Author Topic: Turn around don't drown!  (Read 2992 times)

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
Turn around don't drown!
« on: Apr 16, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
I was riding with my buddy matt in his MR2 and we were driving around out side of chico on these long strait roads through orchards and stuff with nate in his STi, Hans in his big ol ford and matts friend in his annother MR2.
On the way we saw these signs blocking the road

warning about flooding and we kinda figured they were old cause it hadnt rained in a few days since the place we were supposed to meet some people was about the same level as where we were, but we were still kinda carefull at first, but we go to this place to meet up and no one else is there so we start to back track and Hans and nate go ahead further away from town while we stopped to take this pic, then we got in the car and left to try and catch Hans and Nate.

So we're just going and we see 2 cars pulled off up ahead, and we realize its not them and we are wondering where they are. So we go around another sign, crest a small hill and, oh, weird, we see 80 feet of water about 30 feet in front of us.............

Now Im not sure what matt did I think he just froze and let off I don't think he even hit the brakes which I dont blame him because if you are ever doing some where around 70 mph and see a river 30 feet ahead then you'll understand. Even still I think we both thought that it was probally about foot deep. So obviously we hit the water and hydroplaned about 60 feet, stopped, and floated left into a small tree.

So we rolled down the window and climed out and sat on the roof wondering how deep the water really was, the whole time matt kept saying something like, my car's totaled over and over. The guys behind us stop in time get out and I guess they started to take thier shirts off to jump in and save us, which I didnt realize till later, (thanks guys) but we told them we were ok, so luckly they didn't have to freeze thier butt off like we did.

So we hear Nate and Hans pull up and we start yelling for hans to come get us, we waited for a sec then Matt was like well we better start walking, so we grab our  cell phones and wallets and climb off into waist deep water and I start walking on the road while matt was to my right, after about 15 feet I look over and matt is neck deep barly able to keep from being swept away because the wind was making some nasty currents.

So I am like, "are you ok?" Hes says "uhh, could you take my phone and camera" so I take a few steps toward him and feel the road taper down about 1 foot, so I grab his hand and save his life real quick, lol. (he later told me he couldnt touch the ground! :o)
About that time hans pulls his truck in with some people in the bed so we climb in.

We go all the way through turn around and pull toward the car and figure out how we are gonna hook the one toe strap and chain with no hooks to both cars, which also didn't have hooks.
 So after about 20 mins of thinking, matt goes over and and trys to find something under the 3 feet of cold  water I went to help him and ended up diving completly under water, only to find nothing decent to hook it to.

We are sitting there then I'm like duh just hook it around the spoke of his rim! So we did and then went over to try and figure out how to hook the chain to the ford, I get it around the leaf spring and try to use a hook to hook the both together, no way,
 so we are searching hans bed for anything and trying to think of what to do, and hans is like heres this, and nate hands me a keychain caribeaner and says its worth a try, I am thinking, wow ummm......then someone notices matt has the same on attaching his keys to his his belt loop, and some one says hey double them, for some reason, probably having to do with his nice car that he just got finiched not that long ago being sunk up to the window sills, matt says "well I dont want to loose my keys..." I told him that maybe we could take the chance, lol.

So we got this car that is pretty much under water and we got to pull the full force of it through 2 f#$^^&g key chains. Its all hooked up and I tell matt he should probably get in and atleast attempt to steer. he says its ok. So we tell hans to go and we are all just waiting for the key chains to break well it starts to move kinda toward the road but kida stays in the ditch, water starts coming over the deck lid, and it's heading toward where matt was neck deep in water, it starts to sink a bunch on one side and tip up on the other because of the current,
the car disapears for a sec and all we see is the lights, matts says stop, and luckly hans looked back and desided against it and gave it more gas,it pops up still way tilted, (luckly we had it hooked on that wheel, cause Id bet $1000 if it was hooked in the middle it would have flipped, broke the key chains and been swept away) then kinda gets on the road and by then we were pretty much out of the water. About then I look down and see the keychains spread out like 2",
It had to have been a miracle they didnt break. After that we towed the car to Matts friends in chico and went home,
 and as I am writing this it still doesnt seem real. lol

