mentioned in the last sentence?

the second alternative would allow the US to make enough fuel for almost every car in the country, if not all of them. extremely clean, minimal power loss from your motor (most cars lose around 10-15hp with either ethanol or biodiesel, but varies), and helps the farmers of the united states. oil would still be needed for lubrication, as well as other petrolium based products. but would drop the demand for oil back to a reasonable level.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
the demand for oil could possibly be sustained by oil reserves that are left within the united states, relieving the US of our oil slavery to the middle east.

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
If it gets up to $4/gal, then I'm just fortunate I own a motorcycle.

:thumbs: you and me both sister!  I'm gonna stock up on a couple of sets of track take offs cheap off ebay and ride my bike whenever possible!  35mpg average, and around 40 if I stay out of it!  I bet you're getting close to 1.5 times that on yours though, and your tires are easily half as expensive!  I will add though, OWNING a bike already makes this a good venture, but BUYING a bike for the sake of saving money on gas is total backward thinking!  Mine (and probably Mike's) is long since paid off, so any gas savings I see are close to true savings, but if I were to go and buy a bike to save gas then I'm out the price of the bike, so it would have to be calculated into the initial gas savings and mileage over time to see when you technically start "saving" money.  Just thought I'd throw it out there.  I kinda miss my old f2 now, 50-55mpg was nice!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
my 71 cb100 is payed off, running, will be street legal once i get a new kickstart spring installed and bike inspected. other than that i would need a license (no time or money right now) and insurance (parents wont let me ride until i am financially independent.)

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
1. make mass transportation for the entire US and now China. (very unlikely to happen in the southern/western US because everything is so spread out. but it does work in the North East)

The only problem with mass transit is cost. If you live on Long island and travel to the city it can cost $350 a month just to get to work. It's closer to $400 if you're in CT.
I know a couple of guys out here that make their own Bio D...they all swear by it.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)