Author Topic: 86 4runner build EXO cage is under way  (Read 64626 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 4runner build
« Reply #60 on: Apr 01, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »
yuck, but its already better.

My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Apr 01, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »

should be plenty of room for 36s there

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Apr 01, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »
shackle angle was better after i drove it a bit

holy crap fender clearence  deffinetly ditching that 2" body lift.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Apr 01, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »
im not quite sure what to think about this much shock showing at ride height

yes this looks scary but they dont touch  and im still planning to move the steering box as forward as i can.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
i think im riding a bit high now, but once i get the new front bumper and winch up there and the springs get broken in i should lose at least an inch i would think

although i will gain at least an inch with new iroks...

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »
more flex pics...

tons of room at full stuff, even more reason to ditch the body lift.

springs look nice and flat and full stuff

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
im a little concerned about tire to leaf spring clearence, i already managed to get some contact with 35s... so i think i may need to get wider spacers to fix this.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
yuck, but its already better.
A can of black spray paint to take care of that yellow and it would look sweeeeeet! :gap:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:07:51 PM »
also me and my dad split a new toy!!!!!!  a miller 211 mig welder!!!!!!!!!!!

i certaintly wouldnt call them pretty or strong, but hey this was the first time i had ever touched a mig welder.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »
A can of black spray paint to take care of that yellow and it would look sweeeeeet! :gap:

what you dont like my paint scheme lol

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »
i have 6" of up travel and use all of it.  It looks like it flex's awesome!!
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »
i have 6" of up travel and use all of it.  It looks like it flex's awesome!!
yea im happy with my front flex, im still not done though, i have some 14" bilsteins to put up there along with new shock hoops and the rear im not happy with but it works pretty well so far.  Glad to hear that im not  the only one with 6" of up travel,  i think i read somewhere else that people where aiming for 3".. but maybe that was to fit 4ds

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
opinions anyone?  i want some feedback on the new front suspension

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 4runner build Figuring out drivelines.
« Reply #73 on: Apr 18, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
so with the new leaf springs my front driveshaft moves a grand total of 3inches from full compression to full extension, not what i expected at all.  its 38.25" at extention and 35.25" on compression.  Im a little confused why ive go so much less driveshaft movement now than i had before.  With the old set up i was using at least 6" of the travel and now im using 3".  The only thing i can think of that would cause this is that the angle of the driveline is so low now that it doesnt move forward and backward as much.  Anyone have any ideas?
I also found out that my front and rear drivelines are within 5" of each other, so im considering using the 10" travel slipyoke that i have to make my front and rear d-lines interchangeable.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 4runner build Figuring out drivelines.
« Reply #74 on: Apr 21, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
ordered some 36x13.50x15 iroks today, $967 from 4wheel parts!

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 4runner build got my IROKS!
« Reply #75 on: Apr 22, 2009, 07:04:17 PM »
picked up my iroks today, and total with mounting and balancing (not by 4wheelparts) i paid $1047  pretty good deal imo

I think i might need to do some trimming to fit them on the tacoma,  good thing they are going on my runner   :biggthumpup:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #76 on: Apr 22, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
i bet theyd fit on the taco! you outta throw one on the rear haha...

lets see em on teh runner and some new wheelin pics with the new shoes! runner looks goo d BTW teh yellow looks better than i would have guessed.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Apr 23, 2009, 09:18:17 AM »
i bet theyd fit on the taco! you outta throw one on the rear haha...

lets see em on teh runner and some new wheelin pics with the new shoes! runner looks goo d BTW teh yellow looks better than i would have guessed.
thanks!   i wont be able to mount them on the 4runner for a couple weeks, i just got back to school from spring break so i wont be home again for a bit, but as soon as they are mounted on the 4runner ill get pics up.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2009, 06:52:23 PM »
new tires are on the 4runner and they are awesome, much smoother ride than the worn out 35s.  Didnt get to wheel them yet, that will be memorial day, but i did get it flexed out with the new driveshaft and tires.

i may have overdone it with the yellow paint this time....

tires rub the leaf springs at full turn, but i think that might not happen once i get my new davesoffroad shackles installed

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2009, 06:53:29 PM »
davez offroad performance no more death wobble shackles!!

got bored with my taco lol

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
Looks good with the Iroks  :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »
Where did you get that Cb and what did it cost?...I like how small it is!
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »
Looks the same size as the Cobra 19 Ultra III which are 35 bucks.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »
rig is lookin sweet!! You will love the way the IROKS handle off road :yupyup:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »
Where did you get that Cb and what did it cost?...I like how small it is!
$42 shipped from northern tool

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2009, 10:21:03 PM »
rig is lookin sweet!! You will love the way the IROKS handle off road :yupyup:
i cant wait to break them in!  memorial day weekend!!!

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
great lookin truck....  what style rims are those??  eagle alloy 058's or different??
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2009, 01:36:11 PM »
i dont remeber the model number but i know they are procomp rims, i bought them like 6 years ago and i cant find them on 4wheelparts website so i dont think they make that exact style anymore.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2009, 10:47:55 AM »
had a hell of a weekend of wheeling and then my engine threw a rod (i think) on the way home at 10 pm last night, sat on the side of the road for an hour before another guy towing a yota came by took  his rig home and came back and got mine.  Ive got a ton of pics from the wheeling deer valley and slick rock that ill post later.