Author Topic: Battery relocation  (Read 10940 times)

94SRUNNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -291
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Battery relocation
« on: Apr 02, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »
I need some advice. I want to relocate my battery to the opposite side of the engine bay. Is there anyone out there in Marlin land who has done this?
Here is are pictures of what I am talking about.
Insured by Smith and Wesson

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
Re: Battery relocation
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »
My battery is on the passenger side of the engine bay (85 22R), and the only good place to put it is right where your intake and air filter are now.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

94SRUNNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2006, 06:08:46 PM »
Those pictures are of someone elses truck, not mine. Those pictures show what I intend to do. I test fit the battery on the drivers side of the engine bay and it will work. I just would like to know who has done something like this to there truck.

Vic stuff

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 172
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.
    • View Profile
    • XT Offroad
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2006, 06:22:01 PM »
I run dual optimas in my runner but it has a 22R and my stock battery locale is where the filter is in your pic and my other one is where your stock one is probaly. what about back by your firewall on the passenger side?

EDIT: Doh! nevermind looks like you have some shizzle back there that might be tough to move
84 4Runner - 37's, Locked F/R, 4:1 (single), Cab exo, new front bumper and some more tubage coming soon! Currently parked with a blown motor :(

05 Explorer - The Wife Mobile

04 Chevy Silverado - Towrig/DD

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2006, 06:51:28 PM »
Optimas are easy to mount because they have the grooves on the sides for the handle and so they can be mounted on the display rack in the store. If you have an optima you can weld some steel straight up so the battery slides right down.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2006, 09:02:36 PM »
I did it on my old (RIP) Runner. I didn't have the nice looking elbow, I used a black rubber one. I cut and spliced the AFM harness, soldered and shrink wrapped each wire.
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

94SRUNNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2006, 07:01:13 AM »
Did cutting and splicing the AFM harness work OK. And do you have any pictures?

alpha_radiation

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 78
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:37:46 PM »
I have been thinking about doing this to my 85 22re.  I was afraid that the addition of additional wire will increase the resistance and change the way the motor ran.

I thought about running duals, and putting each battery behind the cab under the bed.  It looks like they would fit right in front of the rear tires, tucked up around the frame.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »
I have been thinking about doing this to my 85 22re.  I was afraid that the addition of additional wire will increase the resistance and change the way the motor ran.

:headscratch:

More Explain Please...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2006, 10:58:24 PM »
Did cutting and splicing the AFM harness work OK. And do you have any pictures?

I'll look, but I lost a bunch of stuff...my computer took a dump a couple of weeks ago. No, I didn't have any problems, I only added a couple of feet.
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2006, 11:02:32 PM »

I thought about running duals, and putting each battery behind the cab under the bed.  It looks like they would fit right in front of the rear tires, tucked up around the frame.

At the same time that I moved my AFM I relo'd my battery to behind the passenger's seat. I used  something like 2/0 welding cable to make the new run. I never got the chance to add the 2nd battery...the poor thing was totaled by some !@@)()*)$@## woman on a cell phone. I was stopped, she was doing 60! That was the only time in my life I've ever been knocked out!
Mark

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2006, 11:53:31 PM »

Nope, I would not be worried about it. The additional resistance caused by the longer signal wires (as the other wires do not matter) will not be enough to throw the sensor out of its operational range as specified by the ECU. There is a degree of error, more or less resistance, which is within a predetermined range. If the sensor is operating within this range, then it just takes the readings as is (comparatively) and the circuit operates normally.

I do not think it would cause the AFM to operate out of the requested range (and thereby cause a check code) and it should run just like stock.

In my experience, I have lengthened my TPS sensor on my MR2 by about 3 1/2 feet and it worked just fine. Also, on Bevin's 3RZ, I had to lengthen his rear Exhaust sensor (not an actual o2 sensor I think, it is unshielded) by a good 6 feet!! and it reads just fine and within range on the OBD-II scanner, no check codes.

I believe the sensors that you want to be more careful with are with pizo-type (AC Generative) sensors, such as a knock sensor.

Putting the Air filter on the passengers side with a 22R-E is an excellent idea and they should have done that from the factory. The thing I would hate the most is the heat absorption from taking the air intake charge up and over the radiator. Not a cool setup

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

94SRUNNER [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2006, 07:09:56 AM »
BigMike

Any ideas on constructing a battery platform on the drivers side where the air filter typically goes? It has to be a solid platform in order to pass a technical inspection.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »
be creative, weld up a nice little rectangle of angle iron for the base to start out and go from there.  Weld if right to the body

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »
We relocated the battery on Bevin's 2nd gen when we did the 3RZ swap but I don't think it has been mounted yet. I believe it is just sitting there, but if feels pretty solid. Maybe he did put a bracket on there... I don't remember

Here is an older picture:

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »
werks just fine.. my battery is behind my cab. i just made longer leads    my intake it also on the passenger side now as well.. i just lengthend my AFM wires.. no problemo.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

alpha_radiation

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 78
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2006, 01:18:38 PM »
Thanks Mike.  As long as the resistance value stays in the deadband of the sensor it will be good.

If anyone cuts their harness to do work, make sure that you solder and use heat shrink tube.  Try and stay away from solderless connectors and tape.

genericposter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Mar '05
  • r0ar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2006, 09:30:55 AM »
If anyone cuts their harness to do work, make sure that you solder and use heat shrink tube.  Try and stay away from solderless connectors and tape.

I always use the heat shrink and than wrap it in tape to cover the ends. Just to be sure nothing will get in.
84 4Runner - 4.88s, Rear Locker, 33"s
Senior Airman USAF
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2006, 06:47:41 PM »
I prefer adhesive lined wall heat shrink tubing.  It has an adhesive inside that melts and seals the ends when you shrink it.  That means no tape to unravel later on.  You can usually get it in a 3:1 shrink ratio that is good for most wiring repairs.

Also, although I haven't done mine yet, on a 89 and newer 22re, you could just unwrap the AFM/ ignition coil harness and take the AFM harness out.  The takeout for them is at the same spot, right there at the intake manifold.  So if you removed the AFM harness and re-wrapped it by itself, then it would run out of the stock harness and down to the AFM on the passenger side.  No extending the wires.  In fact, you might have some extra harness as it doesn't have to run all the way around the engine compartment.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2006, 06:55:54 PM »
I need some advice. I want to relocate my battery to the opposite side of the engine bay. Is there anyone out there in Marlin land who has done this?
Here is are pictures of what I am talking about.

Also, I just noticed the third picture.  Note the bright yellow hose.  It appears to go from the intake tube to the PAIR resevoir.  That is bad.  On the stock setup PAIR intake is on the unmetered side (air filter side)of the AFM.  Not on the metered (throttle body)side.  This setup would mean the engine is seeing the airflow being used for air injection, and thinking it is going into the engine.  Resulting in a rich condition.

Hooch

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -76
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2006, 04:22:31 PM »
This is the best way I've seen to put them both under the hood. This guy did it on the pass side but you can do the same on the drivers side no prob.

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/memberstuff/al/Toyota%20Dual%20Battery%20Install%20Part%20I.pdf

Hooch

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2006, 04:25:19 PM »

Hooch

• Offline Rock Crawl'n