Author Topic: Three things I'm stoked about modifying  (Read 8526 times)

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
Three things I'm stoked about modifying
« on: Nov 01, 2003, 09:38:07 PM »
 :driving:
Howdy, I figured, hey, why not be the first person to post up on this board. Okay so there are three things I've recently done to my truck that I'm really stoked on.  Here is my brief write up:
1. Clutch master Cylinder:
Tools: Needle nose pliers, 3/8s drive w/ 6" ext and a swivelly joint with a 12 millimeter socket on the end. 10 millimeter flare-nut wrench, Brake fluid, and some rags

1. pull  cotter pin connecting master cylinder piston to clutch pedal w/needle nosers
2. disconnect fitting- 10 mil flare nut, loosen it and soak up fluid with rag-keep your paint happy.
3. Undo bolts holding MC to the firewall.  Pull
4. Install is reverse of removal-bleed lines, adjust pedal for proper height and freeplay.  Height I think is 5 and about 1/8 inches-consult manual, and freeplay is between about an 1/8 and 5/16.
5. now your foot won't slip off your slippery, brake fluid covered clutch pedal. Mine feels great and added a much more linear feel to my clutch.

3 row radiator and 180F thermostat.
1. Watch temp needle rise-cuss.
2. get yourself a three row radiator from a reputable source, I got one that was designed for a V6 second gen, but connected it to my 22re-150% more cooling capacity-booyah.
3. pull off fan shroud, drain coolant, disconnect hoses-cuss at mud clogged radiator-pray for a functional head gasket!.  Put fancy new radiator in
5. change the hoses you lazy cheapo, it's worth it
6. replace t-stat, don't tighten dem bolts too much, you don't want to crack the housing. also put some RTV to help the seal.
7. double check everything, put back on fan shroud, fill with water and coolant.
8. dispose properly of used coolant-keep the environment and your pets happy.
9. start motor with cap off of radiator-bubbles? no, phew
10. Drive back to school and watch that gauge stay steady no matter what.

And finally the best:
Under hood light.
1. Go to junkyard
2. locate dodge caravan-there are tons of these things!
3. Rob the suspension off of it and put in on your rockcrawler.
4. step #3 was a joke)
5. lift the hood and remove the light with a tiny little socket (8 mil?)
6. Cut the wire such that the little connector is still attached to light-you'll be glad.
7. use some self tapping screws and mount the light to the underside of your hood
8. Run a wire to the battery
9. I had to run a ground wire to the firewall because it wouldn't ground through my hood.
10. enjoy the gravity switch that turns it on when you open the hood or go up a steep hill.

That's all-very in depth I know, but these are three things that I did that I'm way stoked on. I know you will be too! And boy, so difficult, I don't even know how I did it!
enjoy!

85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

gferris5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
Re:Three things I'm stoked about modifying
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2003, 07:43:48 PM »
What? nobody thinks this is even a little funny?
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2003, 05:32:42 PM »
Good radiator - '83 Toyota diesel!!  Comes as a three core and fits '79-'88 as a drop in.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2003, 07:43:04 AM »
 :driving:hey i like that hood light idea,  :thumbs:thats a deffinite done deal :beerchug:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

gferris5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2003, 01:21:38 AM »
yea! some feedback! I knew you guys would be as stoked as I am! the hood light is way sweet and that temp needle is stuck in the hanging limp down position!  Thanks for the feedback, I felt this board needed a little, if even a silly, posting.

98runner chevota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 361
  • Member since Dec '02
  • PoP pOp Fizz fIZZ oh it must be a BIRF. It is!!
    • View Profile
    • PortlandBusinessGraphics.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2003, 08:35:28 AM »
 :shocking: :shocking: :crazy:
The light deal sounds good but wouldng a light out of a 88-93ish chevy pu be better the one with the light that has a magnet and a reel cord connected so that you have a light that can go anywhere on the vehicle within i think it is 15 or so feet. It is a safety light for doing tire changes and things like that.
Mark :smack: :laugh: :bowdown:
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2003, 08:44:11 AM by xxx 85 toy »
1998 4runner with 4.3 liter Chevy vortex/ turbo 400/ 205 tcase/ hi pinion 44 up front with 4.88 arbs front and rear/ rear is a turbo with 4.88s/ 63" Chevy's in rear with 5 in Chevy's in front/

gferris5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2003, 07:36:35 PM »
Yeah for sure, my friend has one like that and I couldn't find one in all the junk yard, I just settled for what I could find...the magnet and retractable wire are wicked cool though.

