Author Topic: 86 4runner build EXO cage is under way  (Read 64608 times)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Nice Runner!

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did you get the new engine in yet???

its not in yet, they didn't have any clutches in stock so im waiting for that to show up from ups, so i should be installing it Friday or Saturday
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
the new engine

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
no progress yet, just a couple pictures of my white Christmas.

from right to left
My 01 Tacoma  my Dad's 06 Tacoma and my 86 4runner

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
nothing new, just did some snow wheeling and got a couple of pretty cool pictures of my rock lights.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

cant really tell from the pics since its so dark but the passenger side is in a rut about 2 feet deep.  slightly stuck

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
old engine coming out.  found out i had a broken motor mount.... no wonder the tranny has been jumping up and down....

:disturbed:

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
the new engine is halfway put together, just waiting on 1 last thing before it goes in, which should be this week!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
that motor looks gross lol
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
yea that old motor has seen at least 3 trucks and unknown mileage, and it was worn out to prove it.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
get that new motor in :gap:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
got the engine in today, not quite finished hooking it up, just have the radiator and fuel line left to do!!!  planning to get it running after work tomorrow.  :)

pictures in a few minutes when my internet starts cooperating.

sorry for the blurry pics, we forgot to turn the flash on and it doesnt focus well without it.

dad helping out too!
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009, 09:03:20 PM by 86turboyota »

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Nice 4runner man. Like what you have done with it. I built my 4runner on a high school/college student budget too. It can be done! :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
heck yea it can, it just takes time

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
heck yea it can, it just takes time

Oh yeah, I started saving for my 4runner when I was a senior in highschool working at freakin' McDonalds for 6 bucks an hour, seemed like it was never gonna happen lol
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
the new engine is in  :beerchug: and its so much better  :clap:, i still need to adjust the timing and idle but this thing is awesome.  I was able to go up one of the long grades near my house that i normally had to floor it and run 3rd gear at 4500 rpm just to hold momentum and now i can hold it at 3000 rpm and half throttle.

DaveZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
 :thumbs: Very nice, glad you like the engine. Thanks for the order. :greengrin:
Diamond Springs, ca 95619  530-622-2148 Dave
82 w/a 44 and a 60
http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
looks good! how did long(and how hard) did it take to mate that engine to the tranny?

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
nince runner  :biggthumpup: good job   :thumbs: now wheel that biotch and dont forget the flash  :yupyup:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
looks good! how did long(and how hard) did it take to mate that engine to the tranny?

not to long at all, we just used a big pry bar to lift the tranny up and pushed the engine backwards until they slid together, it actually went really smoothly.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
nince runner  :biggthumpup: good job   :thumbs: now wheel that biotch and dont forget the flash  :yupyup:
:usa: :beerwhack:

thanks and will do

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
sort of an update... my buddy is gonna buy my tires so im moving up to 36s or 37s, havent decided yet if im gonna go with bias 36x13.5 iroks or some 37" tsls... a bit worried about how long the bias iroks will last though.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 4runner build up
« Reply #53 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »
sold my toyos to a friend and picked up some 36x13.50x16 iroks with rims that are about 40% tread left.  Ill post some pics up later this week after tomorrows snow run.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2009, 10:12:35 PM by 86turboyota »

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 4runner build
« Reply #54 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
got the new tires and rims on, did a snow run and the tires did great, but the rims backspacing is not going to work for me, the tires are going to the hit the frame at full stuff, so im going to sell those and hopefully pick up some new iroks later this spring.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »
on saturday we did a snow run behind my house, and what a day that turned into, everyone of us got stuck at some point and at the end of the day all 4 of us were stuck and it took about 4 hours to get everyone unstuck and turned around so we could get home( at about 9pm).  On the way back my charging system decided to stop working and then my battery died about 100 yds from the pavement while i was leading and left me blocking the trail, luckily my buddy in the blue tj happened to have a spare battery that i used to get home.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #56 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »
nice pics, why not buy new rims or get spacers?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
ive got a set of 15inch rims already, and a new set of 16s or spacers is gonna be a couple hundred dollars, so by that time im within a couple hundred of what new iroks would cost, so why not just get brand new ones.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Apr 01, 2009, 08:44:48 PM »
so updates!!!!!!!!  sold my 36x13.5x16 iroks with rims and my smitty built bumper to make room for my rebuild, i should be picking up new iroks some time this month and a winch bumper from daves most likely.  I finally installed my alcan springs which moved the front axle 2" further forward and to my surprise the front driveshaft didnt pull apart and the highsteer arms didnt hit each other.  Ill be removing the body lift over spring break since i now deffinetly have room for 36s or bigger.  So far the alcans flex good, and im sure once they are broken in they will settle, cause right now they are pretty tall.  Anyone know how much they will settle once broken in?  Anyway pics to follow!

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Apr 01, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »
old springs and new springs... check out how far forward that spring pin is!

that shackle angle was a bit scary when i first set it down on the new springs, but once i drove it around a bit it got better and i think once they settle it will get much better.