Oh and atleast we got the whole extraction on tape!
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2006, 10:58:56 AM by rEdnECkwHeE1eR »
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Don't drown, turn around!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2006, 11:00:26 AM »
wow, that's crazy.  :o  You're lucky it didn't turn out any worse then it did. That's like something you see on those rescue shows.  :ack:

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Turn around don't drown!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2006, 11:35:56 AM »
You Dumbasses! what the hell were you thinking...oh I forgot, you weren't. At least you're all ok! :headshake:
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2006, 12:45:49 PM »
:headshake:

jeff all i have to say is,  :idiot:   
 but im glad all came out alive  :therethere:

and wait a minute,  your profile says your 18,  youve been on this forum for like 4 years  :eek:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »
Well at least Darwinism didn't kick in, you survived to try selection again. :rofl2:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2006, 01:00:28 PM »
 :funny:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2006, 01:23:10 PM »
Ya ya ya, I'm sure you were 18 at one time it was probably before cars were around though so stuff like this couldn't happen :moon: besides I wasn't driving anyway :dunno:

Ya when you think about it something about driving around a big huge sign that says, ROAD CLOSED, TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN, FLOODED, BIG  :moon: RIVER GOING ACROSS THE ROAD 50 FEET AHEAD YOU IDIOTS, and such seems kinda stupid huh? :idea:

Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2006, 01:26:37 PM »
hey, you said it, i didn't.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
and then this one time, in band camp...

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2006, 04:09:25 PM »
Ya ya ya, I'm sure you were 18 at one time it was probably before cars were around though so stuff like this couldn't happen :moon: besides I wasn't driving anyway :dunno:

Ya when you think about it something about driving around a big huge sign that says, ROAD CLOSED, TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN, FLOODED, BIG  :moon: RIVER GOING ACROSS THE ROAD 50 FEET AHEAD YOU IDIOTS, and such seems kinda stupid huh? :idea:

:rofl:   

hey he should a gased it 

i once saw a VW bug going across Lake RayHubbard  in Dallas
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2006, 04:26:58 PM »
Good idea, Glen. Encourage dangerous behavior :slap: Doesn't anyone watch those weather channel storm story shows? You never know what you are going to find in what appears to be innocent standing water.

Where is the Mammoth?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2006, 04:56:31 PM »
I woulda floored it!  Glad you guys are ok, but it sounds like the car's a total loss!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
hey I DID see a VW bug  going across the lake :bat:

not sure how he steered  but had a prop on the end of the crankshaft,  :psss: VW's are rear engines ya know

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
I woulda floored it!  Glad you guys are ok, but it sounds like the car's a total loss!
sounds like he was already floored when he hit it.

Where is the Mammoth?

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2006, 06:13:52 PM »
Hey it works for mud don't it? Less resistance in water.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2006, 07:01:08 PM »
He said they were doing about 70 when they crested the hill and he didn't slow down before they hit the water. How much faster should he have been going?

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
He said they were doing about 70 when they crested the hill and he didn't slow down before they hit the water. How much faster should he have been going?

Mach 3 :cheese:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2006, 07:13:52 PM »
ya, i told him that he should have gassed it, that was the first thing I thought when I saw the water. It did hydroplane really well because of the mid(rearish) engine. And trust me he wasnt floored, its a 2nd gen with a big intercooler and T4 turbo, which is probably toast now since it was glowing red mins before that :o
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2006, 07:16:54 PM »
140  :dunno:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »
X2!  That car shoulda spooled up pretty quick!  The bug with the prop....his front tires!  They work as rudders, and are supposed to work pretty well.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 19, 2006, 01:10:42 PM »
i dont know about the bug engines but i had a 62 chevy corvair,  very similiar  to bugs,  rear mounted air cooled but instead of 4 cyl horizontal engine they were six's  twin carbs with a big turbine laying flat over the block to ram the aire thru the cooling fins, and exiting  on each side out the rear,  like dual exhaust,  i swooshed across a end of a pond one time and with the throttle wide open it pushed enough air to push me right on across