Rock_Starr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:07:27 PM »
Good work. And nice dual lockers.
Free wisdom for all:
"Spend your beer money on yourself, sex with strangers is often weird and uncomfortable, marriage ruins everything, and oh yeah, Gatorade is delicious."

yotacrawler85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '03
  • east coast ROCKS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2003, 11:54:32 AM »
i like the uder the hood light idea..... i went to the junkard to check it out and there are a few other vehicles that have the same type of switch
85 cab on a 87 sas frame with 6 inch lift, 15x10 wheels, 34-10.50 swampers, all pro high steer, shock hoops, dual diff guards, in cab roll cage, rancho 5000s, all poly bushings remote diff breathers front and rear recievers, welded rear(4:30's) 22re

Toyoballs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -164
  • Member since Dec '03
  • The Slow and The Dangerous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2004, 08:26:11 PM »
Late 80's Ford pickups have the retractable light bulb cord and gravity switch - but no magnent - ehhhh - make your wife hold it...
Just Grind It Down To Metric...

"MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
Extreme Off-Road Club

gferris5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »
if she hasn't stormed off already because her husband insists on driving crappy old trucks everywhere that strand you in the dark...(not personal experience-just a projection)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2004, 01:04:01 PM »
..(not personal experience-just a projection)
:down: yeah right  :talkingn:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:02:22 PM »
WELL SPEAKING OF LIGHTS, In my 1st gen 89 4runner there is a socket to plug in a 9V light for fixing things on the trail thats very cool, however I am not the orginal owner as I was 5 years old when it was made haha.  Has anyone ever seen the light toyota supplied? I would love to buy an orignal, if any one wants a pick of the socket I will post it, its beside yota hood release, that would be in front of your left knee when your driving.

rocktoy74

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 213
  • Member since Jun '02
  • I WANT FRONT DIG!
    • View Profile
Re: Three things I'm stoked about modifying
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2005, 06:31:29 AM »
Here Is a pic of the light Toyota supplied with the vehicle The ex has a fully loade 85 runer and It has this option and I found a factory light to go In the truck.
84' XTRA Cab, 22R, R151, Dual cases W/Marlin Crawler 23 Spline 4.70 Total Spline and 23 spline 2.28 Crawlbox, Alcans, Bilstein 5125's, HP 529, V6 529, HAD Shafts, FROR Full Floater, Old School AllPro Crossmember, Marlin Crawler High Steer, Marlin Crawler Bumpers and Sliders

4x4fiend

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2005, 06:59:52 PM »
so thats what that plug is for eh (refering to rocktoy74's post). i got a light from princess auto, about 2x4" rectangle, think its for tractors or something. i dont know if anyones ever seen the old jeeps, had one that popped up next to the radiator but htat wehre i put mine, doesnt reach the entire bay directly but its bright enough to see all u need. it also has a swivel mount so it moves nicely.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2005, 07:32:51 PM »
Good info about the under-hood light, I was about to hit the wreckng yard and was gonna look for one

Oh, and when I read step #3 I was laughing, nice :beer:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

gferris5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2005, 02:49:56 PM »
wow,  I can't believe this thread is still alive and well.  As an update--my underhood light is good, but the best thing has been that radiator--I drove down I-5 in the middle of the summer on the hottest day with the AC on and that needle didn't even get close to half-way.  The only draw back is that the heater does not get the cab as hot as with the old radiator.

BigMike--if you can find the Caravan or similar domestic vehicle with the magnetic/retractable light, that is the coolest and best one, it'll even reach down to your tires if you need it to.
Good luck

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »
I just found a factory toyota under hood light in an 84 celica and bought it, i will be installing it in my 86 4Runner.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »
WOW! Another back from the dead thread. Cool find though! :thumbs: